Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW21: Lamplight by May Wedderburn Cannan

Robin M

7 hours ago, Robin M said:

Howdy! Nora Robert's newest book Hideaway arrived so all else has stopped while I read it.  I have way too many chunky books sitting around that I've started and put down. Hoping to settle down with Fellowship of the Rings soon.  I've been sitting on a heating pad for the past few days. I picked up the two cats together, of course they went limp,  and I must have bent the wrong way because I  pulled a hip muscle.  Stupid, since I've done it in the past and the same thing happened, which means I didn't learn my lesson the first time.  Ouch!  

Robin, take care of yourself and feel better soon. 

• Like 3

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - BOOK 1

Now we come to what I think of as the 3 most mysterious chapters in the trilogy, meeting places and beings that are not far from the Shire, but that are incredibly remote in time and connection with the Hobbits (who are considered "newcomers" to the far Western lands of Middle-earth).

chap. 6: “The Old Forest”
Old Man Willow and the Old Forest -- it all feels like it is straight out of George MacDonald’s Lilith or Phantases. And then the Bombadil cottage with the open door with light flooding out and the beautiful, wise Goldberry waiting for them --  feels like George MacDonald's title character in his short story: "The Wise Woman."

Tolkien loved trees and woods, and yet he was also keenly aware that Nature is not all tame and human friendly (the cultivated Shire), but that there is a savagery and cruelty in Nature as well. That side of nature is personified in the Old Woods and Old Man Willow:

• [this is actually from chap. 7]: "Tom's words laid bare the hearts of trees and their thoughts, which were often dark and strange, and filled with a hatred of things that go free upon the earth, gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning: destroyers and usurpers. It was not called the Old Forest without reason, for it was indeed ancient, a survivor of vast forgotten woods; and in it there lived yet, ageing no quicker than the hills, the fathers of the fathers of trees, remembering times when they were lords. The countless years had filled them with pride and rooted wisdom, and with malice."

Amazing how fast Frodo is daunted and is almost ready to turn back — and nothing has even happened to them yet! — just a few hours into their journey into the Old Forest:

• “They were depressed. A heavy weight was settling steadily on Frodo’s heart, and he regretted now with every step forward that he had ever thought of challenging the menace of the trees. He was, indeed, just about to stop and propose going back (if that was still possible), when things took a new turn."

Gotta love Merry — he remains cheerful, even in the gloomy/ominous forest — and as Frodo sings a song about “all woods must fail” and a tree branch crashes down just behind them, Merry quips:

• “They do not like all that about ending and failing... I should not sing any more at present. Wait till we do get to the edge, and then we’ll turn and give them a rousing chorus!”  😂

And the good and faithful servant Sam is the only one who keeps his head clear of Old Man Willow's enchantments, and recognizes it for what it is:

• ‘[Sam, talking to himself]: "There’s more behind this than sun and warm air... I don’t like this great big tree. I don’t trust it. Hark at it singing about sleep now! This won’t do at all!"

chap. 7: “In The House of Tom Bombadil”

Who or what is Tom Bombadil? Even Tolkien did not have a clear or complete idea. But he was also one of Tolkien's favorite characters. Tom Bombadil calls himself "Eldest" and says he was there before any of the other peoples arrived, and that he "remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn." Goldberry says he is "Master" -- yet not in the sense of ownership, but more as in "having mastery over a skill", as ownership "...would indeed be a burden…... The trees and the grasses and all things growing or living in the land belong each to themselves. Tom Bombadil is the Master…He has no fear…”  I am guessing that Tom Bombadil is sort of the "spirit of Nature" personified -- but not the cruel Nature personified by Old Man Willow, but rather a greater, and older, power -- a sort of "unfallen" Nature who comes into being, not long after Tolkien's Creator-God and His angels (Valar) sing Middle-earth into creation (from Tolkien's The Silmarillion).

And who or what is Goldberry? She is not an Elf, but also not a mortal woman. Tom says she is the "daughter of the River" -- so perhaps she is similar in nature to Tom?? -- a sort of nymph or naiad connected to a particular body of water (perhaps the Wythywindle River?)... All the descriptions of her clothing connect her to water and fish, and Tom says he first saw her sitting among the water reeds, and here, the Hobbits' first image of her is of sitting among bowls of water lilies.

Providence again:

• [Frodo, to Tom]: "Did you hear me calling, Master, or was it just chance that brought you at that moment?’
    [Tom, to Frodo]: ‘Nay, I did not hear... Just chance brought me then, if chance you call it. It was no plan of mine, though I was waiting for you."

And the powerful theme of Hospitality to the stranger — the theme comes from crucial ideas of Medieval European culture, of providing food and shelter for the wanderer who shows up at your door, and even further, equipping them in whatever way they need to continue their journey; and if you are a Lord or a King, you also give gifts of rings or even weapons. Hospitality was shown first in chap. 3 (Gildor & the Elves), then by Farmer Maggot (chap. 4), and now by Tom Bombadil & Goldberry:

• “Come now, my merry friends, and Tom will refresh you! You shall clean grimy hands, and wash your weary faces; cast off your muddy cloaks and comb out your tangles!’

chap. 8: “Fog on the Barrow-Downs”
Possibly the creepiest chapter in the entire trilogy. And once again, an element that pops up that Tolkien never fully explains: the Barrow-Wights. The best guesses are that the barrows were harmless originally -- barrows are the burial mounds raised over small tombs of royalty and lords, with their grave goods (like the Anglo-Saxon burial mounds in England), meant to honor the dead king (or lord), who was often a hero. The Wights are most likely NOT the undead spirits of those buried in the mounds, but are evil spirits, called up long ago by the powerful Witch King (we'll see him later in the trilogy! 😉 ) and by necromancy (black magic), he attached the Wights to the bones in the barrow.

Spiritual theme  -- trials/tests are used to strengthen a character's physically, but especially emotionally/morally:

• “There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, wailing for some final and desperate danger to make it grow… [Frodo] thought he had come to the end of his adventure, and a terrible end, but the thought hardened him. He found himself stiffening, as if for a final spring; he no longer felt limp like a helpless prey.”
  • “He wondered if he put on the Ring, whether the Barrow-wight would miss him, and he might find some way out. He thought of himself running free over the grass, grieving for Merry, and Sam, and Pippin, but free and alive himself... But the courage that had been awakened in him was now too strong: he could not leave his friends so easily… Suddenly resolve hardened in him, and he seized a short sword that lay beside him, and kneeling he stooped low over the bodies of his companions. With what strength he had he hewed at the crawling arm near the wrist, and the hand broke off…”

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Lori D.  Thank you so much for the wonderful notes!  I just checked ab Overdrive copy out so plan to truly start reading this weekend and am looking forward to using the notes!

@loesje22000 and othe Ragnar Jonasson fans ......he has a newish series called Hidden Iceland.  I have wanted to start with the first one and finally was able to listen to it. The Island which is the second in the series won many awards and has been availiable to me for awhile....now that I have read the first I suspect starting with the second would have been fine.  I’ll let you know in a few weeks.😉 The Darkness https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38480966-the-darkness was somewhat short, with a female detective literally racing to solve one last case before retirement.  I can’t say she was likable but she was fascinating.  This first book is sort of unique as it tells the end of her career...I have access to two more in the series which are both flashbacks I think. Planning to continue reading these as I suspect these are going to be filled with surprises......there were twists in the first book that I really did not expect but were totally in keeping with the character.  Great storytelling....using it for my Noir Bingo Square.

• Like 6

@Kareni  I forgot to say thank you for the links today.  I am happily collecting the Carla Kelly romances as she is one of my favorites.

Speaking of favorites I am almost done with the latest Anna Lee Huber ......A Stroke of Malice has Lady Darby at a lavish Twelfh Night party at the home of a Scottish Duke with cholera spreading throughout the land.  My version of easy plague reading I guess.....the cholera is simply background at this point although face covering has been discussed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45454139-a-stroke-of-malice?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=I6ozrmkm5C&rank=1

Some cover art.......

image.thumb.png.d825f46c716cafe4c210fca50859b2ce.png

• Like 5

On 5/26/2020 at 5:11 AM, Negin said:

Kindle book on sale today. Not sure if I should get this. Did any of you love it, or did any of you not? I'm probably the only person who's yet to read this. 

9780007205233.jpg

I liked it, Negin, and I've read it a few times along with the sequels ('Tis and Teacher Man).

On 5/28/2020 at 7:12 PM, Robin M said:

Howdy! Nora Robert's newest book Hideaway arrived so all else has stopped while I read it.  I have way too many chunky books sitting around that I've started and put down. Hoping to settle down with Fellowship of the Rings soon.  I've been sitting on a heating pad for the past few days. I picked up the two cats together, of course they went limp,  and I must have bent the wrong way because I  pulled a hip muscle.  Stupid, since I've done it in the past and the same thing happened, which means I didn't learn my lesson the first time.  Ouch!  

Ouch!  Hope you are on the mend, Robin!

• Like 4

On 5/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, LaughingCat said:

and Tom Bombadil, and barrow downs

I didn't read the trilogy until I was an adult, and these were about the only parts I found interesting. (Fantasy isn't a genre I enjoy.) As I understand these chapters, as the party moves further away from the pre-industrial rural England of the Shire, they move backward through English mythic time. The Tom Bombadil section is evidently the medieval English "Green Man" myth/archetype which, whatever modern folklorists think about it, in Tolkien's time was seen as a kind of lightly Christianized and harmless folk paganism. They move on (backward) to The Barrow Downs, which represent the darker pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon myth of 'barrow wights.' If I remember correctly, this is where Frodo is first spiritually damaged by the Ring (itself linked to the pagan Germanic mythos through the obvious Nibelungenlied connection).

After that I got kind of tired of the boring plot and haven't re-read any of it. But those parts were definitely interesting.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I didn't read the trilogy until I was an adult, and these were about the only parts I found interesting. (Fantasy isn't a genre I enjoy.) As I understand these chapters, as the party moves further away from the pre-industrial rural England of the Shire, they move backward through English mythic time. The Tom Bombadil section is evidently the medieval English "Green Man" myth/archetype which, whatever modern folklorists think about it, in Tolkien's time was seen as a kind of lightly Christianized and harmless folk paganism. They move on (backward) to The Barrow Downs, which represent the darker pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon myth of 'barrow wights.' If I remember correctly, this is where Frodo is first spiritually damaged by the Ring (itself linked to the pagan Germanic mythos through the obvious Nibelungenlied connection).

After that I got kind of tired of the boring plot and haven't re-read any of it. But those parts were definitely interesting.

For me, it's not so much the plot, but the spiritual journey and the themes that shine so brightly throughout the trilogy. As I have re-read the trilogy many times, and have taught it twice, I am still astounded by Tolkien's incredible depth and richness of culture through language choices. Tolkien's desire was to create a national myth for England, and what you mention here fits right in.Thanks for those additional tasty tidbits! 😄 

• Like 7

Most of my reading this week has been with a self-imposed deadline, but I really don't like the pressure. 

I finished Maya Angelou's I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings as an audiobook right before the library took it back. My previous exposure to Maya Angelou was miscellaneous poems and video clips, and some general knowledge. But this was the first book by her that I read. Honestly, I did not know until after I finished the book that she had written SEVEN autobiographies. I'm not sure that I want to read all seven, but I would certainly like to read more. 

I don't love all memoirs about childhood, but I usually love memoirs about childhood by poets. Earlier this year, I listened to Soldier: A Poet's Childhood by June Jordan which was also wonderful. Since June Jordan isn't as well known as Maya Angelou, I'll give her memoir a little shout-out here.

This week, and this morning, I am binge reading a book for my Danish book club Zoom meeting: Hvor Taler du Flot Dansk! by Abdel Aziz Mahmoud. The title translates to Wow, you speak good Danish! and the subtext is "Wow, you speak good Danish... for a Middle Easterner." Abdel Aziz Mahmoud is a journalist, and has been in Denmark since he was a toddler. Born in the UAE, his parents were refugees from Palestine. It is a reasonably interesting memoir about integration and Danish society.

I also, with no deadline (!), listened to another play from LA Theatre Works. This time it was The Graduate (play adaptation by Terry Johnson). Now, I have to admit that I have never seen the movie, so I can't make the comparison. But I know the premise and the song! I don't know what I expected, but none of the characters were likeable. That doesn't mean that I didn't like the story - I did. I just mean that there was no one to root for. Kathleen Turner was Mrs. Robinson - she had the role in the West End Production and reprised it for LA Theatre Works, and she was the perfect Mrs. Robinson. 

Another reason that I like these productions is that there is usually a short interview with either the playwright, a performer, or the director included. An interview with Kathleen Turner was included at the end of this one. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

I also, with no deadline (!), listened to another play from LA Theatre Works. This time it was The Graduate (play adaptation by Terry Johnson). Now, I have to admit that I have never seen the movie, so I can't make the comparison. But I know the premise and the song! I don't know what I expected, but none of the characters were likeable. That doesn't mean that I didn't like the story - I did. I just mean that there was no one to root for. Kathleen Turner was Mrs. Robinson - she had the role in the West End Production and reprised it for LA Theatre Works, and she was the perfect Mrs. Robinson. 

This is exactly how I felt about The Good Earth.  I liked the book, but I didn't like any of the characters.

• Like 7

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Story of the Champions of the Round Table by Howard Pyle

"Kings, queens, and great adventure await in the legendary land of Camelot

It all began with a boy and a sword. When young Arthur pulls an enchanted sword from a stone, his destiny is sealed: He is to become the king of England. Full of powerful wizards and valiant knights, the timeless tale of King Arthur, Camelot, and the Knights of the Round Table is a mix of jealousy, wonder, and heart that has captivated imaginations for centuries."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Thanks y'all. The heat seems to be working and I let my techs do all the heavy lifting yesterday.   I finished Nora Robert's Hideaway .  I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It was just meh which is unfortunate because there was the potential for greatness.  I am loving The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune.   

@Lori D. Thank you for all the wonderful details in Fellowship of the Ring. Makes me look forward to diving in again.  

@Negin  I haven't read Angela's Ashes yet either, but I do have it in my shelves.  One of these days! 

• Like 6