Menu

Are you having trick or treat?

mom2scouts

Thanks, Loowit and Sherry.  

Our plan is to have a family party in an area where lights won’t be visible to the street, but my mom is living with us and her room faces the street.  She would prefer to keep her routine, but I think seeing her light on may cause some ToTers to try the door.  

We aren’t sure what volume of kids to expect this year, or if they might be more aware of porch lights.  

Maybe I’ll just tuck my mom into bed early.  🤣

Here, porch light off means don't go on that property.  As far as I know, kids follow the rules, unless they are out for mischief.

Being on top of a hill, we are pretty safe from kids wasting their energy climbing up here just in the hope that our porch light is lying.  😛

We are typically busy and I expect to be more so because a couple of the regular destinations (like the mall, etc) aren't participating. I think we will set up a bowl of candy and put it on a table and sit out there and tell people to help themselves. I feel like the parents bringing little ones should be responsible for whether or not they want their kid touching candy or a bowl. I'm going to keep my distance, provide cheerful greetings and do it yourself candy picking. I feel like I can stay safe and it is up to the parents ushering kids around to keep them safe. In my community almost no one masks and people take very few precautions. I don't feel like I need to get bent out of shape providing some sterile experience when their parents probably do not care at all. 

I think we will be so busy that we will just have to hand out a giant bag of candy and then turn out our lights and hide. 

My only little one  left home is 12.5 yo. She's still excited about it so I suspect dh will take her to a few houses and then she will hang out with me. If she was younger I might try to do more but she is young enough to deal with a less than stellar trick or treating experience. 

I have no clue what our town is recommending, but we will not be handing out candy (lights off, scrooges at our house this year).   I don't have little kids anymore so going ToT isn't an issue.  We will enjoy Halloween with homemade pizza and other homemade treats and watch Halloween movies.