Menu

Covid stuff in my area

Night Elf

The 1st day of school for my neighboring countyd was Monday. That night one of the 2nd graders was diagnosed with Covid so his teacher and all his classmates have to stay home for the next 2 weeks. That's in a contained classroom. What will happen in middle and high school when the kids are bumping each other in the hallways?

I have two kids in college in the fall. Thankfully, the universities are trying to social distance as much as possible. My ds starting a new college just got an email today from his calculus teacher saying that he will be streaming and recording his classes for any students who wish to stay home. For those who want face to face instruction, only 25% of the class will be allowed in the classroom at one time so the teacher sent out a survey to get the names of the students who want to go to campus and he will create a rotating schedule so they'll be doing some online and some on campus.

My other ds is in his last semester and is only needing elective hours. He tried finding online classes because he's totally wigged out about going back onto campus. Unfortunately, he couldn't find any open courses that sounded even remotely interesting. So he's on campus two days a week with back to back classes. He's tutoring for the university and I don't know if that will continue to be online or if he'll have to go to campus to the tutoring center for in person instruction.

Yup. It's one of many similar stories happening right now.

My state is reporting a camp mass infection event---people were outdoors, socially distanced, with frequent hand washing.  And, my church is hosting a youth event with more than double those participants tonight outdoors, socially distanced, with hand sanitizer stations like it's no big deal. Maybe they'll get lucky, but when you do the math about the likelihood of someone infected being there tonight, it doesn't look good.  They can run the numbers they are legally because it's a church event, but our state has limited social gatherings to 10 (even outdoors) based on the amount of spread that is happening. It's stupid.

I had another family friend die yesterday (different state than mine). I'm getting sick of hearing the regret stories...."If only I had known how serious this was....", "I didn't think this could happen to my family....we just got together for a birthday party." 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I had another family friend die yesterday (different state than mine). I'm getting sick of hearing the regret stories...."If only I had known how serious this was....", "I didn't think this could happen to my family....we just got together for a birthday party." 

Yes! Why does it have to be hindsight?

A local school superintendent, a bit north of me, is positive. He has no idea where he got it or who he exposed. And is quoted in the paper as saying that this really drove home to him the need for masks and social distancing. DUDE!  Did you not get that BEFORE? Why did it take you getting it, personally, to figure that out?!?

• Thanks 2

Yup. It's one of many similar stories happening right now.

My state is reporting a camp mass infection event---people were outdoors,

Not entirely outdoors on things I read and not necessarily distanced within each pod.  But the pods were kept separated and more people are sick than were in each pod.  I think more than 2 whole pods worth of sickness.  (Not clear what percent per pod).  And my info said all Are age 20 or younger.

But it is also not clear how sick they are.  

socially distanced, with frequent hand washing.  And, my church is hosting a youth event with more than double those participants tonight outdoors, socially distanced, with hand sanitizer stations like it's no big deal. Maybe they'll get lucky, but when you do the math about the likelihood of someone infected being there tonight, it doesn't look good.  They can run the numbers they are legally because it's a church event, but our state has limited social gatherings to 10 (even outdoors) based on the amount of spread that is happening. It's stupid.

I am tired of the regret stories also.

54 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes! Why does it have to be hindsight?

A local school superintendent, a bit north of me, is positive. He has no idea where he got it or who he exposed. And is quoted in the paper as saying that this really drove home to him the need for masks and social distancing. DUDE!  Did you not get that BEFORE? Why did it take you getting it, personally, to figure that out?!?

I have the feeling that for a high percentage of people it would take a personal fairly severe case .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's 4 schools with cases now: https://www.ajc.com/education/get-schooled-blog/cherokee-reports-covid-19-cases-in-three-more-schools/V6K7XGLZXVHRTFI7E6BSXZIQAU/ Yeah, it's a mess. My husband is a math teacher one county over; right now I'm just hoping that they'll see Cherokee as the cautionary tale that it is and not go back to in person until numbers look way better. My 17 year old is starting dual enrollment this year, and we decided he'll only do online classes for now (which means he's only doing one class this semester, since the other one he was planning on was full online). My 19 year old is supposed to go back to college in Minnesota in a few weeks...Minnesota looks a lot better than Georgia right now, but...we'll see.