Menu

Is it feasible to self-study for AP Statistics in one semester?

I am a home school student posting this with my mom's account.

After finishing algebra II this fall I will be taking statistics (not AP). Would it be a bad idea for me to self-study for the AP exam in May? I have self-studied for multiple AP exams in the past (and done well on all of them), but never for an AP math exam. While I am more into the social sciences than math, I have heard that statistics is very different from most math classes, and I personally find statistics to make much more sense than any math I have studied since pre-algebra.

In summary: senior in HS, finishing alg. II, taking stats in the spring, wants to self-study for AP Stats exam, only has one semester to do so.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

https://modernstates.org/course/

If you scroll down there are both macro and micro courses. I think it would be possible to study for one or the other in a semester. I think lots of students do. AP test sites are trickier to find this year, though, so make sure you've got a test site lined up.

@MamaSprout Are you thinking of the Economics exams? You are correct that there are two different exams, one for micro- and one for macro-. But the student above is asking about AP Statistics. 

I have a student taking an AP Stats class this year, in addition to Pre-Calc. She finds the stats very easy. She says it could easily be taught in one 90-minute class per week (rather than two). Based on that, and on my two older DDs who both easily earned the credit while in high school, I would say that it would be possible to self-study it. Now, whether you have time is something only you know. What is your workload like generally? Can you do a deep dive over the holiday break to get a head start, so that you can finish by late-April and have a week or two strictly for test prep? Also, do you have access to a school where you can add a late registration for another AP exam? Many people are finding it extra difficult this year. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, fourisenough said:

@MamaSprout Are you thinking of the Economics exams? You are correct that there are two different exams, one for micro- and one for macro-. But the student above is asking about AP Statistics. 

I have a student taking an AP Stats class this year, in addition to Pre-Calc. She finds the stats very easy. She says it could easily be taught in one 90-minute class per week (rather than two). Based on that, and on my two older DDs who both easily earned the credit while in high school, I would say that it would be possible to self-study it. Now, whether you have time is something only you know. What is your workload like generally? Can you do a deep dive over the holiday break to get a head start, so that you can finish by late-April and have a week or two strictly for test prep? Also, do you have access to a school where you can add a late registration for another AP exam? Many people are finding it extra difficult this year. 

Good luck!

Drat... Yes, that’s what I get for posting before I’m awake.

• Like 1

This is the OP's mom. Thanks for the input! Yes, she has an AP site set up and the gal, who has worked with my dd in the past, asked if there were any more tests for which my dd wanted to sign up. Yes, she has the time in her schedule as we've gone to a lot of semester classes and yes, she can use the holiday break to get started.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I am a home school student posting this with my mom's account.

After finishing algebra II this fall I will be taking statistics (not AP). Would it be a bad idea for me to self-study for the AP exam in May? I have self-studied for multiple AP exams in the past (and done well on all of them), but never for an AP math exam. While I am more into the social sciences than math, I have heard that statistics is very different from most math classes, and I personally find statistics to make much more sense than any math I have studied since pre-algebra.

In summary: senior in HS, finishing alg. II, taking stats in the spring, wants to self-study for AP Stats exam, only has one semester to do so.

Thank you!

You can do this.  My dd signed up for the Edhesive course, and basically started it in March and was finished and got her 5 in May.  She is very mathy; AIME qualifying since 8th grade.  

• Like 2