Menu

Help me choose a fairy tale book, please

Xahm

Please help me choose a book for my one year old niece's birthday. We want to get a book of fairy tales, more of the classic than the Disney variety, but they can be twists on classic tales to a certain extent. The two big requirements are that each story should be fairly short and the whole thing should be pleasant for adults who don't love reading to read aloud.

It's a bit of a running joke that we give their family books because the parents are self-avowed non-reading engineer types and our family loves books. Still, we want each book given to have a possibility of sparking enjoyment, even if not a love of reading. 

• Like 1

DK: A First Book of Fairy Tales (Hoffman) -- 14 classic tales; short story lengths; loads of lovely color illustrations
Classic Fairy Tales (Gustafson) -- 10 classic tales; slightly longer story lengths than the DK book; lots of sumptuous color illustrations
A Treasury of Five Minute Stories -- 30 fairy tales, folktales, & fables
Five-Minute Stories -- 50 fairy tales, folktales, & fables
-- both of the last 2 are from Cottage Door Press; super short; classic fairy and folktales; lots of color illustrations -- see inside the Treasury book here

Also, a bit further afield from your original request, but:
- The Real Mother Goose -- the classic collection of nursery rhymes; very short rhymes; color illustrations
- Richard Scarry's A Story A Day: 365 Stories and Rhymes -- very short; original stories about animals and children; charming color and 2-color illustrations

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Yeah, I can't imagine fairy tales appropriate for a one year old.  I actually spent a fair amount of time pondering at what age to introduce which stories: 

I introduce FOLK tales around 2.5 (Three Bears, Magic Porridge Pot, The Mitten, Gingerbread Man, The Turnip).  Around age 3, I introduce The Three Little Pigs, Billy Goats Gruff, The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids, The Shoemaker and the Elves.  Around age four to five, I introduce the first true fairy tales:  Little Red Riding Hood, The Frog Prince, Mother Holle, Frog Prince, Rumplestilskin, Rapunzel, and Bremen Town Musicians.   At six, I read them Snow White and Rose Red, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Golden Goose, Hansel and Gretel, Little Briar Rose, and Cinderella.  The rest of Grimm, I save for closer to age seven.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, I can't imagine fairy tales appropriate for a one year old.  I actually spent a fair amount of time pondering at what age to introduce which stories: 

I introduce FOLK tales around 2.5 (Three Bears, Magic Porridge Pot, The Mitten, Gingerbread Man, The Turnip).  Around age 3, I introduce The Three Little Pigs, Billy Goats Gruff, The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids, The Shoemaker and the Elves.  Around age four to five, I introduce the first true fairy tales:  Little Red Riding Hood, The Frog Prince, Mother Holle, Frog Prince, Rumplestilskin, Rapunzel, and Bremen Town Musicians.   At six, I read them Snow White and Rose Red, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Golden Goose, Hansel and Gretel, Little Briar Rose, and Cinderella.  The rest of Grimm, I save for closer to age seven.  

It's not that I think fairy tales are the best for a one year old. I just think that an engagingly written and illustrated book of quick to read stories is a good way to help parents who know they ought to read to their kid, but don't actually enjoy reading, ease into a good habit. Maybe now, maybe in a year or three when the child is old enough to ask for it. 

• Like 3

This is my favorite fairy tale book. I adored it as a child and found it reprinted a few years ago. The illustrations are breathtaking and it has many unusual stories from across the world. I’m not going to say it makes a ton of sense for a one yo, but it is a beautiful book for later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...