Menu

Breville Smart Oven or Ninja Air Fryer

Familia

Since our toaster oven just died this morning for good, I did research today and decided on the Breville Smart Oven from WTM research for replacement toaster ovens.  

Well, when I (out of politeness=) texted DH before pulling the trigger, he informed me of a Ninja purchase he made as a family Christmas present that he would go ahead and give me when he got home.  He is allowing me to make the final decision (return for Breville or keep the Ninja).

Thoughts?  I really appreciate this!

Here are the links to what I want vs what he purchased.  (He likes the ‘flip away’ feature of Ninja...that is actually unappealing to me)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793FPLY4/ref=tsm_1_tp_tc

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SCGY2H6/ref=tsm_1_tp_tc

We'll I'm on my 2nd Breville, having used it for upteen years. (The original migrated to the basement and the new shiny red is in my kitchen.) I think I would disregard every Vine review for the Ninja and only look at the real buyer reviews. Those are saying the space is the issue, and that was my thought when I looked at it. If you can only have *one* I guess that's your call. Do you tend to do a lot of flat things? That Ninja looks like a pizza oven. I would put that in the basement if you eat a lot of pizza and snacky stuff down there. But for everyday, if you need the vertical space, you'll be glad you went Breville. It's a beast, a really great machine.

• Like 1

The Ninja is mostly touted for its being an air fryer and its space saving benefit.  Space is of little issue, and I can see me wanting everyone to keep it down...this would then become a constant battle=). For one thing, where do all those crumbs go when tilted up?  And, it opens in back for easy cleaning?  That seems gimmicky to me.

That Breville model is convection but not air fryer.  I have convection on my oven - use it all the time.  A smaller version of that gives me what I want...an extra oven, along with being the toaster/food-heater-upper that fam needs.  Hmmm....

• Like 1

We like our Ninja air fryer. It stays on our limited counter space all the time - it's not that big, which is very good. The amount of food you can cook is limited, though. We're a family of 6 (3 teen boys), so it's not really big enough to use for even part of a meal for all 6 of us. It's wonderful for smaller quantities or smaller items (chicken wings).

It's also quite loud when it's in use (the fan). I imagine that a toaster oven doesn't have a fan. I'm not sure as I've never had one.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's also quite loud when it's in use (the fan). I imagine that a toaster oven doesn't have a fan. I'm not sure as I've never had one.

The convection feature on the Breville uses a fan. My old one was kind of noisy, but it had had a hard life. My new one is reasonable. I'm super picky on noises like that, and it's quiet enough that I use it.

• Like 2

I haven't used an air fryer but I have a Breville Smart Oven that I bought in June of 2015 and we adore.  I wasn't sure we'd use a toaster oven, but we use it every day, often multiple times a day.  Certain foods reheat nicer in the smart oven than the microwave (things like fries or breaded things like chicken strips that tend to get soggy in the microwave).  It can hold a 9x13 pan or a muffin tin (without handles) and it's deep enough to roast a whole chicken in.  My wall oven is very large, so we often use the toaster oven to save energy and avoid heating the kitchen, especially during the summer.  I seriously can't say enough good about it.  I would buy another one hands down.  

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Breville Smart Oven Air, and it has become the workhorse in my kitchen. I even prefer using it over my regular oven because it doesn't make my kitchen hot...important when you live in SoCal. It has amazing capacity even fits a 14 pound turkey! For me, that was the most important aspect. I already had a NuWave XL airfryer (bucket style) similar to the Phillips one that started the whole Air Fryer craze. I really love having the Breville which was only purchased when my toaster oven died. I did consider the less expensive Cuisinart one, but my husband encouraged me to "treat" myself since he has some bonus money that he just got.

• Like 1

Breville. They are fantastic.

Our older model is convection, but not billed as an "air fryer." I belive the difference is that current "air fryer" models allow the fan to blow harder than they do in "convection" mode.

Our model actually "air frys"pretty well despite lacking the designation.

Our Breville gets heavy daily use and I'd replace it in a heartbeat if it ever went south.

Bill

• Like 1

We just got the bigger Ninja air fryer oven, and we're a little obsessed with it. I mostly got it for our travel trailer, since we only have a convection/microwave in there and it doesn't work great or hold much. But it turns out we're using it all the time in the house; I've only turned on my real oven once since we got it. 

Yes, I have always considered the air fryer like my regular oven (feature) yet in miniature...but I have never gotten a wire basket to do it like the A F.  Anyway, I am fine without that ‘feature’ fwiw.  Looking at it, the most winning feature of the Breville over the Ninja (that is hidden somewhere in my house, previously awaiting Christmas=), is that the Breville holds a taller piece of meat (whole chicken/roast) and taller casserole pans. 

40 minutes ago, Familia said:

Yes, I have always considered the air fryer like my regular oven (feature) yet in miniature...but I have never gotten a wire basket to do it like the A F.  Anyway, I am fine without that ‘feature’ fwiw.  Looking at it, the most winning feature of the Breville over the Ninja (that is hidden somewhere in my house, previously awaiting Christmas=), is that the Breville holds a taller piece of meat (whole chicken/roast) and taller casserole pans. 

The bigger Ninja does that, too....we can fit full size pizzas in it, two at a time, and it says it will cook a 12 pound turkey. It takes up a lot of counter space, though.

1 minute ago, kokotg said:

The bigger Ninja does that, too....we can fit full size pizzas in it, two at a time, and it says it will cook a 12 pound turkey. It takes up a lot of counter space, though.

He purchased the shorter one.  I really would have been quite happy with it, being quite an upgrade from our no-frills toaster oven...which I thought was a huge upgrade in itself from a regular toaster=)...but...I have seen the phrase “Breville oven” tossed around so much around here, I thought I would actually look into what people were referring to.  All this done this morning after the toaster oven went out, but BEFORE I learned he had already purchased the Ninja as a surprise.  He is fine with returning.

And, @Spy Carthanks for chiming in, your comments on other threads re:Breville ovens definitely made an impression.

@Indigo Blue, I didn’t realize there was a microwave one, too.  We do not have a microwave, though, and don’t miss it.  Now, though, I do remember, we had a microwave/convection combo for my mom’s suite in our last home.  And, yes, I think an air fryer is simply convection with a special basket.  Maybe I am missing something, but we will go with the Breville oven pro w/out the air-fryer designation.  

And, I am thrilled it comes in black!

3 hours ago, Familia said:

He purchased the shorter one.  I really would have been quite happy with it, being quite an upgrade from our no-frills toaster oven...which I thought was a huge upgrade in itself from a regular toaster=)...but...I have seen the phrase “Breville oven” tossed around so much around here, I thought I would actually look into what people were referring to.  All this done this morning after the toaster oven went out, but BEFORE I learned he had already purchased the Ninja as a surprise.  He is fine with returning.

And, @Spy Carthanks for chiming in, your comments on other threads re:Breville ovens definitely made an impression.

@Indigo Blue, I didn’t realize there was a microwave one, too.  We do not have a microwave, though, and don’t miss it.  Now, though, I do remember, we had a microwave/convection combo for my mom’s suite in our last home.  And, yes, I think an air fryer is simply convection with a special basket.  Maybe I am missing something, but we will go with the Breville oven pro w/out the air-fryer designation.  

And, I am thrilled it comes in black!

As CalBear (GO BEARS!) suggested, one of the great things being in Southern California is that I can use the Breville and keep the kitchen much (much) cooler that if I used my gas oven. Plus the Smart oven does a better job. I can easily get a large chicken in mine and it roasts up beautifully. They are very versatile. Over the decades we've have a number of good quality toaster ovens, from DeLonghi to Cuisinart.  None of them were "bad," in fact I liked them all, but the Breville easily stands at the top of the heap.

That Nijna looks kind of cool. If all I were doing is pizzas or roasted veggies, or broiling things, maybe. But the versatility of the Smart Oven is a huge plus for me. I think they have a pretty large fan club here on TWTM forum. Never yet heard someone say they don't love theirs.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Bill

• Thanks 1

I stopped into Kohl's while on a grocery pickup today.  First, WOW, it is the first time, I believe, that I have been into a major retail store except grocery stores during Covid...there was barely any inventory.  I do not know if our local store is dying or everyone is online shopping or...But, I digress.

They had both items on showcase.  I first saw the Breville.  Decent size - not overwhelmingly bigger than our current non-convection t.o.  But when I saw that slim opening in real life of the Ninja foodi sp101...it is just way too slim for my taste...and the dishes I envision using in it.

• Like 1