Menu

Apples, apples and more apples

SereneHome

It's apple picking season, so we went apple picking....I got a LOT of apples. We like apples, but even with 5 people I don't think we'll be able to eat it fast enough. I have a few recipes that I can make with apples, but I need some that I can make and freeze. I don't think I want to just freeze apples. No apple pies! I don't make pies!!

So, anyone got some good recipes with apples that freeze well??

17 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I go apple picking each year

Apple sauce of course as others have mentioned.  Or, apple butter, which is mostly the same thing, just cooked down more.

Apple muffins/waffles/pancakes/other bread products.   Most of these freeze really well

Dehydrate them.  If you have a dehydrator, I have found apples the easiest to dehydrate and they really are great in things like oatmeal, trail mixes, and even dehydrated apples can be used in muffins etc.

Jelly/jam.  This is especially easy if you have a bread machine with a jam cycle.  Chop it up, put it in the machine, add the pectin, press start.  

What type of apples do you have?

Don't know.....

Kids were picking from different rows, some of them weren't marked....

I do have a dehydrator, so might try that and also freezing pieces. I buy organic apple sauce in TJ for very cheap, so I don't think I want to invest time and energy in doing that.

2 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Don't know.....

Kids were picking from different rows, some of them weren't marked....

I do have a dehydrator, so might try that and also freezing pieces. I buy organic apple sauce in TJ for very cheap, so I don't think I want to invest time and energy in doing that.

If you've never had homemade applesauce, you don't know what you are missing.  Once I tried homemade, it made all the time and effort worth it.  My kids won't even eat store bought stuff anymore.  Cortlands are preferred and I let them age (aka when they are wrinkling and no one wants to eat them fresh any more) and then make sauce.  It's sweeter than the grocery stores applesauce with sugar and mine has none.