Menu

Hamlet play that we can watch online?

Does anyone have a recommendation for this?

We were supposed to see the play in person and it was cancelled due to COVID.

We own the Kenneth Branaugh (sp?) film but I was hoping for the actual play so we could read along for some portions. I could always have us listen to an audio recording as well, but I think the visual that the play offers really helps.  

I would like to avoid sexual content so if you can give me a heads up, that would be great. I haven't seen Hamlet in years, and I don't remember anything. 

BEST version ever -- David Tennant as Hamlet! 😍 Stream it for a fee through: Amazon Prime Video; Kanopy; iTunes

re: s*xual content:
Branagh version has a scene of naked Ophelia (Kate Winset) and clothed Hamlet (Branagh) in bed together -- see here for description of other moments.
Tennant version -- when Ophelia has her insanity scene, she is in bra/underware only; see here for description of the mild s*x/violence

You might also consider the 1980 Derek Jacobi version; videotaped in studio on a minimal set as part of the BBC's Complete Shakespeare series from 1976-1985. I'm not familiar with the Hamlet, but have seen several of the other plays from that series; since they were done for BBC broadcast, none of the ones I saw were R-rated, lol. Here is the parent guide info for s*x/violence. Stream it for a fee through: Amazon Prime Video

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

The Branagh Hamlet does have some brief flashes of a bed scene between Hamlet & Ophelia, no actual nudity (IIRC), just some creative draping of the bedclothes. And in one of Ophelia's dialogues while she is mad she does some um,  body thrusting  that implies she is thinking of something else.   All these bits are very brief and could easily be forwarded through if needed.

My high schooler greatly enjoyed the Branagh version after he read the play. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

I have to confess -- I greatly dislike the Branagh version -- he was in his fully-inflated ego stage at that point, and camera endless circles round and round Kenneth (I mean, Hamlet, lol) in a way that seemed to scream "Look at me act! Look at me act! Look at me act!" 

(I do think Branagh was perfectly cast in his film version of Much Ado About Nothing.)

In contrast, I was absolutely riveted to Tennent and his portrayal of Hamlet -- his interpretation of the "To Be or Not To Be" soliloquy was astounding.

YMMV... Different viewers will like different versions. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Fyi. I can't find the full Tennant play on Kanopy (we get Kanopy through the library--possibly our library access is limited?).  There is a "making of" type video there though.

Thanks for heads up on the Kenneth Branagh version--I can always fast forward if needed. I just didn't want to be caught off guard.  😃

• Like 1