Menu

Which standardized test-10th gr?

I need advice. My oldest is in 10th. I missed the PSAT date in October at the local private school. None of our local schools (public or private) have the PSAT 10 scheduled for spring. So, what should I do? In the past we’ve done the Stanford 10 online through Seton. He did it every other year thru 7th, 8th he was in public school, 9th we didn’t do a test. Should I do Stanford 10 again? Pros: easy to administer, he is familiar with it. Possible cons: it isn’t timed or a paper copy like the ACT or SAT will be, so he doesn’t have a lot of practice with timed tests. Should I try the IOWA this year? I have 6th and 4th dss too; maybe I’ll just do IOWA for them all and see how they do with the written thing. 

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

(I have a B.S., so can administer either)

On 1/10/2021 at 8:21 PM, Lucy the Valiant said:

The CLT 10 has been free, easy, and online the last few years. It's the PSAT-level-correlation for the Classical Learning Test. (Our goal in testing was for the students to gain experience, and to meet state requirements, so - it was perfect for both of those!)

Talk to me more about this please. Does your state accept it for notification requirements?  (It sounds like yes.) If so, how did you find out it would be accepted?  Is it available to be taken at home, or do we need to find a testing center? 

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Talk to me more about this please. Does your state accept it for notification requirements?  (It sounds like yes.) If so, how did you find out it would be accepted?  Is it available to be taken at home, or do we need to find a testing center? 

My state has 3 annual evaluation options, one of which involves a "standardized test" - since the CLT is a college entrance exam accepted by > 150 colleges and universities in place of SAT or ACT, I personally have deemed it "acceptable" as a "standardized exam." (I am not required to report WHICH exam, so the choice is mine; I could also use CAT, IOWA, Stanford, etc.). *IF* I choose the testing option, the kids need to score in the 40th percentile, but I do not have to report that to any outside agency (our other options are a portfolio evaluation - I serve as one of the state evaluators - *or* a mutually-agreed-upon Option 3).

The CLT (college entrance test) is administered in a school setting (register just like for SAT), but the CLT 10 (PSAT 10 equivalent) and CLT 8 (PSAT 8/9 equivalent) can be taken at home on the student's individual computer. It's a practice exam for the CLT, and timed, and you get results in 1-2 days. My 9th and 10th graders have taken it to fulfill the annual assessment for several years now; my younger kids do IOWA, and my olders just do CLT or SAT. This year my junior actually took the PSAT in person back in October, so we will use that this year for that kid. The scoring correlation has held pretty much true for my kids, too. 

I'm not sure if the CLT 10 is always free, or if it has been free for the last few years as a way to garner interest, but - it has served our needs quite well.

CLT 10

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

My state has 3 annual evaluation options, one of which involves a "standardized test" - since the CLT is a college entrance exam accepted by > 150 colleges and universities in place of SAT or ACT, I personally have deemed it "acceptable" as a "standardized exam." (I am not required to report WHICH exam, so the choice is mine; I could also use CAT, IOWA, Stanford, etc.). *IF* I choose the testing option, the kids need to score in the 40th percentile, but I do not have to report that to any outside agency (our other options are a portfolio evaluation - I serve as one of the state evaluators - *or* a mutually-agreed-upon Option 3).

The CLT (college entrance test) is administered in a school setting (register just like for SAT), but the CLT 10 (PSAT 10 equivalent) and CLT 8 (PSAT 8/9 equivalent) can be taken at home on the student's individual computer. It's a practice exam for the CLT, and timed, and you get results in 1-2 days. My 9th and 10th graders have taken it to fulfill the annual assessment for several years now; my younger kids do IOWA, and my olders just do CLT or SAT. This year my junior actually took the PSAT in person back in October, so we will use that this year for that kid. The scoring correlation has held pretty much true for my kids, too. 

I'm not sure if the CLT 10 is always free, or if it has been free for the last few years as a way to garner interest, but - it has served our needs quite well.

CLT 10

In Ohio, we have to submit the composite score. Are you not required to do that in your state?  We also have the portfolio review option.  We have done IOWA in the past and I submitted the composite score.  Thank you in advance!

On 1/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, mmasc said:

I need advice. My oldest is in 10th. I missed the PSAT date in October at the local private school. None of our local schools (public or private) have the PSAT 10 scheduled for spring. So, what should I do? In the past we’ve done the Stanford 10 online through Seton. He did it every other year thru 7th, 8th he was in public school, 9th we didn’t do a test. Should I do Stanford 10 again? Pros: easy to administer, he is familiar with it. Possible cons: it isn’t timed or a paper copy like the ACT or SAT will be, so he doesn’t have a lot of practice with timed tests. Should I try the IOWA this year? I have 6th and 4th dss too; maybe I’ll just do IOWA for them all and see how they do with the written thing. 

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

(I have a B.S., so can administer either)

Do you need a standardized test for some reason? Or are you just considering this practice for the junior year PSAT?

If it's the latter, I am not sure that taking a different standardized test at home will be terribly useful. I'd be prepping for the PSAT (or SAT) itself, with timed practice tests specific to that exam.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, cintinative said:

In Ohio, we have to submit the composite score. Are you not required to do that in your state?  We also have the portfolio review option.  We have done IOWA in the past and I submitted the composite score.  Thank you in advance!

No, I am not required to submit the composite. 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:07 PM, cintinative said:

Do you pay for the extra report (the student analytics)?

I haven't, because we had no need for the information.

10 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

Do you need a standardized test for some reason? Or are you just considering this practice for the junior year PSAT?

If it's the latter, I am not sure that taking a different standardized test at home will be terribly useful. I'd be prepping for the PSAT (or SAT) itself, with timed practice tests specific to that exam.

I agree that if you're wanting practice for the PSAT or SAT, taking the CLT will not likely benefit the student too much. The PSAT and SAT *are quite similar since the 2016 SAT revisions, though, so practicing the SAT *will help a student prepare for the PSAT. Practice SAT's are available free online (from College Board website as well as through Khan Academy). 

I tutor locally for the SAT, and one observation from my (limited) personal experience is that students lose approximately 100 points on the SAT just by taking it on the computer. My hunch is that there are several reasons WHY this is true, but - it's been fairly universal, in my years of experience. Enough that I go out of my way to find a test center that will administer the paper version for my own kids. (That said, they take the CLT 10 online because we don't really care about the scores there.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

Yes, it’s required for our state. 

But that’s a good tip about prepping for the PSAT. Thanks!