Menu

Good/easy freezer soup recipes?

DawnM

I don't have specific recipes, since most of my soups are ad lib. 🙂 

BUT  I have found that the only noodles/pasta in soup that my family likes for eating the next day (or later) are small pasta-- larger types soak up too much of the broth and you are left with a runny casserole, not a soup.  So when I make chicken noodle soup, I use thin spaghetti noodles broken into small bits (1 inch or so).  Reheats much better.

• Like 3

I do not use recipes for my soups either. I will sometimes look up recipes online for inspiration, but I never follow the exactly.
Cream based soups and cheesy soups don’t freeze so well, so I will make a soup base and freeze that to finish up after thawing. - potatoes, onions, carrots, sometimes corn cooked in chicken broth. Then I can turn it into potato soup or a chicken and corn chowder, or what ever I feel like. I also freeze chili (Texas style not New Mexico), Split pea soup, chicken noodle soup without the noodles. Tomato based soups also freeze well- vegetable soup with or without meat, chicken tortilla soup. M favorite lately is 3 ingredient tomato soup. It is super easy to make and tastes eat. I do make a lot of soups and freeze in smaller servings because I like soup, but canned soups have too much sodium for me.

• Like 1

Bean soup freezes well.

Navy beans (1 pound cooked until tender) (or great northern beans)--pinto beans are good too, but I don't know if I've made them with these spices
ham cubes, bacon, or a ham bone for flavor
sliced carrots
spices to taste--salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, rosemary (I generally have dried, leafy thyme and rosemary and just sprinkle some in or toss in a fresh sprig)

Bean and sausage soup
1 pound cranberry beans cooked until tender
1/2 to 1 pound sausage (we like kielbasa)
salt and pepper to taste

Chili freezes well, including white chicken chili.

Vegetable beef freezes fine--I use ground beef, leftover roast beef, or stew meat
Bag of frozen mixed veggies or any combination of veggies you like diced (corn, carrots, peas)
Diced potatoes
Beef broth (canned, leftover from a roast, or even gravy)
salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary
Jar or a can or two of stewed or diced tomatoes

If you want rice, pasta, barley, etc. you can always add that when you reheat it. 

It took me a long time to find a vegetable broth recipe I like. I freeze the broth in wide-mouth pint canning jars and can turn it into any kind of soup from there (black bean soup, West African peanut soup, red lentil soup, whatever).

Start heating water in the stock pot.

Chop or shred, adding as you go,

• about 6 carrots,
  • one to two large onions,
  • a head of Bibb lettuce,
  • 6 to 8 stalks of celery,
  • and a few leeks, if you want.
  • Add 10 whole peppercorns,
  • a goodly sprinkling of thyme (I use dried),
  • and a bunch of parsley if you like (I don't!).

Boil, then simmer partly covered about 45 minutes to an hour. Strain and cool. Note that you don't add salt at all.

• Like 1

Lentil soup. Actually made this tonight for the freezer.  From the Bettter Homes and Garden cookbook: 

*I don't usually have a ham bone or bacon available, but use sandwich ham instead. Just lightly sauté before the onions seems to work. And I don't do the lemon until the day of serving. 

IMG_8716.jpg

• Like 2

I make stock in my crock pot an freeze in Qt ziplocs. 

Chx Tortilla soup:

Saute onion and bell pepper in oil til soft. Add garlic for a minute, Stir in COOKED chx , some poultry seasoning and chipotle chile powder, then add 50/50 tomato cocktail (like V8 - we use our CSA farmer's) and chx stock. Simmer 10 mins, then add any other veggies: zucchini, corn and black beans are all good. Sometimes I add a can of diced tomatoes. 

Taste and adjust seasoning, esp salt and pepper. 

Freezes well. Serve with tortiika chips. Sour cream and cilantro for garnish.