Menu

I took the plunge. I forked out $$ for a 1993 Kingfisher...ugh.

Melissa in CA

I have NO idea if this book will help us with outlining. No idea. All I do know is that the Usborne World History book has been useless in that regard. It's just too condensed. And, after looking through the 2004 Kingfisher, I didn't see a big difference from it and Usborne, so I did not want to spend the money. Other books people have recommended such as the Oxford book and the visual something-or-other book, did not at all appeal to me. And I do NOT want a history book that has a picture of a monkey turning into a man. :tongue_smilie: Bleh. That, to ME, is not history...it is science fiction. (no flames please...I am entitled to my opinion. ;)) Whether the 1993 Kingfisher is any better I have no clue. I had to buy it sight unseen. All I know is that it is the white 1993 edition entitled Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World.

I am assuming I will be able to sell it should I dislike it...any pre-offers? :w00t: :lol:

*sigh* This is my main concern with expert recommendations. You could have used any history textbook as a spine and to teach outlining. You really needn't spend a ton of money for an out of print history "encyclopedia." There is nothing magical or miraculous about the Kingfisher book -- whether it's the 1993 or the later edition (which is also now out of print).

Perhaps it would be more helpful if we all knew WHY the Kingfisher had been recommended in the first place. Thorough coverage? Succinct coverage but wordy enough to outline (as opposed to Usborne which is already all but an outline)? Nice pictures to capture interest?

If we knew the criteria maybe then we could find a suitable, stable substitute. One that isn't going in and out of print and costing people fortunes that most of us don't have to spend on a book.

And to be perfectly honest, I think we already DO know the criteria. So let's think about those things and find something else that meets them.

Does your library have a copy of the white Kingfisher? You would at least be able to see it and get a better idea of whether it really is the answer for you or not. Can you back out of the sale? I'd look a little further before plunking down the big bucks on this. Sorry :(

I apologize if I sound anything other than helpful. I don't mean to be critical or discouraging; I truly am trying to help :)

*sigh* This is my main concern with expert recommendations. You could have used any history textbook as a spine and to teach outlining. You really needn't spend a ton of money for an out of print history "encyclopedia." There is nothing magical or miraculous about the Kingfisher book -- whether it's the 1993 or the later edition (which is also now out of print).

Perhaps it would be more helpful if we all knew WHY the Kingfisher had been recommended in the first place. Thorough coverage? Succinct coverage but wordy enough to outline (as opposed to Usborne which is already all but an outline)? Nice pictures to capture interest?

If we knew the criteria maybe then we could find a suitable, stable substitute. One that isn't going in and out of print and costing people fortunes that most of us don't have to spend on a book.

And to be perfectly honest, I think we already DO know the criteria. So let's think about those things and find something else that meets them.

Does your library have a copy of the white Kingfisher? You would at least be able to see it and get a better idea of whether it really is the answer for you or not. Can you back out of the sale? I'd look a little further before plunking down the big bucks on this. Sorry :(

I apologize if I sound anything other than helpful. I don't mean to be critical or discouraging; I truly am trying to help :)

:iagree:

I use the KIHW, because I really do find it easier to teach outlining/how to write an essay using it rather than any other history book I have (quite a few!). That said, I'm not certain it's *necessary* to teach outlining/essay construction from one source at home given the numerous library books out there in the world. (It does make life easier on me!)

I just checked for you, and the KIHW starts with a section on archaeologists and what they do, then they begin "history" with the Ice Age, and the first farmers in Mesopotamia. So, it sounds like you'll be pleased.

I also just recently bought a copy as well as a copy of the 2004 version. I got them for about $40 each, which I felt was reasonable. I know one would have been sufficient but since starting hsing I've become a bit of a history buff and have also found out that what usually works for my oldest ds, doesn't work for my dd, and who knows with my younger ds LOL

.. any of the others that are available.

I have looked at the KHE and the 2 Usborne volumes, and neither of them is good to outline. SOTW is OK, but KIHW is much easier if someone is just learning--I think that it is truly ideal, with actual paragraphs that are short enough to be easy but long enough to have several ideas.

I just typed in the 1993 ed. and there were quite a few under 35.00 so if anyone wants it then go there for it.

Jeana

Really? When I clicked on the "used and new" link from the 1993 page, the book offered was the 2004 edition. Those were under 25. The used 1993 editions (clicking just the used link) took me to a page of actual 1993 copies, and they were all over 45. Curious.

I just typed in the 1993 ed. and there were quite a few under 35.00 so if anyone wants it then go there for it.

Jeana

Well, not anymore! I purchased one of the cheapest Amazon had, and the cheapest was $48.95 with the most expensive being $114. They only have twelve left available at this time...they did have thirteen. ;)

When the original version of the WTM was current and the Kingfisher had gone out of print, it sold for $100 or more. I know because I ended up with 2 and I sold one on ebay for $105 before shipping about 6 years ago. It was a very highly sought after book.

In my opinion, paying $30-40 for a book of its size is not that outrageous. It is a resource that will last you many years as a spine for your history curriculum and can be used for multiple children. I like it better than any of the others I've seen on the market. It seems to be holding its value, so if you decide it isn't for you, you can always resell it. Also, if you get it and you love it, then it is definitely money well spent.:001_smile:

JMO,

Joy

I think it is all this talk on the TWTM board that has people going and buying the cheaper ones.

My plan is to wait a little while until all this chatter dies down and they might be pretty reasonable again.

Julie

Are you sure it was the 1993 ed. you saw for $21.95? When I first began looking at them I was a bit tricked by Amazon's site. I was on the page for the white, 1993 ed. but when I clicked on the used book link I was taken to many books for around $19+. I was amazed...until I realized it was for the red 2004 ed. and not for the white at all! Be very careful. ;)

When the original version of the WTM was current and the Kingfisher had gone out of print, it sold for $100 or more. I know because I ended up with 2 and I sold one on ebay for $105 before shipping about 6 years ago. It was a very highly sought after book.

In my opinion, paying $30-40 for a book of its size is not that outrageous. It is a resource that will last you many years as a spine for your history curriculum and can be used for multiple children. I like it better than any of the others I've seen on the market. It seems to be holding its value, so if you decide it isn't for you, you can always resell it. Also, if you get it and you love it, then it is definitely money well spent.:001_smile:

JMO,

Joy

I appreciate your perspective Joy. :D I paid, with shipping, $51 for a book that hopefully will help my son learn outlining better, and history as well. Something he can use for several more years. When I consider that I have paid as much for some of my BJU TE's that are used for only a year, the Kingfisher book was actually a good buy. ;)

I'll maintain that positive perspective..it makes the $51 more palatable and keeps the guilt at a reasonable level. :lol::D

I got the white 93 edition last week from a used seller on amazon for $26. It was before all the talk on the boards. I got it in the mail Friday and the content makes for easier outlining. Previously we used the red edition (2004?) and it was hard to outline. I hope Peace Hill is able to obtain the rights to that book, because we haven't found another book with all the time periods that we like. For my older boys I've cobbled together sources from usborne and hakim. This is going to make things much easier, as far as pick up the book and go.

Thanks Donna. I truly do understand what you're saying, and could have written some of this myself last year when first reading WTM.;) I definitely did not run out and purchase a Kingfisher. I, instead, tried to use what we have. I suppose I could have purchased a regular textbook...such as BJU's Heritage Studies. To be honest, I did not actually consider that. :confused:

Anyhow, I'm afraid I was becoming a bit desperate in trying to teach outlining with various sources that were not working out, so I finally decided it might be best to go with the WTM's actual recommendation. But, when looking at the red book I was discouraged by it's layout. :tongue_smilie: It did not appear to be any better than the sources we were trying to use! I then began hearing about the original "white" book and decided to investigate that one a bit more. From what I have read, it sounds ideal for teaching outlining. Yet, I still hesitated and searched for something cheaper. I did not like what I saw. So, I decided to take the plunge with fingers crossed.

Perhaps if it does not work out I will consider a textbook. Yet, hmmm, I don't want anything too wordy.:001_huh: My son has plenty of reading to accomplish weekly with TOG and adding on chapters in a textbook might cause a major revolt. Well, I will cross that bridge if I come to it. For now, I will sit back and wait excitedly for my 1993 Kingfisher to arrive. :D

Thanks for your help!

I got the white 93 edition last week from a used seller on amazon for $26. It was before all the talk on the boards. I got it in the mail Friday and the content makes for easier outlining....

I also bought a used 1993 edition last week...in fact, the day before all the talk started...I got mine at Alibris from a used seller in the UK for US$17.82, which included shipping. Now at the same link they're going for $48+. If someone wanted one, I'd be inclined to wait until the hubbub dies down.

I also bought a used 1993 edition last week...in fact, the day before all the talk started...I got mine at Alibris from a used seller in the UK for US$17.82, which included shipping. Now at the same link they're going for $48+. If someone wanted one, I'd be inclined to wait until the hubbub dies down.

Wow Heather...great deal! :w00t: I apparently hesitated too long in "taking the plunge." :glare:

I wonder how things will play out with the red edition now oop. Will the resale value of the '93 ed. go even higher and higher. :confused: I think, if I hadn't already purchased one, that I would still purchase it at $48. Besides, I need it NOW! When I do finally make a decision I get very impatient. :lol:

Are you sure it was the 1993 ed. you saw for $21.95? When I first began looking at them I was a bit tricked by Amazon's site. I was on the page for the white, 1993 ed. but when I clicked on the used book link I was taken to many books for around $19+. I was amazed...until I realized it was for the red 2004 ed. and not for the white at all! Be very careful. ;)

On the used page it had a picture of the white Kingfisher at the top. I did click another link first because it was cheaper and it took me to the red. After I realized it, I went back and found the link for the white.

I know I should have bought it right then. I could beat myself.

Julie

I couldn't agree more with what you said here, Donna. Of course, I disagree with the expert recommendation to have students outline student encyclopedia entries, so...:)