Menu

8th grade non-fiction book suggestions?

I would like to add a time in our day where we read books like Secrets of Highly Successful Teens. I'm looking for more books kind of in this area. Sort of self-help, sort of inspirational, sort of practical. I'd particularly like ideas for books about how the brain works and how we can influence the wiring of our own brains, and relationships. I feel like we've covered the physical stuff, but I want to talk to him about the relationship stuff. And while, (of course) I do being it up naturally, I don't want to forget anything and sometimes it might come across to him better if the message is coming from a book instead of me. (Y'know, 'cause I'm dumber than a box of rocks and I couldn't possibly know anything about anything!) So I'd love to hear suggestions! Thanks!

Spark! by Ratey is a great book.  

I just did a search to see if Medina had anything for teens, and he has Attack of the Teenage Brain.  I haven't read it, but I've read his Brain Rules and Brain Rules for Aging Well, both of which were very good.  He also has a Great Courses on audible- Your Best Brain - that looks really good.  

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but:

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr

Outliers by Malcom Galdwell

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie

Atomic Habits by James Clear

Never Get Angry Again by David Lieberman

These are books off my personal reading list from last year.  I think they're all appropriate for teens and most definitely written at a teen reading level.