Menu

Anyone read The Witcher series?

Soror

It has been my companion and distraction this week whenever I had any free moments. I just finished Lady of the Lake and thought there was another book as my library incorrectly labelled one of the stand alone books that is a prequel as #6. I'm so sad. What a horrible ending, all that build up and nothing. The last book had so much fluff in it and nonsense (I couldn't help but skip the one chapter about some tertiary character going off in a battle for 30 pages). 

54 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I watch the show; admittedly, because the Witcher is easy on the eyes. 😍 You could switch!

LOL, I watched the show first and I'll agree with that 🙂 I saw the book at the library after watching it and wanted to see what happened in the story. This is one book I'm hoping they change the ending for tv.

34 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I read the first book on the advice of a young friend who discovered it in their angsty teen years, and since they are an angsty young adult, I can see the appeal. I figured I was too old for it and didn't read any more.

It is a bit angtsy but I wouldn't say it is teen book.

3 hours ago, ashfern said:

After waiting 6 month for Blood Of Elves, I started to read it and the first chapter was a recap of Season 1 of the show. I though it was the first book? I returned it because I couldn't renew it. Not sure if I want to wait an additional 6 months for it.

Actually I've not read the first book, I forgot that. The first book wasn't in at the library so I started with 2. I figured the show covered Book 1 for the most part although I could tell there was some that must have been missed from where #2 started. I really enjoyed Book 2 and 3, liked 4 pretty well, 5 was a dissappointment.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I gave up a few books in. I love the concept, and hate the writing style.

The writing style was a bit different, I assumed that was mostly due to it being a translation. I did find it annoying how there wasn't anything to mark the different characters speaking, or even moving from one time to another. He could have had 4x as many chapters easily.

So, I asked my Polish speaking friends about the writing style and they don’t think it’s a translation issue. They are delighted to have something in Polish, but they concede the weird flashbacks and storyline issues. 

Henry Cavill is easy on the eyes, isn’t he.

On a side note, if you enjoyed The Witcher, have you checked out Ragnarok? It’s in Swedish, but subtitled. Not as much eye candy, but well done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

So, I asked my Polish speaking friends about the writing style and they don’t think it’s a translation issue. They are delighted to have something in Polish, but they concede the weird flashbacks and storyline issues. 

On a side note, if you enjoyed The Witcher, have you checked out Ragnarok? It’s in Swedish, but subtitled. Not as much eye candy, but well done.

Speaking of eye candy.  Boy, Sherlock in Enola Holmes, is easy on the eyes.  I think it's pretty funny that Superman is now Sherlock Holmes.  Is that a step down or up for him?  LOL.  It's funny, but I do think he was terribly miscast.  A hunky Sherlock???  Sheesh, he even has a chin dimple!! LOL.... (its very distracting ladies). 

My son played the Witcher game and tried watching the series.  He said it was way too depressing to watch.  I think it was best for his mental health that he stopped.  He's not too interested in the books.   I am mildly interested because it seems like my jam.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Interesting on the translation. The flashbacks are so confusing, watching the series it took us to figure out the timelines.  Thanks for the rec. I'll check it out.

5 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Speaking of eye candy.  Boy, Sherlock in Enola Holmes, is easy on the eyes.  I think it's pretty funny that Superman is now Sherlock Holmes.  Is that a step down or up for him?  LOL.  It's funny, but I do think he was terribly miscast.  A hunky Sherlock???  Sheesh, he even has a chin dimple!! LOL.... (its very distracting ladies). 

My son played the Witcher game and tried watching the series.  He said it was way too depressing to watch.  I think it was best for his mental health that he stopped.  He's not too interested in the books.   I am mildly interested because it seems like my jam.  

He was miscast, I agree. The series had depressing moments for sure, I turned at some parts it was too much for me, I can gloss over those parts in reading easier and not have the full picture to accompany it.

• Like 1