Menu

Gordon Ramsay recipe help

Myra

My apsie son wants to make this recipe.  But when he tries to make a conversion into tsps, ozs, lbs, etc. it doesn't make sense.  For example, 60 grams of ginder = 12 teaspoons of ginger?  And since he's an apsie he will not improvise but needs to follow the recipe exactly!

Can anybody make the conversions for us?  Thanks

https://gordonrumsay.com/chilli-chicken-with-ginger-coriander

• Chicken thighs 600 g
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • Ginger 60 g
  • 1 red chilli
  • 1 lemon
  • Coriander seeds 20 g
  • Cumin seeds 20 g
  • Plain yoghurt 200 ml
  • 1 onion
  • Ground coriander 1 teaspoon
  • Haram masala 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric 1 teaspoon
  • Tomato puree 2 tablespoons
  • Butter 50 g
  • Fresh coriander 30 g

I will say having a little electronic kitchen scale has made doing British, etc recipes much easier.  Might be worth the investment?  I actually think that way of measuring is probably more precise.  

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Multifunction-Stainless-Batteries-Included/dp/B0113UZJE2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=8K6RNWPPJIBG&dchild=1&keywords=electronic+kitchen+scale&qid=1590609187&sprefix=electronic+kitcen+%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-2

• Like 2

60 grams is a lot of ginger - it's more than four inches fresh, and certainly about three tablespoons dried.

If your son is not willing to improvise on recipes (a trait which is not "because he's an aspie" but "because he doesn't like to improvise" or perhaps "because he's new to cooking" - this autistic woman improvises in recipes all the time!) then I suggest you invest in a good quality kitchen scale, one which will allow you to adjust the tare weight repeatedly.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Hey Pippen - Looks like we'll be making this tonight!  Hey FuzzyKat -Also will look into ordering that scale - thanks for the link! And Tanaqui - remember all aspies are different that it why it's a spectrum.

Roughly 30 grams to one ounce.  So 2 ounces of ginger.  I would assume fresh.  The instructions read "Then, add chopped garlic and ginger, ground coriander, haram masala and turmeric". I interpret that to mean chopped fresh garlic, chopped fresh ginger , then ground dried spices follow.
Source: https://gordonrumsay.com/chilli-chicken-with-ginger-coriander"

ETA I didn't read very carefully.  It says to chop the ginger earlier in the instructions.  So it must be fresh.  I've used this much ginger in Asian recipes before; to me it does not seem excessive.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Myra said:

Thanks everyone!  Hey Pippen - Looks like we'll be making this tonight!  Hey FuzzyKat -Also will look into ordering that scale - thanks for the link! And Tanaqui - remember all aspies are different that it why it's a spectrum.

Sure -  but that doesn't mean everything we do is "because" we're autistic. Just like not everything other people do is because they're NOT autistic. LOL, can you imagine? "My daughter likes to go to parties and insisted on going to her senior prom, that's because she's NT." (Shudder at the thought of going to prom. Just picture me shuddering and shuddering.)

More to the point, and I think what annoys me, is that when you phrase it like that you make it sound like because he's not going to stop being autistic anytime soon, he's not going to grow and change as a person and, say, become more flexible with regards to recipes (and gonna point out that plenty of people are rigid with regards to recipes, no matter what their neurology says). But we all grow and change.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Sure -  but that doesn't mean everything we do is "because" we're autistic. Just like not everything other people do is because they're NOT autistic. LOL, can you imagine? "My daughter likes to go to parties and insisted on going to her senior prom, that's because she's NT." (Shudder at the thought of going to prom. Just picture me shuddering and shuddering.)

More to the point, and I think what annoys me, is that when you phrase it like that you make it sound like because he's not going to stop being autistic anytime soon, he's not going to grow and change as a person and, say, become more flexible with regards to recipes (and gonna point out that plenty of people are rigid with regards to recipes, no matter what their neurology says). But we all grow and change.

oh my - oh my

sorry I touched a nerve with you

Like any person, my 26 year old kid has grown and changed as a person throughout his life and I am sure will continue to do so.  But in some areas directly relating to my kid we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Please have the grace to just let this go.