Menu

Mackinac Island-Where to stay? Eat? Must See/Do?

AngelaGT

My 30th anniversary this July will be spent backpacking Pictured Rocks Trail along Lake Superior and backpacking in Isle Royal.  We will travel home with an overnight or possibly two on Mackinac Island.

Where shall we stay? Eat? And highlights?  Keeping in mind safe distancing and non crowded situations.

Sounds like a great trip!  We stayed at the Island House --really neat old hotel.  It's a bit out of the busy part of the downtown, which we liked.  It has its own restaurant too, so you can always choose to just stay there and eat.

• Thanks 1

Biking around the island is classic.  Lots of interior hiking trails.  Obviously fudge.  My daughter stayed at the bicycle street inn for her honeymoon and liked that but read each room description and view carefully as some have views over the water/town while other rooms might face another building, etc.

The carriage ride your is also classic but might be limited.  We have done a private carriage tour before.

Everything on the island is quite pricey....but we go at least every other year.....and have for over 40 years.    We eat the pizza buffet at the Murray hotel as it is cheaper, the kids love it, etc.   We are not dining out at sit down places or have a drink people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blogger Mom Kelle Hampton takes her family there each year.
2019 = https://kellehampton.com/2019/07/mackinac-island-ditto/
2018 = https://kellehampton.com/2018/07/the-summer-magic-of-mackinac-island/

I went as a child, and think it's a great way to celebrate your #30.

My SIL in Green Bay recommended islands in Door County.
https://www.doorcounty.com/newsletter/june-2019/the-islands-of-door-county/

She said there's one with no cars, without the touristy bustle of Mackinac.
Sadly, I don't know the name of it, but just throwing out another option.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, angelaguptathomas said:

They open 6/15.

I read today there is no date now for reopening and they canceled ferry service for the summer. So, if they do reopen people have to use their own boat to get there. 

We stayed in Mackinac last year and really enjoyed it. We’re not big drinkers though and that was pretty much it in the evenings it seemed. We were up early and one place was open for breakfast but it was really good. We also enjoyed our early morning walks watching locals deliver good to the store by horses. Everything we ate was good so I doubt you’ll have any issues there. We stayed at the Pink Pony place which is right on the Main Street. It was nice but if we go again we plan to stay at Mission Point because it was a bit farther from the crowds. We enjoyed all the trails and they weren’t very busy most of the time we were there but the Main Street and stores were usually packed until the ferry was done for the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1