Menu

Air duct cleaning

klmama

I keep seeing ads from air duct cleaning services claiming that it helps improve air quality, reduces allergens, etc.  If you've had it done, do you agree?  What about level of dust in the home?  I've seen some that claim it reduces dust, but it seems to me that the dust is only in the cold air return vents and should be trapped by the furnace filters.  Am I missing something?  

Following.  Part of our ducts came apart under the house last winter.  The guy who fixed it said it had mold in it. He tried to take pictures, but the lighting was bad, so I couldn’t see. (He was an older guy near retirement.  I don’t know if he knew how to use the camera on his phone well.). He said ours are fiberglass, so they can’t be cleaned.  Unfortunately, we can’t afford to replace them yet.  I would love to know if there’s something we can do for them in the meantime.

Fwiw, cleaning ducts stirs up stuff for a day or two after cleaning. We had the ducts cleaned when we bought this house. I saw what they pulled from the ducts. It was a lot of volume and included construction dust and debris that was several years old. I am glad I had it done, but it was a baseline cleanup thing I had done that I won’t repeat. We didn’t move in for a couple of days afterwards and ran filters so everything could settle and be safe for the asthmatics in the house.

Our house is still dusty (way dustier than our other houses have been). We still run HEPA stand alone filters and have good HEPA filters in our HVAC. So, this isn’t an either/or. It’s just an additional thing in our breathe clean air campaign. We do run internal air monitors and those all have lovely numbers provided we keep the CO2 under control. Our house is so airtight we have to pop open windows when we can to get fresh air moving.

• Like 1

We had our air ducts cleaned a few weeks ago and the mold in our crawl space today along with a dehumidifier installed.  Our home is almost 30 years old and in both cases trouble was beginning (evidence indicated) and we nipped it in the bud.  My dh and I have decided that this is our "forever" home so we think of it as an investment into our retirement and into our health.