Menu

Happy Mask cleansing?

Not_a_Number

All the adults around here are vaccinated, and the cases in the Northeast are plummeting just like they did last year. As a result, I plan to be relatively open during this summer, although this is within the constraints of still being careful. Specifically, I plan to do masked outdoor playdates with other kids. 

Right now, we all wear Happy Masks, which works very well for them -- they like the patterns, they stay on well, and generally no one is complaining about them anymore. However, I have misgivings about cleaning these: I have no idea they've actually CHECKED that dunking their filters in water is a good idea. 

I know I could buy other masks that may technically be better tested, but having masks that stay on well and that the kids don't fuss about is a huge win, so I'd like to see if I can make these work. (Plus, they do at least have a filter and provide a decent seal.) 

Do you think it'd be a good idea to simply let the masks sit for a few days after use and rotate through them instead of washing them? Thoughts? I could also stick them in the sunlight, although I'm looking it up and seeing that most windows don't let in UVB rays, which is what seems to kill the viruses... I suppose we could open a window, though? 

Other ideas welcome! 

Hmm...depends on how grungy they are. Oils from skin and dead skin cells aren't going to come out with sunshine. You have little kids, so this is less of an issue, but it's definitely a thing with teens and adults if they are exerting themselves much. 

I do think sunlight will kill germs though.

Just now, kbutton said:

Hmm...depends on how grungy they are. Oils from skin and dead skin cells aren't going to come out with sunshine. You have little kids, so this is less of an issue, but it's definitely a thing with teens and adults if they are exerting themselves much. 

I do think sunlight will kill germs though.

I don't think I'd mind "spot cleaning" them somehow, I just don't know that I want to dunk them, you know? 

• Like 2

From what I understand, they tested how many washes (swishing in cool water with a drop of dish soap) before the mask no longer performed as well as new. They have more information now about the number of hours the mask can be in use which is approximately 250 before the interior filter builds up too many particles and starts to inhibit breathing.

You shouldn't twist/wring the mask though. I gently press it between my hands in the folded position to get excess water out after I rinse before I hang it up to dry.

The repeated wash test was performed by the Sun Yat Sen Medical School.

I don't know if it matters to you or not, but this is overwhelmningly the go to reusable mask for the Berkeley alum moms who are health professionals (dentists, doctors, nurses, optometrists) that I participate in. I also noticed the bottom of their home page now has a number of written testimonialss by physicans.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, calbear said:

From what I understand, they tested how many washes (swishing in cool water with a drop of dish soap) before the mask no longer performed as well as new. They have more information now about the number of hours the mask can be in use which is approximately 250 before the interior filter builds up too many particles and starts to inhibit breathing.

That’s interesting and new info for me. Did you see this on their website somewhere?

20 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I know I could buy other masks that may technically be better tested, but having masks that stay on well and that the kids don't fuss about is a huge win, so I'd like to see if I can make these work. (Plus, they do at least have a filter and provide a decent seal.) 

Do you think it'd be a good idea to simply let the masks sit for a few days after use and rotate through them instead of washing them? Thoughts? I could also stick them in the sunlight, although I'm looking it up and seeing that most windows don't let in UVB rays, which is what seems to kill the viruses... I suppose we could open a window, though? 

Other ideas welcome! 

Broken record alert: I’d buy one pack of these and be done with it:

https://www.amazon.com/20Packs-KIDS-KF94-Protective-Individually/dp/B08X47VFH7/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bluna+snall&qid=1620691775&sr=8-1

They’re tested, adjustable, comfortable, and super breathable. My kids are all perfectly happy to wear them and have no issues with them slipping at all. I just rotate them so the same one isn’t being worn in a row. Preferably five days in between, but if we’re just outside, I don’t worry about the number of days. Only if I had to go inside, like when I got my vaccine. I was good cloth masks all the way in the beginning, and made lots of them, but I switched to these once the variants arrived and cases were surging. Partly because of the washing issue. The inner layer of my cloth masks is the same material as a surgical mask, but once I wash it, I don’t trust it retains its electrostatic properties.

I think your plan with a happy mask sounds fine as well, especially since you’re using them for outside. If your kids were going back to school or something I would think differently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

That’s interesting and new info for me. Did you see this on their website somewhere?

Broken record alert: I’d buy one pack of these and be done with it:

https://www.amazon.com/20Packs-KIDS-KF94-Protective-Individually/dp/B08X47VFH7/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bluna+snall&qid=1620691775&sr=8-1

They’re tested, adjustable, comfortable, and super breathable. My kids are all perfectly happy to wear them and have no issues with them slipping at all. I just rotate them so the same one isn’t being worn in a row. Preferably five days in between, but if we’re just outside, I don’t worry about the number of days. Only if I had to go inside, like when I got my vaccine. I was good cloth masks all the way in the beginning, and made lots of them, but I switched to these once the variants arrived and cases were surging. Partly because of the washing issue. The inner layer of my cloth masks is the same material as a surgical mask, but once I wash it, I don’t trust it retains its electrostatic properties.

I will absolutely keep these in mind -- I remember you suggesting these on the other thread. But I feel like my chances of good compliance go up if we have pretty patterns, especially with DD5. And Happy Masks do have a tested filter at least, right? I know that's not the same as actually tested masks, though... 

I think your plan with a happy mask sounds fine as well, especially since you’re using them for outside. If your kids were going back to school or something I would think differently.

Yeah, I'd have to think really hard about that set up. Because, again, a mask that actually gets WORN is worth a lot more than a mask that doesn't, but on the other hand, you want maximal protection. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

The info about the wash test is on the website. The lab testing reports about the filter is actually now uploaded as a pdf on their website as well.

Honestly, for me the mask that gets worn and stays on is a big driver. For me, this is the only mask that I can personally tolerate for long periods of time. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, calbear said:

The info about the wash test is on the website. The lab testing reports about the filter is actually now uploaded as a pdf on their website as well.

Super interesting. I wish I knew what a "Repeated Wash Test" is, though... did they get equally good filtration after their washing? 

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Super interesting. I wish I knew what a "Repeated Wash Test" is, though... did they get equally good filtration after their washing? 

This is what is on their website:

Our masks feature a wafer-thin nanofiber membrane, which is considered the gold standard in filtration efficiency. Our filter is especially unique in that it is washable, which enables each to be sewn-in for corner to corner coverage. In fact, our filters have been tested to maintain their efficacy for at least 50 washes, as proven through a Repeated Wash Test conducted at respirator testing laboratory OSH

• Like 1

Just now, calbear said:

This is what is on their website:

Our masks feature a wafer-thin nanofiber membrane, which is considered the gold standard in filtration efficiency. Our filter is especially unique in that it is washable, which enables each to be sewn-in for corner to corner coverage. In fact, our filters have been tested to maintain their efficacy for at least 50 washes, as proven through a Repeated Wash Test conducted at respirator testing laboratory OSH

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I wish I knew what it was, lol -- but it does sound like they tested efficacy after washes! 

This is completely anecdotal. My friend works every day providing afterschool care for a local private school. Said private school has had many outbreaks this past year. She was personally close contact for 7 of those outbreaks. She has endured multiple Covid tests and credits Happy Mask for keeping her safe while many others around her (adults & students). She finally has gotten her first dose of Pfizer and will get her 2nd soon. She tells me so loves her mask.  Her husband uses Happy Mask as well, and he works in bio tech lab in our area. He uses it when he doesn't have access to the masks that they use inside the lab. They have 3 kids in college, so he actually moonlights on the weekends at Costco as well and wears that mask there. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, calbear said:

This is completely anecdotal. My friend works every day providing afterschool care for a local private school. Said private school has had many outbreaks this past year. She was personally close contact for 7 of those outbreaks. She has endured multiple Covid tests and credits Happy Mask for keeping her safe while many others around her (adults & students). She finally has gotten her first dose of Pfizer and will get her 2nd soon. She tells me so loves her mask.  Her husband uses Happy Mask as well, and he works in bio tech lab in our area. He uses it when he doesn't have access to the masks that they use inside the lab.

Anecdotal but definitely encouraging. 

I had the same concerns about Happy Masks, but from what I can tell nanofiber filters like they use can indeed be washed and reused a lot without losing much effectiveness. In addition to their own testing, I've found stuff like this: https://www.fastcompany.com/90480804/these-face-masks-are-designed-to-be-washed-and-reused . I don't know how similar nanofiber filters from different manufacturers are, but I eventually decided I was as convinced as I was going to get without learning a lot more...chemistry? whatever I'd need to learn to understand how filters work better. More anecdotal Happy Mask support: my husband has worn them (usually layered with a surgical mask) all year teaching high school, had covid + students in his room at least 3 or 4 times during the year, and no problems. I kept considering getting him kn95s instead, but the Happy Masks fit him well and are relatively comfortable, and relatively comfortable is really important when you're wearing masks 8+ hours every day. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I will absolutely keep these in mind -- I remember you suggesting these on the other thread. But I feel like my chances of good compliance go up if we have pretty patterns, especially with DD5.

Patterns 😁https://behealthyusa.net/collections/small/products/posh-kf94-kids-mask-a03?variant=39611981037732

My kids all had cute patterns for their cloth masks, but they like these so well they prefer them now over cloth usually. Fortunately none of them have had any issue wearing masks, though. It’s like wearing a seatbelt, I guess. It’s just what you do to be safe. But seriously, I see no issue with the Happy masks for the situation as you describe. I think outdoors they’re mostly functioning as droplet protection anyway. No aerosols are going to build up outside.

1 minute ago, kokotg said:

I kept considering getting him kn95s instead, but the Happy Masks fit him well and are relatively comfortable, and relatively comfortable is really important when you're wearing masks 8+ hours every day. 

Right, "relatively comfortable and cute" is really a winning combinations ove here. 

But do these have narwhals on them?? Noooo 😛 . 

My kids all had cute patterns for their cloth masks, but they like these so well they prefer them now over cloth usually. Fortunately none of them have had any issue wearing masks, though. It’s like wearing a seatbelt, I guess. It’s just what you do to be safe. But seriously, I see no issue with the Happy masks for the situation as you describe. I think outdoors they’re mostly functioning as droplet protection anyway. No aerosols are going to build up outside.

I guess the sunlight kills anything that builds up outside, anyway. You're right. 

Now I can't decide if I should wash them or not 😛 

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I wish I knew what it was, lol -- but it does sound like they tested efficacy after washes! 

You could email Happy Masks and ask them for the details of their Repeat Wash Test.  They are pretty good about responding to questions by email. 

(If you do, let me know what  you find out ) 🙂

Airing the ask for a few days will minimized covid self-contamination risk.  But the inside surface of masks gets pretty gross - respiratory droplets, sneezes, snot..... I'd probably wash.

• Like 1