Menu

repurposing broken china

Bootsie

Anyone have experience with repurposing broken china?  I have discovered that several pieces of my great aunt's china were broken during a move.  I am seeing lots of pretty pieces of jewelry made from broken china and broken china pieces being used for mosaics to cover bird houses, pots, bird baths, etc.  It would be nice to do something like that for my mother with the pieces, but I am not too artistic.  I haven't ever worked with cut glass, etc. and am wondering how hard (and dangerous) any of it is. 

• Like 1

We embedded pieces of broken china, mosaic-style, in cement stepping stones for grandparent gifts when our kids were little. The kids' footprints were also included. The stepping stone forms can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.

ETA: I also made a picture frame with grout and china pieces.

Edited by LAS in LA

30 minutes ago, LAS in LA said:

We embedded pieces of broken china, mosaic-style, in cement stepping stones for grandparent gifts when our kids were little. The kids' footprints were also included. The stepping stone forms can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.

ETA: I also made a picture frame with grout and china pieces.

Did you just take the pieces and put them in the stepping stones and grout them on the picture frames?  Or did you do any buffing/sanding to smooth the edges of the pieces?

Maybe try to find out if she enjoys the look before you turn it into a project for her. When I see broken china pieces used in projects, they make me feel sad. it is an odd reaction to furniture, but seeing broken pieces turned into something else, is unpleasant to me. It is like they were demoted. 

On 12/11/2020 at 3:35 PM, Bootsie said:

Did you just take the pieces and put them in the stepping stones and grout them on the picture frames?  Or did you do any buffing/sanding to smooth the edges of the pieces?

It was very low-ability art!!😁  We just stuck the china pieces into the wet cement, deep enough for the edges to be covered (more or less). The picture frame pieces were grouted onto a foam frame cutout (wouldn't recommend this as it warped a bit; a wooden frame would be better).

2 hours ago, LAS in LA said:

It was very low-ability art!!😁  We just stuck the china pieces into the wet cement, deep enough for the edges to be covered (more or less). The picture frame pieces were grouted onto a foam frame cutout (wouldn't recommend this as it warped a bit; a wooden frame would be better).

Thanks.  I have a sister who is very artsy, so maybe we can schedule a post-COVID art day to make something to share with family members.