Menu

I'm freezing in here! Talk to me about heaters

It's cold. And I'm not just talking about outside. :glare: I am trying to save money by conserving energy but it's just plain cold and I can't stand it. The baby also constantly pulls footwear off and the tiny toes are like ice cubes!

Will I save money by turning down the furnace and using a small, portable electric heater in the room(s) that we are in? I would be willing to move it around or buy two if they are a decent price. I just need to know that my efforts will save us money. FWIW we heat our home with natural gas and our furnace is 16 years old and 78% efficient. I currently have the thermostat set at 68 but the thermostat isn't near our main living areas. It's toasty where the thermostat is but not so much where I need it to be.:glare:

If an electric heater will save me money, please recommend a good one!! I don't want to spend a lot of money to save it!

We use the EdenPure. It is amazing, energy efficient, and cool to the touch for your little ones. I would recommend just checking out the website and seeing if it is right for you, but it has already almost paid for itself in the savings I am seeing in my gas bill (still so early in the heating season), it is barely increasing my electric bill (by a few dollars) and is keeping our old place cozy. http://www.edenpure.com

I live in a 110yo ramshackle fixer-upper with high ceilings and leaky windows. I also struggle with chronic anemia. Cold is a theme in my life.

I have found that the absolute most effective way to stay warm is to use your own body heat. Buy cheap wind-resistant pants and a light wind-resistant jacket. You don't need to spend a ton--just get a cheap men's pair from Target or WalMart or whatever. Wear them in the house OVER your regular clothes.

Also buy a pair of down slippers.

We use the EdenPure. It is amazing, energy efficient, and cool to the touch for your little ones. I would recommend just checking out the website and seeing if it is right for you, but it has already almost paid for itself in the savings I am seeing in my gas bill (still so early in the heating season), it is barely increasing my electric bill (by a few dollars) and is keeping our old place cozy. www.edenpure.com

Thank you so much!! I will definitely look into this product some more. It sounds exactly like what I am looking for! A bit on the pricey side to get started with but I'll have to do further investigating now.

I live in a 110yo ramshackle fixer-upper with high ceilings and leaky windows. I also struggle with chronic anemia. Cold is a theme in my life.

I have found that the absolute most effective way to stay warm is to use your own body heat. Buy cheap wind-resistant pants and a light wind-resistant jacket. You don't need to spend a ton--just get a cheap men's pair from Target or WalMart or whatever. Wear them in the house OVER your regular clothes.

Also buy a pair of down slippers.

Yes, slippers are a must, but I'm allergic to feathers! I can't seem to get the kids to keep slippers on either.

You house sounds like mine! Ugh. I like your idea about clothing selection. I was hoping to not have to go that route but you're right, it really is a great way to go.

I'm sorry your freezin'!:grouphug:

When we lived out in the boonies with an ancient lp furnace and lp was so $$$ we bought two of these (well, the older version of this - mine doesn't look quite so hip!) and one of these to help keep the house warm...it was a *very* small house....but these worked wonders.

The one that we bought 2 of has an auto shut off and is not hot to the touch. It is also somewhat programable. When it gets really cold here, I still pull them out because our school room is too far from the fireplace and I just hate running the central heat except at night. The use of these had almost zero effect on our electric bill.

Yes, slippers are a must, but I'm allergic to feathers! I can't seem to get the kids to keep slippers on either.

You house sounds like mine! Ugh. I like your idea about clothing selection. I was hoping to not have to go that route but you're right, it really is a great way to go.

The clincher for me was the fact that wearing the silly paratrooper outfit is literally hundreds of dollars cheaper than running the heater. I find it's also far more effective at keeping me warm than a space heater, because the space heater just cannot combat drafts.

We tried a space heater once at night only. Our second floor wasn't well insulated. It increased our bill by a HUGE amount (like, by $500!)! When I called and asked why it was so much more that month (we'd decreased the temp on the thermostat), she asked if we had a space heater.

So, I'd love to decrease the temp of our thermostat, but I'm a bit nervous after our experience a few years ago! Does the type of heater matter?

Thanks!

We're on our third 200 year old house. The drafts were so bad, you could see the curtains blowing when the windows were shut! Insulation isn't so good either.

When dc were babies, they pulled their socks off all the time too. My solution was tights, thick cotton or wool under their overalls. They could pull on them all day long and never get to bare toes! :D

They had slippers too (with cuffs) but could pull them off as soon as they were walking. Sort of like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARNET-HILL-Dragon-Boiled-Wool-Slipper-Boots-SIze-13_W0QQitemZ110316753385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110316753385&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

If you're allergic to feathers, try these

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=23777&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

And of course, wear layers: long underwear, sweaters, fleece, etc. I am a big fan of wool. It's much warmer than cotton, not that hard to wash and hanging it to dry in the house works like a humidifier.

Heating your personal space (ie. warmer clothing) is almost always cheaper than heating the whole house.

We wear stockings or long slippers here when it is cold. If you are going to be sitting for awhile, a small heating pad can work wonders and is generally very energy efficient. Also, try to seal up as many places as you can that leak heat and let in cold. We have older windows in our house and we rent, so we are limited in what we can fix (i.e. we can't replace the old, leaky windows). I hang quilted curtains over the windows with the worst leaks and use draft dodgers on doors and other windows. Makes a huge difference. HTH

Have you thought about closing the vents in the rooms you are not using? We close off the vents in the basement in the summer when we are a/cing because it gets cold down there fast. Could you do something similar by closing off the vents to bedrooms during the day to force the warm air into the used parts of the house?

Just a thought. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

We tried a space heater once at night only. Our second floor wasn't well insulated. It increased our bill by a HUGE amount (like, by $500!)! When I called and asked why it was so much more that month (we'd decreased the temp on the thermostat), she asked if we had a space heater.

So, I'd love to decrease the temp of our thermostat, but I'm a bit nervous after our experience a few years ago! Does the type of heater matter?

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this also. Especially in view of the other posts recommending the EdenPure and the other space heaters. Those testimonials sound great, but is there a difference between these and other space heaters?

We use the EdenPure. It is amazing, energy efficient, and cool to the touch for your little ones. ....it has already almost paid for itself in the savings I am seeing in my gas bill (still so early in the heating season), it is barely increasing my electric bill (by a few dollars) and is keeping our old place cozy. www.edenpure.com

When we lived out in the boonies with an ancient lp furnace and lp was so $$$ we bought two of these ... and one of these to help keep the house warm...these worked wonders....The use of these had almost zero effect on our electric bill.

Bumping up from page 8. I'm interested to know if anyone else has input on whether a space heater will increase or decrease your gas or electric bill, and does it matter which kind of space heater...a basic, cheap one, or one that's specifically "high efficiency".

I hope this is not a bad time of day/night to bump. It's 1 am here.

Bumping up from page 8. I'm interested to know if anyone else has input on whether a space heater will increase or decrease your gas or electric bill, and does it matter which kind of space heater...a basic, cheap one, or one that's specifically "high efficiency".

I hope this is not a bad time of day/night to bump. It's 1 am here.

I did some researching on the EdenPure after it was mentioned here and found that some love it and more hate it. They often quit working right away and the Customer Service isn't good. Here's a link to read comments:

http://forums.howwhatwhy.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=machines&Number=262499&fpart=1

--

And here's a quote that gives better options:

<<The majority of the heaters discussed in this thread are nothing more than simple electrical-resistance heat-generating devices. Regardless of how they are packaged/housed, the operating principle is precisely the same as an electric oven, hair blow-dryer or tabletop bread toaster.

And although everyone may not be aware of it, heating by way of electrical resistance is absolutely the MOST expensive method known to humankind! Anything - and I mean anything else is cheaper. The only genuine attraction for such units is their simplicity of installation and use - buy them & plug 'em in. But the owners of these devices will pay dearly for that convenience every time the power bill arrives.

A good alternative for your needs is a vented/ventless gas heater. There are hundreds of different makes & models to choose from and they're practically maintenance free. (Perhaps once every year or two, they may need the dust blown out of the tiny pilot-light jet - and that's it.)>>

--

More:

http://www.cetsolar.com/ventless.htm

$250-320 GAS

Empire Vent-Free units do not require electricity to operate unless a blower is purchased.

--

Old Dad (Expert on heaters)

The best solutions by far, depending on availability in your area, is natural gas or propane. You'll be amazed at how quickly either can heat an area like that and how little it will cost.

--

Convection and radiant means it doesn't incorporate a fan so there will be cold spots in the room. The convection part means the majority of the heat will accumulate near the ceiling and the floor will remain cold at some distance from the heater. The radiant part means you will need to be in front of it and fairly close to feel much effect, very much like an open fireplace.

And always be sure to remember that it's strictly an electrical-resistance heater - THE most expensive method for providing heat.

--

After reading about horrible CS, I think I will find a local store and get advice about purchasing a ventless gas unit directly from them.

HTH.

I use a cheap (under $20) box-heater fan to warm up a room here and there. The fan part helps move the air and speeds up the heating. UNplug it right away, it save electricity and it's safer. The cheap ones do need to be monitored around little ones, but it doesn't get hot/hot to the touch.

You can also check with your electric company for pricing information. We had a comparison to different styles of heat...electricity, gas, etc.

Try to keep warm. I agree with the layering up, but use the little heater in the morning or just before bed to help. The silk pointelle long-johns from LL Bean are amazing and don't make you feel stiff and puffed up. (Your regular clothes will still fit.:D) I beleive Land's End has them too and they are worth the dollars spent imo.

The heater fan can also be used as a plain old fan in the summer. Consider sealing out the cold with window coverings...drapes or the plastic and one of those door draft dodgers. Also look under your sinks (for drafts) and put the foam liners into you electrical sockets.

Thanks!

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this also. Especially in view of the other posts recommending the EdenPure and the other space heaters. Those testimonials sound great, but is there a difference between these and other space heaters?

It could be type of heater and climate. I live in Texas, not Michigan, so our cold is not as cold as Jennifer's cold (for which I am very thankful!:D). Our furnace also sucked lp like you would not believe! And at the time, it cost $400 to fill our 300 gallon tank. If we ran the furnace all day, we would have to fill that tank every 3 -4 weeks!! We used the little plug-in space heaters and saw no difference in our electric bill....it was around $115 each month.

One thing I did notice in Jennifer's post is that they used their space heater on the 2nd floor that was not insulated very well. That could also help explain the increase in her electric bill. Lowering their thermostat may have also contributed to the increase bill.....I know, it sounds backwards, but we had a similar situation and when I called the electric company I was told that the most energy efficient thing to do on your thermostat is to set it and leave it alone. That anytime you lower it in winter, then raise it, it causes your unit to work twice as hard, thereby using more energy, to bring the room temp up to the desired temp. Same applies for summer, a lot of people raise it when they are gone, lower it when they get home, and are shocked by their electric bill.

Anyway, I am by no means an expert. This is just the information from my experiences. Probably the best thing to do would be to contact a local heating/cooling company and asked them their advice for your area.

Also, down here, attic insulation is pretty cheap. If that's an option for you, it would help keep heat from escaping through your attic.

HTH!:)