Menu

my dishes . . . . !!!!!!

my 3 yo ds is single-handedly responsible for breaking most of my dishes in the past 6 months.

I know there's plastic. But until this child happened along we've been able to function without plastic-- a few dishes broken, no biggie.

Today! Today he's broken 3 different dishes. A cup, a bowl, and a plate.

Is it possible this is a sign that he can't see peripherally? It's usually somethings that's on the side of his plate that he knocks off.

Fortunately I can recommend pfaltzgraff as it doesn't shatter. And it's possible to pick up replacements at resale shops. But come on, this is getting irritating.

One word for you . . . Corelle!

Rather than stress about your dishes, buy some Corelle. They have lots of nice patterns and are open stock so you can replace one piece if, by chance, it DOES break (we've only had 2 break in 10 yrs. . . . 2nd one just this morning!!)

It DOES get better with little ones and dishes, but WE are into teenage boys (3) and dishes . . . their bodies are growing faster than their memory of how long their arms are and where their elbows are located!!

I DO have a set of regular plates for when we have company or when I get tired of the Corelle . . . just a collection of different white plates from Goodwill (amazing how good they all look together - mismatched, but "go" together . . . ala shabby chic).

Kimm in WA

One word for you . . . Corelle!

:iagree: Yup! Yup!

AND get an extra set for when they start washing the dishes. I had the same set of Corelle for *years* but now? I was just looking at them the other day thinking I'm needing another one. Chips here and there and soon we'll be using plates for bowls if I don't do something.

Yes -- they are *very* sturdy and will stand up to the occasional floor-splat. But if you have a kid who is intent on experimenting to find out just how much force they can withstand? It wouldn't surprise me if there's a conspiracy afoot to get us to switch to paper plates after all. :lol:

I bought Corelle plates to use for lunch plates a few years ago. Almost all of them are now broken. They hit the tile floor and just shatter. Maybe if you don't have a tile floor...

We have Corelle and our ktichen is tile, our dining room is marble floor- so far so good, one break in the last year or two i think, but usually they don't break. Of course we dont have little kids any more, just clutsy teenagers doign dishes when they woudl rather be doign something else :)

Linoleum? It was a rare dish that broke when we had that type of flooring.

Anyway, our new house has ceramic tile. The Corelle doesn't do so great there. It doesn't just break, it splinters. The good thing is that it is easy to replace. I got my set when we got married 13 years ago and I've replaced bowls from Wal-Mart as recently as a year ago. Now......I'm hoping for new dishes, so no more replacing.

I don't do anything but plastic for the girls. Which tells you who is responsible for the broken dishes in my house, I guess.:D

I just posted about this great dish in the Natural living social group. We got them for our little kids and they are perfect. They are thicker than regular Corelle and are divided.

71160003620.jpg

We got the matching bowls in a size smaller than regular bowls.

They are cheapest at the Corelle store. Otherwise you can order here-

http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=52&pid=75

I bought Corelle plates to use for lunch plates a few years ago. Almost all of them are now broken. They hit the tile floor and just shatter. Maybe if you don't have a tile floor...

Anyway, our new house has ceramic tile. The Corelle doesn't do so great there. It doesn't just break, it splinters.

:iagree: Splinters EVERYWHERE on the tile. UGH. I have Plaztgraph everyday dishes and they shatter just the same on the tile (and countertop - i had that happen a few weeks ago). Not as small of pieces as the corelle - so better, but not great either.

I just posted about this great dish in the Natural living social group. We got them for our little kids and they are perfect. They are thicker than regular Corelle and are divided.

71160003620.jpg

We got the matching bowls in a size smaller than regular bowls.

They are cheapest at the Corelle store. Otherwise you can order here-

http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=52&pid=75

I have these plates in evil plastic melamine! LOL!!! But that is what my 2 youngest use, the middle one could use a regular plate - and we have been doing it depending on what we are eating. She has issues anyway and these solved the food touching problems so she would EAT (as a side note, she started eating more variety of foods with it too!).

Plastic cups for everyone, plastic IKEA plates for lunches.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90096908

I have these plates in evil plastic melamine! LOL!!! But that is what my 2 youngest use, the middle one could use a regular plate - and we have been doing it depending on what we are eating. She has issues anyway and these solved the food touching problems so she would EAT (as a side note, she started eating more variety of foods with it too!).

Plastic cups for everyone, plastic IKEA plates for lunches.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90096908

We have these Ikea plates and the cups also! Cheap as chips and no phtalates. We use them for cold lunches.