Menu

Canning salsa, question ?

Moonhawk

So I need to can salsa. I've done it before, I like my recipe. But, my recipe calls for bell peppers, and I have an excess of poblano peppers. Would this be an okay substitute? My brain says yes and the USDA's salsa recipe says that different peppers can be exchanged so long as the proportions to other ingredients is the same. But, canning isn't something I like to mess around with and this would be the first time I'd be going off the trodden path. 

So, is this safe? And if I roasted the poblanos, would that make a difference? 

13 hours ago, SusanC said:

Any chance you would share the recipe? It is too late for me this year, but maybe next. I never found a recipe I liked and gave up, but I like you, and if you like the recipe, well, that works!

Of course!

I use this one. https://www.melskitchencafe.com/best-homemade-salsa/

So on the 2 batches I've done this year, when I taste pre-canning I think, "Oh whoa too hot for me, gonna all be Christmas presents."

But then when I do a test taste of a sealed jar after a couple days, it's exactly right for me. And 2 weeks later, I suddenly have no Christmas presents left.

This probably depends on your own heat tolerance and your peppers. Mine this year have been pleasantly spicy but not too much, even the habaneros. I did do 50/50 jalapeños and habs on the last batch and people were happy with the taste and heat.

And I know it was just a cute comment, but you totally made my day, and I like you too! 🙂 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Of course!

I use this one. https://www.melskitchencafe.com/best-homemade-salsa/

So on the 2 batches I've done this year, when I taste pre-canning I think, "Oh whoa too hot for me, gonna all be Christmas presents."

But then when I do a test taste of a sealed jar after a couple days, it's exactly right for me. And 2 weeks later, I suddenly have no Christmas presents left.

This probably depends on your own heat tolerance and your peppers. Mine this year have been pleasantly spicy but not too much, even the habaneros. I did do 50/50 jalapeños and habs on the last batch and people were happy with the taste and heat.

And I know it was just a cute comment, but you totally made my day, and I like you too! 🙂 

This is a modified version of Annie's Salsa which is what I use too.  It's a great recipe.  The only safety tip I feel I must mention is that in the comments, Mel says you may use quarts and can it for 30 minutes.  The website I use (used to be garden web and now it's the harvest forum on houzz), Annie herself is an active member and very strongly tells everyone, this recipe has NEVER been tested in quarts and so there is no "safe" time on it.  It's a do it at your own risk thing but she really discourages it, won't even do it herself and she is a master canner.

Another thing to try if you feel like playing with flavors, you can sub a portion or all of the apple cider vinegar for BOTTLED lemon or lime juice.  I use equal parts of all 3.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

This is a modified version of Annie's Salsa which is what I use too.  It's a great recipe.  The only safety tip I feel I must mention is that in the comments, Mel says you may use quarts and can it for 30 minutes.  The website I use (used to be garden web and now it's the harvest forum on houzz), Annie herself is an active member and very strongly tells everyone, this recipe has NEVER been tested in quarts and so there is no "safe" time on it.  It's a do it at your own risk thing but she really discourages it, won't even do it herself and she is a master canner.

Another thing to try if you feel like playing with flavors, you can sub a portion or all of the apple cider vinegar for BOTTLED lemon or lime juice.  I use equal parts of all 3.  

Thankfully(?) all of the jars I can find right now are half and quarter pints, lol, so that is not a problem I have at this point. Good to know though, thank you!

• Like 1