Menu

Need a Christmas craft for boys

Does anyone know of a Christmas craft that elementary aged boys would really enjoy? I would prefer something with wood involved, even craft sticks. This is for a meeting with our homeschool group. We'll have about 1.5 hours to complete it. The moms will be there, so it should be something for the whole family, something for their own room, or even a gift for another family member. It would also be great if it had a religious theme.

Thanks!

We simply used acrylic paint and googly eyes to make wooden ornaments (purchased from AC Moore for about $1 each). I didn't do the beaded ones, because I didn't want to purchase the tools for that craft :D

You could also paint a frame, or do a torn paper decopauge (buy the blank frame... nothing expensive, unfinished), tear up a few different types of printed paper... could be wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, plain colored paper), use glue stick and glue the torn bits (overlapping) to the frame. Let dry, then cover in a decopauge medium (water based is fine). You could also add stickers or something else.

there are also lots of foam and felt kits too... or buy some green felt, have children cut 3 triangles, one small, one medium, one large. Arrange with largest triangle on the bottom, medium in the middle and smallest on top, glue together. Decorate with glitter, sequins, miscellaneous buttons, etc. make small hole at the top and use a pipe cleaner to make a loop (or you could use a large paper clip and unfold it to make a hanger).

That's all I've got right now...

A couple of years ago my son and I made reindeer out of clothespins. It's hard to describe, but easy to get when you see the picture.

http://crafts.kaboose.com/clothespin-reindeer.html

You could either paint them brown or use brown markers to color them, if you wish. J and I used black paint for hooves for the boy reindeer, and pink for girl hooves.

On a few of them we actually glued three sets of legs together to see if any family members noticed! :001_huh:

We are doing an angel. You roll a decorated piece of posterboard - the smaller ones (I am going to let the kids paint on it first). Then you use a wooden ball for the head (or anything else you want to use), yarn for the hair, draw a face on, then use a pipe cleaner for the halo. They are really cute and they can be used as an ornament or even a tree topper.

My son's favorite Christmas ornaments to make around upper elementary age were like the one illustrated on this blog. This was done at a 4-H session where some simple holiday images (snowman, tree, etc.) were provided with the dots to pound with the nail already in place. Given how most boys love to pound, this was a mega hit.

You just need to find a source for juice can lids.

Jane

ETA: Here is another website with some simple designs to copy.