Menu

Dr. Hive IBS in children

Shellydon

Get rid of gluten to start and dairy possibly.  My ds gets IBS symptoms (diarrhea/gas) whenever he eats gluten.  Most wheat in the United States is covered with round up.  It interferes with the gut.  Look here for an academic article :  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/  or here for “the common man”. https://lauraschoenfeldrd.com/glyphosate-gut-health-symptoms/

Edited by bethben

The GI doctor recommended the low FODMAP diet for my daughter and this has helped so much in managing her IBS.  

I have Shepherd and Gibson's book:  The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet.   There's also a lot of free information on the internet explaining all about what FODMAPs are.    

The diet is not as restrictive as other things we had tried with my dd first.   For example,  she was dairy-free for awhile but now she's able to eat lactose-free dairy products.    

I hope this helps your son, too!

• Like 1

Has your son ever had a blood test for celiac disease?  

If not,  I wouldn't eliminate gluten from his diet until after he sees the GI doctor.  If the dr wants to test him for celiac he should still be eating gluten to get an accurate result.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laurie said:

Has your son ever had a blood test for celiac disease?  

If not,  I wouldn't eliminate gluten from his diet until after he sees the GI doctor.  If the dr wants to test him for celiac he should still be eating gluten to get an accurate result.  

This, this, this!

Talk to a nurse at the GI doctor’s office before you make any big dietary changes. It could mess up getting a correct diagnosis.