Menu

Barre workouts

DawnM

I’m not sure if you want an actual barre as well or just dvds, but I bought a Fluidity barre years ago and use their dvds. In the beginning the workouts were definitely hard, even the beginner’s. Yowza! For that reason, I liked being able to do them in my own home so that I could stop, which was often. The workouts are solid. The barre itself folds up vertically and is not too difficult to scoot around when folded. It is a bit heavy but also solid which is ideal because you do put your weight on it at times. Don’t want to topple over.

I’ve seen some other similar barre/Pilates equipment that might be more versatile but I don't know much about them. There are also other dvds and probably online videos but I don't use them. I’m curious to hear about them, though.

• Like 1

I have in the past. Not as much recently. I have tried many different brands (Physique57, Barre3, BarreAmped/Suzanne Bowen, Pure Barre, Fluidity, Bar Method). 

Most have similar elements. I liked the Bar Method the best. I just clicked with the instructor style most. I also did a fair bit of Pure Barre and Suzanne Bowen. 

I used to have a big barre for my workouts. Space was an issue, so now I just use a step stool that's the right height. 

For a beginner, these would be my recs:

Bar method "Change Your Body" dvd (may be harder to find? It's OOP. ETA - nope! Cheap on eBay!)

This set from Suzanne Bowen - https://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Belly-Barre-Suzanne-Bowen/dp/1635651824

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

after a couple injuries, and illnesses - I'm trying to get back.  I was just starting a barre program when I was injured.  (and I still have my barre.)

there's one channel I've been doing that is workable for those coming back.

ballet based movement on youtube.  it's aimed at olders who are new to ballet.  It's a daughter teaching her mom.  they are barre exercises, with detailed instruction, then through a routine.  they have a number of videos available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Is this a good cardio workout or is it more strength, toning, and flexibility?

Mostly the latter. However, there are brands that are more cardio focused (CardioBarre, for example, or other barre bootcamp hybrids). Also, there are times where my HR is elevated but not so much like a purely cardio workout. 

• Like 2