Menu

About This Club

<p>Food storage, emergency preparedness, zombie slaying skills... whatever.</p>
  1. What's new in this club
  2. The only thing I would change is to only put 1 tomato plant in a bin, not 2. When there are two, they compete for nutrients and it's a little harder to manage them. The tomato plants above lasted about 10 months, and then they started putting out fewer and fewer fruits. That's a pretty good run! I am about to reset all the gardens with new seeds. I took a break from fiddling with it all for awhile, but I am ready to give it a try again.
  3. @MissLemon How are these projects doing? Anything you would change?
  4. Yeah, ultimately our plan in case of an eotwawki would be to get him and bring him back to our farm, but it’s a long way to walk! Also, as a man, he would not be our first child to retrieve, our dd in college would be. I would love to get him a three wheeled bike, but dh says that would make him a target and would have no good place to have it in new apartment
  5. I’m just starting to think through the same stuff for my stb19yo. It’s kinda easier for her because she’s an EMT and (if all goes well) will be a few doors down from the station. So I’m not exactly going to load her up with extra serious first aid stuff. If she can’t walk, a coworker will come get her. If she can walk, she’s got the keys to much more than I have! Lol. But everyday first aid, of course. Basic tool kit. Extra blankets. Manual can opener and back up manual can opener. I’m obsessive about stocking plenty of toothbrushes and toothpaste so I don’t find myself in a pinch. Water. Cell phone battery back up. List of important phone numbers on the off chance a phone loses that info. Or the phone itself gets lost. A meeting plan. Not that I *actually* think we’ll need it, but dd’s current plan is to hike 2 miles through the woods from her friend’s house to ours if there were some reason she couldn’t safely drive the 3 miles of main road. No big deal. The new place she’s looking at is 40 minutes away, so that won’t work! Now you’ve got me thinking...
  6. Our aspie ds21 is launching, yay! He will be moving to an apartment almost an hour away, but only half an hour from my dh's job. His building is on a main thoroughfare in town. He doesn't drive. This is probably too much information but just putting everything out there. I want to start thinking how to help him be as prepped as he can be in an all electric apartment building. He will be taking his own stash of flashlights and lantern, and I know about filling his cabinets with shelf stable food that doesn't need to be cooked. What else can you think of? Thanks!
  7. The Texas freeze killed off our citrus trees. I'm pretty sure the orange tree is totally dead. The grapefruit trees may have living trunks, but we have a LOT of pruning ahead of us to figure out where they stand. Ugh.
  8. They are doing well! The tomatoes have again started putting out flowers. The plants are also growing again! There is a lot of new foliage and they are taller. These are supposed to be determinate plants, but apparently the plants didn't get that memo! We're still crunching away on lettuce. When the lettuce finished in one garden, I restarted it with herbs. I have 2 new micro-dwarf varieties of tomatoes in another garden: blueberry and "spoon" tomatoes. The spoon tomato plant seems to be struggling. I thought it had died during the Texas Freeze because it got too cold in the back of the house, but then it started putting out leaves again, so I let it ride. Now it's again struggling. I may need to just pull that plant and try again. I need to redo the power strips for all these gardens. I have some tubs and buckets that are idle because I have no where to plug them in. Once I get that sorted out, I will try growing cucumbers and mini peppers, (requests from kiddo).
  9. When I let a broody hen raise chicks for me, my life is easier. The problem I have is I can't touch those chicks she raises to check them over for health reasons. Any suggestions to help them be more tame when a hen is raising them?
  10. We were fortunate enough to have a hen go broody and watched her raise 5 healthy chicks. It was a great experience much easier than buying chicks. Unfortunately four of the five were roosters. In the garden, we have been transplanting the blackberry canes that pop up everywhere. We planted a persimmon tree 2 years ago and harvested ONE fruit last year so we are giving it lots of attention this year. The first tray of pepper seeds have been started. All the other veggies seeds will be this week. I bought two horseradish roots as a fun project. They are in a bin in the portable greenhouse. I think I'm seeing a small bit of growth on them. I downsized the garden 2 years ago, now I want more beds again so that will be the main project (building and filling). I'll continue to add bat and butterfly attracting flowers. The projects never seem to end, but are a fun respite from schooling.
  11. HUGE shift in my township! The next meeting will handle a proposed change to ban roosters, but bring the land requirements for hens down from 2 acres to 1. Most of our twp is private communities that can still (and do) have their own rules against it, but we’ve been looking at the most laid back community in the area, which is most likely to bend. So there’s still a chance that I might someday be able to have chickens even though the land I *really wanted is seeming out of reach. Fingers crossed!
  12. She definitely has a lot more kids than when I first started reading! I found her blog when kiddo was a baby and we are holy-cats-how-in-the-world-will-we-do-this kind of broke. I do wish she'd post more of her sewing projects. I'm not finding anything inspiring on Pinterest these days.
  13. I found this forum that so far seems to be filled with quite normal, rational people https://theprepared.com/forum/ They come right out and say this about what is allowed and not: Let’s look at some examples: “The US federal government didn’t handle COVID as well as other developed countries.” That’s fine because it’s factually correct and isn’t worded in a way to attack someone or their supporters. And it ties to preparedness because knowing what our government can or can’t do in an emergency is relevant. “tRrump made COVID worse.” That’s not okay. It’s a worthy debate to have in the public arena — in the way holding all of our leaders is appropriate — but it’s too subjective, likely to cause bickering, and will just distract from the prepping conversation. And leave the silly names like “Nobama” and “tRump” at the door. “I think California made a lot of bad decisions over the last decades when it comes to mitigating wildfires.” That’s fine. Even though it’s an opinion, it would ideally have some supporting evidence for the claim, and it’s worded in a way that can allow a civil debate. “Those Commiefornian libtards need to go rake some more forests if they want to have fewer wildfires.” Not okay, and would likely result in a ban. Avoiding fake news, conspiracies, and other disinformation There’s plenty of actual problems in the world — we don’t need to make it worse by adding unfounded or fake problems on top. And we certainly don’t want to aid our enemies who try to pour fuel on these fires to create even more problems within our society. We’re just as distrustful of institutions like the media and government as you are. But that doesn’t mean the tin-foil-hat person yelling in a Youtube video is correct. Sandy Hook was real. 9/11 was not an inside job. Fluoride in water is not used for mind control. FEMA is not tapping your computer to find out what supplies you have. And the Illuminati have your best interests in mind — they promise! The more outlandish a claim, the more we’ll judge if there is any dependable evidence for it. For example: “The Chinese engineered COVID-19 in a lab with strains of HIV so they could attack the West.” Maybe that’s true. We don’t know and neither do you. But we do know there is a lot of evidence against that being true, and vice versa, no real evidence supporting it is true. So until there is credible evidence — at which point we would stand alongside you and say “we should talk about this” — that’s not okay to say here. Remember folks: “Science” is not an opinion or point of view that somehow conflicts with your world-view. Science is just the search for verifiable truth. We won’t always get it right — but we will always try
  14. We have raised both meat chickens and laying hens, but we always ordered our chicks. I would like to hatch out either really. Just don't want to have to order them anymore. We butcher our own meat chickens, but our layers live out their natural life. We had a house cow for years, we also raise hogs every other year, but we buy piglets. We tried to breed our own sow once, but it was awful finding anyone to "do the job" for just one sow, so we went back to buying piglets.
  15. Do you mean meat chooks or regular laying chooks? We have silkies and austrolorps. Both laying chooks. We also have geese, and a house cow. We use to have pigs but our zoning changed and we can no longer have pigs
  16. Have you guys ever raised your own chicks? It seems easy enough, I just can't seem to get the nerve.
  17. I read her blog years ago, but had kind of forgotten about it. It has changed!
  18. I like reading The Prudent Homemaker. She is LDS, but doesn't talk much about her religion other than to say self-sufficiency is very much encouraged in her church. It's not specifically a prepper blog; it leans more toward saving money and living a simple life, but those concepts overlap considerably with prepping. She's also a really calm-sounding person, which I appreciate.
  19. Survival Mom (book and blog) is probably my favorite. It’s difficult to find ones that aren’t WAY out there. LDS websites are also cool. Food Storage Made Easy (blog, printable binder) is a good one that I believe is LDS related. (Not a promotion of LDS from me, but they know some things!)
  20. Yeah, mine all started to keep me from having to drive when it snows. I got to see how handy that came in when we got H1N1 one by one and I could really do anything for ages. I spent some time in the hospital not long after that, and later spent time there with ds, so our stockpile came in handy while dh was juggling work and kids and visits. Then we had Sandy and saw that it took quite a while for our grocery stores to fully restock. Then we had a killer on the loose in the woods and saw how that could be an actual reason to be on lockdown. It also helped the two times I found myself with a boot on my foot because I’m such a klutz. And we once had 4 kids in Little League at the same time, where teams play on fields that can be as much as an hour apart and I lived in survival mode. It’s helped by letting me reign in the budget when things were tight more than a couple of times, and it does make me feel better in case dh were to lose his job. I may be ready for the zombies, but I don’t think it’s likely that they will come.
  21. For me food growing and preservation and living as self sufficient as possible is a life choice . Not because I expect the world to end or anything
  22. Prepping isn't just to get you through hair raising political strife. Weather issues and job loss are two big reasons I started becoming more prepared. It also helps save money in the long run.