Menu

Kate Snow Math

Elizabeth86

I am pilot testing her 2nd grade curriculum right now and we love it. I did not pilot test K or 1st, so I can't give you specifics about them, but I can give a general overview. 

If you like her Facts that Stick books, you will probably like her curriculum. She incorporates a lot of hands on learning with household items and a lot of games. Workbook pages are colorful. I think in the K level it is 1 workbook page a day, 2nd grade is 2 pages. The teacher's guide is fully scripted and daily review is built in. It is a 4 day a week program with an optional 5th day enrichment that involves reading a picture book and doing a small activity related to the book or to review the week's lessons. 

By her own description, her curriculum is "middle of the road" in difficulty. We moved from Singapore Dimensions math to her curriculum for my 2nd grader and I would say her curriculum moves at a gentler pace, has much simpler word problems, and fewer daily problems. 

Overall I think her curriculum builds a strong foundation and strong number sense. I feel like it gives kids confidence in math as well as building confidence for a homeschooling parent teaching math.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, amiesmom said:

By her own description, her curriculum is "middle of the road" in difficulty. We moved from Singapore Dimensions math to her curriculum for my 2nd grader and I would say her curriculum moves at a gentler pace, has much simpler word problems, and fewer daily problems. 

Overall I think her curriculum builds a strong foundation and strong number sense. I feel like it gives kids confidence in math as well as building confidence for a homeschooling parent teaching math.

My middle DS is having some frustrations with Singapore Primary (DS 1 did just fine with it) and I'm wondering if for the rest of this year & maybe next we should try something else. He doesn't like righting down the problems & doesn't like to do lots of problems but does them usually fine. He's in 2B now. Wondering if this might be a good curriculum to look at for that short term change up.

39 minutes ago, mrsfellman said:

My middle DS is having some frustrations with Singapore Primary (DS 1 did just fine with it) and I'm wondering if for the rest of this year & maybe next we should try something else. He doesn't like righting down the problems & doesn't like to do lots of problems but does them usually fine. He's in 2B now. Wondering if this might be a good curriculum to look at for that short term change up.

Unfortunately she only has the K curriculum out right now, 1st is scheduled to be released this May. If you sign up on her website to receive emails, she will send out an email later this year looking for pilot testers for 3rd grade. It has definitely been a welcome change in our home.

• Like 1

I’m using Kindergarten Math with Confidence, and I’ve really enjoyed it this year.  It’s gentle with lots of hands on opportunities. The lessons are short, incorporate review, and there’s one worksheet per lesson.  My kid using it this year is prone to anxiety, especially when he thinks things are “too hard”, and this has been perfect for him.  It’s scheduled four days a week, so I have lots of time to add in extra games or play with c-rods or whatever.  There is also a picture book suggestion for every chapter which is nice.

I’v used RSA for my previous kindergarteners, but I knew this kid would not thrive on the way RightStart jumps around in a somewhat erratic spiral.  This program is more mastery based with built in review.  Also, I have a 1st and 2nd grader right now; I could not handle RS’ many pieces this year.  I do find myself pulling some things in from RS (tally sticks and the abacus) but that’s because I own them.  The one thing not really covered at all is place value, which the author clearly states and says will be covered in the first grade book.  We’ve gone ahead and done some place value work when it was appropriate, but I don’t know if you need to.

I’m looking forward to the 1st grade book and planning to use it for this kid, at least.  I have one more coming up, but she’s three so I don’t have to think about her yet!

Full disclosure, all of my kids have started RSA between 4 and 4.5, so my kid using Kindergarten Math With Confidence started just before 4.5

ETA: To give you a picture of my year, I'm also homeschooling my neighbor's kids this year.  So I have two second grade age kids, one first grade, one kinder, one preschool, and my three year old.  I needed a program that was doable, would make my little guy feel accomplished, and would move him forward without making my lose my mind.  I truly only have 15 minutes scheduled to sit down with him for math, and we can easily accomplish a lesson in that time.  Sometimes the worksheet is completed "independently" (i.e. I've moved on to another kid but am keeping an eye on him) but I also don't consider the worksheets essential this year.  I have my bonus kinder kid join in for the lessons, and he is also learning things despite being a year older.

Edited by medawyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, amiesmom said:

I am pilot testing her 2nd grade curriculum right now and we love it. I did not pilot test K or 1st, so I can't give you specifics about them, but I can give a general overview. 

If you like her Facts that Stick books, you will probably like her curriculum. She incorporates a lot of hands on learning with household items and a lot of games. Workbook pages are colorful. I think in the K level it is 1 workbook page a day, 2nd grade is 2 pages. The teacher's guide is fully scripted and daily review is built in. It is a 4 day a week program with an optional 5th day enrichment that involves reading a picture book and doing a small activity related to the book or to review the week's lessons. 

I'm glad to hear her 2nd grade program still has four scheduled days.  I like the flexibility that brings for me to add in other things for my kindy kid this year.  He is (at least right now) very bright but easily overwhelmed, so the gentle but thorough KMWC has really been a good fit.  I can see us continuing and knowing that later books allow for easy supplementation without having to double up math lessons makes it even more likely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, medawyn said:

I'm glad to hear her 2nd grade program still has four scheduled days.  I like the flexibility that brings for me to add in other things for my kindy kid this year.  He is (at least right now) very bright but easily overwhelmed, so the gentle but thorough KMWC has really been a good fit.  I can see us continuing and knowing that later books allow for easy supplementation without having to double up math lessons makes it even more likely.

Yes, the 4 day a week flexibility is fantastic! Also, you mentioned place value, from what I've read first grade covers place value very thoroughly, but only up to 100. 2nd grade goes to 1000. To me that pace seems a bit slow compared to other curriculum, but it is covered throughly and reviewed often. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, amiesmom said:

Unfortunately she only has the K curriculum out right now, 1st is scheduled to be released this May. If you sign up on her website to receive emails, she will send out an email later this year looking for pilot testers for 3rd grade. It has definitely been a welcome change in our home.

My middle son is 3rd grade this year & we are working through summer to get him 4th grade ready for fall but my youngest is in K/1st this year. The younger two haven't loved Singapore but I can't tell if its just not a right fit for those early years for us or if its them being different. My older DS did K, 1st & 3rd at a private school so whe didn't do the early levels of Singapore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, Servant4Christ said:

I saw this thread and just had to go look. It looks amazing! I especially like the picture book tie-in. I wonder if the math facts that stick series will be needed alongside or if this curriculum will utilize some of the same things and stand alone? Guess we'll see when she releases upper elementary.

Either on her Facebook group or her own website, she has definitely confirmed you don't need to buy the facts that stick books separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/23/2021 at 6:40 AM, Servant4Christ said:

I saw this thread and just had to go look. It looks amazing! I especially like the picture book tie-in. I wonder if the math facts that stick series will be needed alongside or if this curriculum will utilize some of the same things and stand alone? Guess we'll see when she releases upper elementary.

I asked her that question specifically and she said no, she meant for her curriculum to stand alone and not need extra supplements. Some of the games she uses in the curriculum are identical to the FTS books, but many are new. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1