Menu

Will be a first year homeschooler - Questions re: 3rd grade language arts

I want to make sure that I am understanding the language arts curriculum correctly.  I have rising 3rd grade twins that I want to homeschool next year because of COVID-19.  They've been in public school thus far.

I am researching curriculum but from my list I am trying to weed out if I have any overlap because this seems lengthy.  I will likely have to do placement tests so my questions aren't really about choosing levels at this time so levels mentioned are mostly placeholders.

Reading:  All About Reading, having them read from readers appropriately leveled for them, read alouds

Phonics:  Explode the Code

Spelling:  All About Spelling or Spelling Workout

Vocabulary:  Wordly Wise book 3

Copy Work:  Copy Work for Young Ones - Animal Lovers 

Handwriting/Cursive:  Zaner-Bloser 3

Writing: Writing With Ease level 2

Grammar:  First Language Lessons level 3

So, too much, not enough or just right? Missing something important? 

Thanks!

Oh, that is so much.

For third grade we did a grammar book and a spelling book. 

We don't use a specific reading program -- just lots of good books.

We should have done handwriting but didn't.  Four out of six of mine have good handwriting...  If your kids have been in public school, they may not even need more handwriting instruction unless they don't know cursive yet and you want them too.  I would not do handwriting and copy work.

You have some definite overlap. 

I'd pick phonics or spelling. Once mine were reading fluently the spelling book took over the phonics instruction. I'm not familiar enough with AAR to know if it's literature or more overlap here. 

Do they really still need separate penmanship? Or can the copywork BE the penmanship? If correction as needed through copywork would work I'd drop the penmanship. And Writing With Ease has enough copywork built in that you do not need an extra source. 

My youngest is finishing third now. He had a grammar book, a writing book, a spelling book, and a pile of high quality children's literature to read and discuss. 

Are they reading well? If so drop phonics. I haven't used AAR so I don't know about the readers, but if they are reading ok you can just have them pick out books to read from the library. 

WWE 2 will have copywork so just use that. 

We have not found vocabulary needed. I would wait and see how your weeks are going and about 8 weeks in see if you feel you could add something else in. 

It takes time to adjust so I would start off light and then add in and see if you are still getting to everything. 

10 hours ago, purpleshamrock said:

Reading:  All About Reading, having them read from readers appropriately leveled for them, read alouds

If their reading still requires phonics and leveled readers, I would drop grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, and cursive.  So what you would have left is reading, phonics, and copy work.  I'd add in having them narrate with you writing down what they say.  This could serve as copy work.

If they are reading well, I'd drop the phonics and leveled readers.  All About Spelling will reinforce phonics well enough (Spelling Workout is, IMO, busywork).  I'd drop vocabulary and simply ensure that you read aloud from books that use interesting vocabulary.  I would eliminate the copy work book and just do WWE.  I'd keep the grammar (just be sure it's the right level).

Those are great choices!!  But it is definitely too much. 🙂 Like others have said, I would choose either phonics or spelling, depending on where they are with reading fluency.  If they are fluent readers, I would pick All About Spelling.  For reading, you can just have them read regularly at their level.  (Again, assuming they are fluent readers.) And along those lines, you can totally use the library (assuming it will be open next year) for their reading material. I also agree that you can do either copywork or handwriting. Regarding grammar, I don't think it is necessary in 3rd grade, but others may disagree. I would pick a writing program and work on grammar as it comes up naturally in their writing. 

One thing I would add, if you haven't thought of this, is read alouds.  Choose literature that is above their reading level to read to them and discuss.  This can be related to content areas (science or history) or just good literature. I have always tried to rotate through the genres and expose them to historical fiction, mystery, adventure, fantasy, biography, etc. and we have had the most enriching learning experiences through this.  

Best wishes with your homeschool journey! 

ETA

I don't think you need a vocabulary curriculum in third grade. If you are reading aloud to them and exposing them to great language, plus writing and copywork, that will happen organically. 

Edited by kristin0713

16 hours ago, purpleshamrock said:

I want to make sure that I am understanding the language arts curriculum correctly.  I have rising 3rd grade twins that I want to homeschool next year because of COVID-19.  They've been in public school thus far.

I am researching curriculum but from my list I am trying to weed out if I have any overlap because this seems lengthy.  I will likely have to do placement tests so my questions aren't really about choosing levels at this time so levels mentioned are mostly placeholders.

Thanks!

Great choices, but definitely some overlap 🙂

All About Reading and Explode the Code are both phonics. Pick 1. I'm partial to AAR, but both are good. If they are already reading pretty well (e.g. short chapter books), I'd skip both and just do All About Spelling as it includes all the concepts presented in AAR, but from the output/spelling side of things vs the input/reading side.

Writing with Ease includes copy work, so forget the Animal Lovers book.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, purpleshamrock said:

Thanks!

Ok so lets put those into categories:

Phonics: All About Reading OR Explode the Code - both are phonics. Do they need phonics? If they are reading fluently drop this and do spelling. If they are not, drop spelling and do one of these, or another phonics program (Abecedarian Reading is my favorit)

Spelling: All About Spelling or Spelling Workout. Again, if they still need phonics, drop spelling. If they are reading fluently, drop phonics and pick one of these. 

Vocabulary: personally I think not needed if they are reading and you are reading to them, and watching some documentaries, etc to pick up vocabulary

Copywork/Handwriting/Writing/Grammar - a lot of overlap here. Copywork is designed to teach grammar and writing, and some spelling, and practice handwriting. You are adding each of those things separately, which you don't need to do. Also, Writing with Ease has coypwork in it, and I think First Language Lessons does too. So you don't need to add more. Pick something 🙂

Seriously, either do the copywork book you listed, and use it to teach grammar and writing, OR use Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons. Not all of them. 

• Like 1