Menu

favorite student planner?

I need to get a planner for my 9th grader to use for her assignments and tasks this coming year.  She's dyslexic and will be taking a pretty big leap in her independence this coming year, and I want to help her learn to manage her time and keep up with what she needs to do.  What's your favorite student planner?

13 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

This is what I get for my kids every year. I like the column down the side for subjects and the week at a glance format. There are other sizes of this style too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQ2RNPZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I like these, but we didn't end up using them for long (with younger-than-high-school-children) partly because we haven't been able to run a standard school year.  But we really like the options offered.

12 hours ago, Slache said:

I taught my kid to use one notebook similar to a bullet journal for school and life and it's been a huge success.

Slache, could you briefly share how you taught them or maybe link to a place you've described it?  I think my elder might really take to this, esp. since he'd be formatting it as he goes -- he never quite likes fitting into the planner space other folks design. 

Edited by serendipitous journey

I really like the one from Mardel- A Simple Plan.  I am using the student one myself and there is plenty of room.  I like the coils, it opens back easily.  I like the assignment pages- one week layout, 6 rows for subjects.  I use colored pens for each kid.  I got my 10rh grader one and she used it for part of the year, then her school gave her a different one to use second semester that had their dates and info in it.  

I'm planning to get one for next year for me!  Still deciding between the teacher or student editions.

• Like 1

We like this one. Even has a spot for grades in the back:

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Full-Year-Student-Planner-HS-90/dp/B00Q56PRSS/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2OEJEJCDSFZUA&dchild=1&keywords=student+planner+2020-2021+matrix+style&qid=1588363067&sprefix=matrix+student%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-24

With the undated ones, you can just get a new one when you hit a good stopping place or when you fill it up. My dd likes her planners a little smaller, and not cutesie.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

We like this one. Even has a spot for grades in the back:

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Full-Year-Student-Planner-HS-90/dp/B00Q56PRSS/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2OEJEJCDSFZUA&dchild=1&keywords=student+planner+2020-2021+matrix+style&qid=1588363067&sprefix=matrix+student%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-24

With the undated ones, you can just get a new one when you hit a good stopping place or when you fill it up. My dd likes her planners a little smaller, and not cutesie.

Thanks for that: it is the first one I've seen that might easily work for us.  Undated + 6 days/week.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, serendipitous journey said:

Thanks for that: it is the first one I've seen that might easily work for us.  Undated + 6 days/week.  🙂

That company has other similarly flexible planners.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Elan+Publishing+Company/page/F15689BC-FA97-4417-94D3-ED104D59ED0F?ref_=ast_bln&productGridPageIndex=2

ETA- specifically student planners: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/A65354D6-0A58-41EB-9536-8D8EFA3B7A16?ingress=2&visitId=0a14cfcc-4fb3-4c86-a450-71f0dcaf5e0b&ref_=ast_bln

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

Slache, could you briefly share how you taught them or maybe link to a place you've described it?  I think my elder might really take to this, esp. since he'd be formatting it as he goes -- he never quite likes fitting into the planner space other folks design. 

I've been using it for a while but he was writing down all the things in all the places and it was making me crazy so I got him one. We sit down once a week and work on it together for habit formation, but he uses it throughout the week by himself. This will make sense in a minute.

At the beginning of the year I buy a journal which I keep in a case with inserts, so he could have a calendar or sketchbook right there in it. There is no table of contents so you have to set up an index on pages 1-3. Anything that needs to be written down (booklist, shopping list, daily assignments, summary of a book) goes in the journal. At the end of the week anything notable goes in the Index. He will not reference Monday's assignments, but he will reference the list of books he wants to read so it gets indexed.

His Index looks like this, parentheses are my notes for this post:

4 Math tables
7 Library wish list
16 Christmas list (Notice the big gap. There was math scratch paper, sketches, daily assignments...)
18 World map (printed and taped)
19 Calendar (printed and taped)

Mine has months so I can find things that missed the index more easily, and is much more personal. Here is mine:

24 January
47 February
53 March
     April
     May
     June
     July (and on it goes to December)
2-5 The Pixels (this is visual tracking of fitness and illness)
6-7 I am (goals)
8-11 A Year in Photos (well, that didn't happen)

My Index is color coded, his is not. Personally, I find marking the beginning of a month helpful (I don't need to index this... crap what was that info? Well, it was in May after the drive to Colorado so it's just after page 72). Check pinterest for spreads. I don't do spreads and I don't do pretty; I do black pen lists with bad handwriting. Imma link a video I like. Or 7. We'll see. Ok, I can't find many. This is more of a November project for me.

Eta: A link

Edited by Slache
  • Thanks 1

Of all the resources I've used for homeschooling, OLLY (Homeschool Planning Software for Mac and iPad) has been what I've used daily through the years. Though not perfect, it's been instrumental in our scheduling and record keeping, my absolute go-to, detrimental to how we go about completing studies each week. I've continued to recommend it whenever possible. We would not be as organized and structured without the ease of this tool. I've used spreadsheets and planners in the past, but ditched them all after OLLY came on the scene.

Each spring, my ds is included in the scheduling process, as I plan for the following year of studies by breaking down each subject and its respective curriculum/materials into manageable lessons/assignments and enter them into OLLY. My ds has learned how to manage his time and adjust his schedule accordingly through the use of this tool, imitating my lead—highly important, imho—vs. handing over a planner to a student and just having them go at it. You can elect to give the student administrative privileges in the app, or not.

I love that OLLY is downloadable onto the desktop or iPad, not browser based or needful of the internet. You can save/backup OLLY so you don't lose info, or even sync it with Dropbox so that the desktop and iPad app can share data. It's still being maintained and offers updates periodically. Also, there is a user forum wherein one can submit questions and suggestions for improvement.