Menu

Bookcases, and Organizational Bliss

I spent a few days organizing my books, and filled up the 5 new Billy bookcases I bought at IKEA. :eek: Whew! If you've been thinking about organizing, all I can say is go for it--it's such a great feeling when it's all done! I put pictures of the school room in one of my albums (I think if you click on my name you can see it) if you'd like to take a look. I wanted to capture the moment for posterity, because who knows when or if it will ever look this good again!

:hurray:

Your schoolroom looks fantastic!

First the stove and now the bookshelves. Can you come over to my house? I have a room (or two) for you to work on. ;)

I'm cleaning out the gift closet this weekend. WOW! It is amazing what you find when you clean. I could stop buying for Christmas right now and we would be set. Unfortunately, I won't. :tongue_smilie:

Congrats on your cleaning out!

I love pictures of bookshelves & schoolrooms!

Is the large black desk from Ikea, too? I like the idea of separate areas to work, but one large area for big projects.

How did you make the labels for the boxes? The red/pink ones that say "SCIENCE," etc. on the clear plastic boxes.

Thanks for the ideas!

yvonne

Your school room looks great.

Did you anchor the bookcases to the wall? The Billys come with a doo-dad to do that with. I suggest it because if a bookcase falls on a child, the bookcase survives. I use 2 of the braces on each bookcase because our books are heavy-- I bought extras at a hardware store.

RC

To answer a few questions...These are the pieces we used from IKEA to make up our giant workspace (each kid gets their own cupboard and two of the drawers--they have individual desks in their rooms as well). We bought 4 desk tops, 4 cupboards, and 2 drawer sets.

63456_PE171070_S3.jpg63455_PE171069_S3.jpg

30744_PE119395_S3.jpg

The stickers I used to label the plastic boxes are from Lakeshore Learning. They're advertised as bulletin board letters, so I think you could probably pick them up at any teacher supply store. We keep our thin paperbacks in the boxes, to keep them from getting lost among the regular books.

The bookcases ARE anchored to the wall. My dh is a safety freak, but in this case I totally agree that anchors are an absolute necessity.

We did use chalkboard paint for the wall of art, but we've never ended up using it much as a chalkboard. It's usually completely covered with kid art.

Thank you all for the kind words! I love looking at other people's school rooms for ideas, and I was hoping other people would enjoy looking at mine. :001_smile: