Menu

How are we feeling?

Carrie12345

So, we’re pretty well set over here now that I got both a turkey and a ham just in case. But I’ve still been looking for things that could use a little extra padding.

Earlier today, I put a 12-pack case of Parmalat in my Amazon cart to think on overnight. It was priced around $36, which isn’t drastically higher than the stores’ usual price (and my stores are out.) I went fiddling around the website again, and it’s now FIFTY BUCKS.  In just a few hours.  So... yeah, I’m fine with what we’ve got.

My stores are also out of all paper towels that are any thicker (if even as thick) as toilet paper, and so is Amazon. I am considering getting a case of commercial paper towels and a little caddy for them. They’re not outrageously priced... yet.  They might be by tomorrow, when I’m ready to decide whether or not to hit the button.

I’m surprised by how much I miss Lysol spray cleaners. They were never my go-to, but now that I’m all out...

Our little rural family dollar is the last place around with toilet paper, and they didn’t have a lot. We should be fine for that. I’m waiting til Monday then going to Kroger for cheese that’s on sale and then I feel like I will be all stocked up again. I am planning to buy a lot of cheese haha. But really though, some days I feel silly stocking so much when I have 2 girls working at the grocery store.

For Lysol, I buy the little brown bottle of concentrate and mix my own. I get it at family dollar, would that work for you? I don’t know if they still have any as I have enough to last at least a year.

Years ago to save money, we quit using paper towels and I bought a bunch of cheap dish towels to use instead. They are all stained up but I don’t care, they live in a basket on the counter. For draining greasy things I lay a couple of cheap paper napkins over newspaper and works like a charm. I got that idea here on the boards some where.

as for feeling? I’m trying not to be anxious, and told my dh that after the election I would try to be less stressed, but I’m not sure it’s working haha. Maybe after Christmas ...

22 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

So, we’re pretty well set over here now that I got both a turkey and a ham just in case. But I’ve still been looking for things that could use a little extra padding.

Earlier today, I put a 12-pack case of Parmalat in my Amazon cart to think on overnight. It was priced around $36, which isn’t drastically higher than the stores’ usual price (and my stores are out.) I went fiddling around the website again, and it’s now FIFTY BUCKS.  In just a few hours.  So... yeah, I’m fine with what we’ve got.

My stores are also out of all paper towels that are any thicker (if even as thick) as toilet paper, and so is Amazon. I am considering getting a case of commercial paper towels and a little caddy for them. They’re not outrageously priced... yet.  They might be by tomorrow, when I’m ready to decide whether or not to hit the button.

I’m surprised by how much I miss Lysol spray cleaners. They were never my go-to, but now that I’m all out...

What’s parmalat?

• 1 month later...

Ok..... how are we feeling now?

I had planned to do a big restock in January since we ate down some of our supplies in December to have extra Christmas money, but I guess I waited too long. We were planning to go the city to do a big Sam's shop and hit aldi's but now that we have covid, I ended up doing an order from Kroger's and we'll see how that goes. Not everything I wanted, but we definitely have enough supplies to get us through anything that comes along for the next few months.

I’m still flip-flopping back and forth on whether to squirrel away some more stuff or just top off the usual.  I don’t really want to pull controversial stuff over to here, but dh has a friend who has upped his vague “hey, be prepared” little warnings, and he’s the type to know people who know people if that makes any sense.

I do think we’re mostly set though.  I’ll probably add a few easy/comfort items to my order and bemoan my inability to plan this year’s gardening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My pantry is wound back a fair bit.  If I was in the US i think I’d be restocking more now though.  Our garden is a bit done.  Need to move on to a new garden bed.  There’s plenty of rice.

I was thinking I heard something about a possible rice shortage back during the summer. Glad to hear that didn't materialize

We're mostly set. The freezers are full, and the pantry is fairly full. I probably won't buy any meat for a few months, to work through some of what we've got in the freezers. 

Right now, extra money has been going toward upgrading kitchen gear. After nearly a year of cooking every meal at home, I have a much better idea of what I am actually using vs. "This could be useful someday!".  (Note to self: It's "someday" and we still haven't used it). 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2

Got seeds ordered for this years garden, and a setup to start seeds as last year's attempt was a bust. Just need potting soil and to get started!

Feeling relieved today's transition went smoothly as we have been watching Jericho on netflix and scaring ourselves, haha

Our freezers are full, pantry looks pretty good, would like more of a few things, but could definitely do well on what we have. I really need to figure out a way to organize meals out of all of our stuff. If we had to live solely on what we have, like we did in December, I think as we got down to the end, the meals and food combinations would get weirder. Like the night we had homemade cheese pizza and roasted sweet potatoes for dinner the last night before dh got paid the first week of January! Of course that was mostly because I didn't want the sweet potatoes to go bad and didn't want to open up something preserved since we had something perishable. But you get my meaning.

I don't have any real reason to keep up with the prepping except for other's vague statements, but it can't hurt I guess.

58 minutes ago, saraha said:

I don't have any real reason to keep up with the prepping except for other's vague statements, but it can't hurt I guess.

Prepping isn't just to get you through hair raising political strife.  Weather issues and job loss are two big reasons I started becoming more prepared. It also helps save money in the long run. 

• Like 2

Yeah, mine all started to keep me from having to drive when it snows. I got to see how handy that came in when we got H1N1 one by one and I could really do anything for ages.  I spent some time in the hospital not long after that, and later spent time there with ds, so our stockpile came in handy while dh was juggling work and kids and visits.  Then we had Sandy and saw that it took quite a while for our grocery stores to fully restock. Then we had a killer on the loose in the woods and saw how that could be an actual reason to be on lockdown.  It also helped the two times I found myself with a boot on my foot because I’m such a klutz. And we once had 4 kids in Little League at the same time, where teams play on fields that can be as much as an hour apart and I lived in survival mode.

It’s helped by letting me reign in the budget when things were tight more than a couple of times, and it does make me feel better in case dh were to lose his job.

I may be ready for the zombies, but I don’t think it’s likely that they will come.

• Like 1