Menu

Failed an AP class-repercussions?

I have a dear friend who has a senior in public high school. She called me in an absolute panic last week. She just found out he failed his AP Economics class last semester. He has already been accepted (and paid a deposit) to a large university in the Southeast. His counselor is advising him to tell the university about the failing grade but she and her husband are very hesitant to do so. He is now taking a regular economics class so he will end up with a passing grade in economics. They know the school will see his final transcript after he graduates in May. They are gambling the school won't notice the failing grade. Is this a make or break deal? Do the colleges take a hard look at final grades after they've admitted someone? Has anyone had or known someone with this experience? Since I haven't had the experience yet of having a kid apply to college, I don't even know how a college addresses something like this but I know it has GOT to happen more than anyone would like to admit.

A Failed class can cause the college to withdraw the offer or loss of some to tons of finical aid. The school will note the failed the class and if they don't bring to the college now they may not find out in time to come up with plan B if that college will not honor the offer as it was conditional. If the school does withdraw the offer they should return the deposit at this time.

I had two friends in high school with a failed class senior year of high school. One talked to the school in January and kept their offer with a small loss of finical aid. The other didn't tell the college until June and lost their offer and the deposit due to not following the rules signed with the deposit of letting the school know within four weeks of a failed class. Please note this was in 2006 , I don't think a ton has changed however. 

• Like 1

The counselor meaning the school counselor or a counselor they hired. In nearly all cases, the school asks for a midterm report so they'll see the grade before the final anyway.

Either way, it looks better if the kid contacts the school himself now along with an explanation of his plan to bring the grade up.

There are three things that could happen. One, they could do nothing. Kids fail classes sometimes. Colleges don't like to withdraw offers. Two, they could send him a letter of concern or a letter where they make it clear they might withdraw the offer or just remind him that they can. Three, they could just withdraw the offer. It happens.

• Like 2

I think it’s better to contact the school and let them know but also to let them know that he is taking an economics class to better understand the subject and pass it. It is not an automatic withdrawal and with all that is going on this year, I hope more schools are more lenient. It is better they face it now and make alternative plans if needed than wait till May.