Menu

Gastrointestinal Covid symptoms...

Joker

Does anyone have any good information to link on what this actually looks like?

My mom had surgery this past week and spent several days in the hospital. Her stomach has been a mess the past two days so we called the doctors office and they say she isn’t the first to complain and they think there is a stomach bug going through the patients on that floor. I’ve heard a lot about some Covid patients only having stomach issues. Would it spread that way between all on the floor if that was the symptom of the spreader or would it be a mixed bag of symptoms and some respiratory? Would respiratory symptoms start later? 

Just trying to have all the info in case.

Just FYI. Whenever I think about hospitals and antibiotics, my first thought goes to Cdiff.  Please make sure your mom is taking a good probiotic if she can.  Florastor is my go-to. And excellent for cdiff and preventing it from taking hold.

hope your mom is better soon.  

• Like 4

I'd think that if it were Covid, it would be highly unusual for everyone to just be exhibiting stomach symptoms.  So, I don't think it's Covid.  I'm sorry she has to deal with anything at all on top of just having had surgery though!  It does seem like the hospital owes you more information other than it being some kind of stomach bug.  I mean, if several patients from that floor are getting it, you'd think they'd be a little worried and running all sorts of tests to find out exactly what it is.

11 hours ago, matrips said:

Just FYI. Whenever I think about hospitals and antibiotics, my first thought goes to Cdiff.  Please make sure your mom is taking a good probiotic if she can.  Florastor is my go-to. And excellent for cdiff and preventing it from taking hold.

hope your mom is better soon.  

Definitely this. I spent time in the ICU for a serious c diff infection with severe sepsis. I could have died from it, and my recovery was very long.

C diff is highly infectious. It can result after antibiotic use, but it can also result from exposure (no antibiotics). Combine the two (antibiotic use AND exposure) and it's not good.

Get tested. Take Florastor. 

If she does, indeed, have c diff, there are three avenues for healing: 

--Metronidazole: Often the first that is tried. Insurance companies like it because it is cheap. However, it is also mostly ineffective. There tends to be some improvement but not full resolution, which means either recurrent infections or a long-term infection with continuing escalations in interventions. Don't bother with this drug, OR take it in addition to one of the other two. But do not consent to just this drug alone. 

--Vancomycin: Highly effective. Liquid form is cheaper than pills, but needs a compounding pharmacy to make it for you. If you use liquid form, take it using a syringe and shoot it at the back of the mouth right into the throat so that you avoid touching the teeth. It's rough on tooth enamel. (And you'll actually feel it if it does touch your teeth--the tooth will actually feel as though it shrivels or dries up--it doesn't obviously, but it feels icky.)

--Fidaxomicin: Highly effective and expensive. If I were to get sick with c diff again, this is the drug I would choose.

Edited to add: Other things that help enormously are probiotics, both in pill form and in foods like sauerkraut or yogurt. Take probiotics at a different time than the Florastor.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 1