Menu

Winning Recipes From This Board!

Today is dh's birthday, and, as on all birthdays, I asked what the birthday person would like for supper. He chose tortilla soup, a recipe from this board. (Threelops, was it yours? I thought I had a name on it, but I guess not.) It's a quick, easy meal and a great way to use up all those broken tortilla chips left in the bottom of the bag.

Last night we had Sweetpeach's Honey Baked Lentils with rice. Oh. My. Word. Lentil dishes are often just a little blah. Even those I like are not usually well-received by my family. This was a winner for everyone. I had two helpings for supper last night and had to stop myself from having a second helping at lunch today. It's just so good! And it's cheap and easy to make.

I'm including both recipes here in case anyone missed them. What are some of your favorite recipes from this board?

Tortilla Soup

Juice from 1 lime (about 2 tbsp)

3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (I use chicken breasts)

2 tsp hot chili powder

2 tsp oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 can (14.5 ounces) jalapeno-flavored diced tomatoes (rotel)

3 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 avacado, peeled & pitted, cut in chunks

tortilla chips

-Heat broiler. Drizzle lime juice over chicken; sprinkle with 1 tsp of the chili powder. Coat broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Broil chicken 5-6 minutes per side of until done. Remove, set aside.

-Heat oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add garlic and remaining tsp of chili powder. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with their juice), broth, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and cook 10 minutes, covered.

-To serve: tear chicken into small pieces and divide among 4 bowls. Divide tomato broth among the bowls; top with cheddar cheese, avocado, and tortilla chips. (I've usually add the chicken to the soup and let it simmer until I'm ready to dish it up).

Honey Baked Lentils

To make 6 main-dish servings, you will need:

1 cup dry lentils

2 cups water

2 Tbsp. honey

2 Tbsp. soy sauce

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1/2 tsp. ginger

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 small onion or 1/4 large onion, diced

salt and pepper to taste

It will have a soupy consistency, suitable for serving in bowls or over rice or in a baked potato or squash. If you prefer a more solid, casserole-like consistency, add:

1/3 cup rice

Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. Bake, covered, at 350F until tender, about an hour and a half.

We baked some squash at the same time to make a complete meal with no additional energy use. It was a tasty combination of foods.

I don't have time to find the recipes and tell you who posted them, but my favorites are:

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Bundt Cake

I have learned how to make applesauce in a pressure cooker, as well as dishwasher detergent and laundry soap!

Baked oatmeal has become a standard at our house.

3 cups oats (we prefer steel cut from Costco)

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup apple sauce or butter

1 cup milk

2 eggs

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

We like to add slivered almonds and dried cranberries but any dried fruit can be added. Just don't overbake or it become too dry. Yum!

Speaking of great recipes, I promised my dd that I would try to make Quiver's Cinnamon Rolls, but I want to make them with honey instead of sugar and with whole white wheat flour. Does anyone have an already adapted version that I could use? Or, for that matter, the original recipe so I can try to adapt it myself? Thanks!

The tortilla soup recipe is mine. It's one of my dh's favorites, too, and I think most of my boys like it. I'm going to have to get it on the menu soon :).

Happy Birthday to your dh!

Wait, I'm confused. Were you Threelops before? If not, I'm sorry I got the wrong poster.

I served the leftover soup to dh's parents and a guy from our fellowship who were over at lunch time today and they all liked it too. MIL said she would add corn and black beans to it. I would do that too, but then dh wouldn't like it so much.