Menu

Surgical mask pattern/info sharing thread :-)

mlktwins

Lady florida - I can make some for you. I'm not great at this, and currently my ties are just cotten jersey, but they can be switched out if you want something else - they are just in a channel, so you can pull them out and replace with whatever you like. You live nearish my mom I think, space coast?

For the Fu mask, what size are you making?  Three people: I'm 5'4", Husband is 5'5", son is 5'9".  We are all fairly slim and no one has an unusually big head.   I'm a competent seamstress but I haven't followed a pattern in some years. @Ktgrok?

Edited by Laura Corin

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

For the Fu mask, what size are you making?  Three people: I'm 5'4", Husband is 5'5", son is 5'9".  We are all fairly slim and no one has an unusually big head.   I'm a competent seamstress but I haven't followed a pattern in some years. @Ktgrok?

I fit in a woman's/teen/medium, but so does my 10 yr old daughter. For my very petite lady neighbor I'm making that size, but for ladies who are taller/larger build I'm making the largest one. DH just fits in the men's, might have to modify one for him and make a bigger one, but he has a HUGE head. As in, he can't find sunglasses that fit, and we've joked he needs a "big and tall" store just for hats. For my 7 yr old the small child fits, but like I said, the 10 yr old needs the woman/teen one. 

I'd sayin general, they are smaller than the age range describes. If unsure, make the bigger one. 

7 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I fit in a woman's/teen/medium, but so does my 10 yr old daughter. For my very petite lady neighbor I'm making that size, but for ladies who are taller/larger build I'm making the largest one. DH just fits in the men's, might have to modify one for him and make a bigger one, but he has a HUGE head. As in, he can't find sunglasses that fit, and we've joked he needs a "big and tall" store just for hats. For my 7 yr old the small child fits, but like I said, the 10 yr old needs the woman/teen one. 

I'd sayin general, they are smaller than the age range describes. If unsure, make the bigger one. 

Thanks, KT. I'm just seeing small medium or large, or numbered sizes. Where are the patterns you are referencing?

Can anyone recommend a donation amount for someone who makes masks and gives them to people for free?  I don't sew and have been using a neck gaiter for a mask, but found a local woman who is making masks and giving them to residents and asking for donations.  We're getting three - one for each person in our household.  Any suggestions on what would be a fair donation?  I have no idea, but I want to reimburse her for her materials and time.  

13 hours ago, kand said:

For the Fu mask, I found a medium much too big for me. I have a small face and need to wear petite glasses, but even on my more average sized dh, it was a bit big. 

My seam allowances may be bigger, just because DD10 and I are pretty inexperienced. That may be the difference? Or different patterns? We are using the craftpassion one, which seems to run small. Which Fu are you using?

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Can anyone recommend a donation amount for someone who makes masks and gives them to people for free?  I don't sew and have been using a neck gaiter for a mask, but found a local woman who is making masks and giving them to residents and asking for donations.  We're getting three - one for each person in our household.  Any suggestions on what would be a fair donation?  I have no idea, but I want to reimburse her for her materials and time.  

3.00 to 5.00  each is  what I am seeing near me. Someone was asking 20.00 and she got removed from the thread (it was local).

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Depends on where you are and the style. I just ask for shipping when I give them away so 3-5/mask. I sell them for more tho.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KatieinMich said:

3.00 to 5.00  each is  what I am seeing near me. Someone was asking 20.00 and she got removed from the thread (it was local).

Thank you!  That's about what we were thinking, but I want to make sure I'm being fair.  

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

And is it local pickup? if not, add in shipping costs. I mailed out some today, it was about $3 to mail a package of 5 masks. 

Local pickup.