Menu

Anyone else anxious to get NMF results?

We're waiting on pins and needles to hear whether DS (12th grade) has advanced from National Merit semifinalist to finalist status. This is way harder for us than waiting on admissions decisions. 😊 One of his schools gives big $ for NMF. From what I found on the NM website, NM mails notifications to high school principals on Feb 3. Not sure if homeschoolers would get notified on the same schedule. And then on Feb 10, NM notifies finalists of their status at their home addresses . . . is that date when the letters are mailed or supposed to arrive?

Has anyone else been waiting and received word yet?

ETA: Found an old thread where someone said their kid got a finalist letter on Feb 14. So maybe another week of waiting? DS did his part but I'm so worried that I might have screwed up the application. This is killing me.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 2

@TarynBIf you messed up, he'd already have received a letter at home telling him he didn't make it. Those went out last month.

Homeschoolers get the principal letter so look for a half big envelope size letter as early as tomorrow, more likely Monday, but maybe as late as next Thursday. The Feb 10th date is the mailing date, not the receipt date, for the student letter at the home.

Sit tight. It is on its way to you. I remember well how crazy I made myself last year at this time. Feel free to fret on here & then to rejoice when the letter (and your kid's certificate) arrives.

Is the big $$ school a first pick? Is your ds in there yet?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

@TarynBIf you messed up, he'd already have received a letter at home telling him he didn't make it. Those went out last month.

Homeschoolers get the principal letter so look for a half big envelope size letter as early as tomorrow, more likely Monday, but maybe as late as next Thursday. The Feb 10th date is the mailing date, not the receipt date, for the student letter at the home.

Sit tight. It is on its way to you. I remember well how crazy I made myself last year at this time. Feel free to fret on here & then to rejoice when the letter (and your kid's certificate) arrives.

Is the big $$ school a first pick? Is your ds in there yet?  

Thank you, RootAnn!

I didn't know they sent letters last month to those who didn't advance. That does help calm me down. 😊

Yes, the big $$ school has admitted him and accepted him to their Honors College. It's his top pick or maaaybe #2. It will definitely become #1 if he gets NMF because he's level-headed and the money will make the difference. It's our state flagship, not selective, but he spent four weeks there taking two classes last summer, and he likes the size and the resources they have to offer . . . including that he would get to live in one of the fancy newer dorms and not one of the regular (old and not well-maintained) freshman dorms.

Thank you for reassuring me!

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 2

If I haven't said this in a while, I LOVE YOU, ROOTANN.

I have seriously been having nightmares about having forgotten something on the application and waking up sweating, with a pounding heart. We have specifically targeted schools with NM for a reason. If I screwed something up, I'd never forgive myself.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just saw the first CC post from a mom in WI whose kid just got notified of NMF status from his school today. That lines up with last year's notifications -- the first couple of letters start to arrive on Friday and more show up Monday & Tuesday of next week.

For those of you with USPS Informed Delivery, know that the bigger envelopes do not usually show up in the daily email images.

@TarynB That's great that he's excited about a big $$ NMF college. My kid went (prett far) away to a big $$ NMF college & everyone wanted to know why -- do we have family there or ?? I still sometimes struggle to explain that it is a perfect fit & the deal they gave her is great. I just want to dance & sing, "Full ride!" But, of course, I don't. No one around here knows anything about National Merit unless they've heard my spiels over the years.

If anyone reads this who has a junior this year who might be a NMSF in the fall, make note of the posters in this thread for when the application opens up in the fall. Having someone who has been through it recently that you can bounce things off of or ask questions to is so helpful. A Hive mom from a previous year helped me & I exchanged about 50 PMs with another WTMer who was going through the process at the same time. It is better to go crazy together, IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

If I haven't said this in a while, I LOVE YOU, ROOTANN.

I have seriously been having nightmares about having forgotten something on the application and waking up sweating, with a pounding heart. We have specifically targeted schools with NM for a reason. If I screwed something up, I'd never forgive myself.

Yes, DITTO everything you said!

Please let us know when you get any word. Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

I just saw the first CC post from a mom in WI whose kid just got notified of NMF status from his school today. That lines up with last year's notifications -- the first couple of letters start to arrive on Friday and more show up Monday & Tuesday of next week.

For those of you with USPS Informed Delivery, know that the bigger envelopes do not usually show up in the daily email images.

@TarynB That's great that he's excited about a big $$ NMF college. My kid went (prett far) away to a big $$ NMF college & everyone wanted to know why -- do we have family there or ?? I still sometimes struggle to explain that it is a perfect fit & the deal they gave her is great. I just want to dance & sing, "Full ride!" But, of course, I don't. No one around here knows anything about National Merit unless they've heard my spiels over the years.

If anyone reads this who has a junior this year who might be a NMSF in the fall, make note of the posters in this thread for when the application opens up in the fall. Having someone who has been through it recently that you can bounce things off of or ask questions to is so helpful. A Hive mom from a previous year helped me & I exchanged about 50 PMs with another WTMer who was going through the process at the same time. It is better to go crazy together, IMO.

I love that your DD is so happy at her school! I see your posts about her and it sounds like she is really thriving.

Excellent advice, as always. Thank you.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

This is excellent advice. Absent RootAnn holding my hand, I very well may not have survived to this point.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hadley said:

Congratulations to all of you moms and dads as well!  

Well done!

Thank you. For us, I'm still kind of pinching myself! 

We started homeschooling when DS was in 4th grade. His teacher at the time understood. She had a lot of experience and was more than ready to retire. When I told her we were going to pull him out of public school and start homeschooling, she nodded and said "I know what he needs, and unfortunately he can't get it here." She had her hands full with two particular kids acting out all the time in the classroom (flipping over desks and chairs, throwing books, etc.), and still trying to teach some of her 4th graders to read. The school's guidance counselor declined to test DS for admission to the GATE program even after I met with her and the principal about it. (Side-note: Our public school, DS's former classmates, had exactly zero NM semifinalists this year! I wish I could send a copy of DS's NMF certificate to his former guidance counselor who pre-emptively decided he wasn't GATE material. 😆) My son was also being bullied and the principal's only advice was "Put him in karate classes so he can defend himself." Seriously. One of the very first things I did in preparing to homeschool was check out a random homeschooling book from the library, called The Well-Trained Mind, and then I found this forum. At the time I didn't know anyone else who had experience in HS'ing. We homeschooled primarily for academic reasons, but never "taught to the test" or did much test prep . . . DS would not have tolerated that. And NM was not ever our end-goal, but it does feel nice to have a little external validation in an endeavor that provides very little of that.

I could not have homeschooled without the resources and support available here. I've been feeling especially sentimental and reflective lately (preparing myself for DS going off to college this fall),and I just wanted to share that because I feel like this achievement DS has earned also belongs in a way to all of us here in this community. 🥰

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, TarynB said:

I wish I could send a copy of DS's NMF certificate to his former guidance counselor who pre-emptively decided he wasn't GATE material. 😆)

I did submit an article to our county newspaper about my DD's NMF ... hoping the counselor at the local high school (which has had 2 NMSF since 1985) would see it. She said no one but her students could take the PSAT there. Besides, she said, "homeschoolers don't go to college, so why bother [taking the PSAT]?" 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, RootAnn said:

I did submit an article to our county newspaper about my DD's NMF ... hoping the counselor at the local high school (which has had 2 NMSF since 1985) would see it. She said no one but her students could take the PSAT there. Besides, she said, "homeschoolers don't go to college, so why bother [taking the PSAT]?" 

One of my sons took the PSAT at our local high school. He earned an NM scholarship (the only homeschooler that year) while there were no semi-finalists from that high school.  Two years later, when I tried to register his brother at the same high school, they told me that they wouldn't test outside students. 

No one at the school could tell me who had made the decision to change access or why there had been a change.  I tried to address it with the district a couple times and got no where.  Thank goodness for amazing private schools that didn't feel threatened.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

One of my sons took the PSAT at our local high school. He earned an NM scholarship (the only homeschooler that year) while there were no semi-finalists from that high school.  Two years later, when I tried to register his brother at the same high school, they told me that they wouldn't test outside students. 

No one at the school could tell me who had made the decision to change access or why there had been a change.  I tried to address it with the district a couple times and got no where.  Thank goodness for amazing private schools that didn't feel threatened.

I was unable to react to your post, due to the lack of 🤬🤬 options. This carp makes me INSANE. And they wonder why so many homeschoolers turn rapidly anti-public school???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

I was unable to react to your post, due to the lack of 🤬🤬 options. This carp makes me INSANE. And they wonder why so many homeschoolers turn rapidly anti-public school???

I went round with them about AP exams too. It really bothered me that they made this decision on the building level rather that at the district level. 

We moved last summer and registering my youngest here was so easy. They were helpful, cheerful, and kind.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

That stinks. And is sad.

Our local high school usually has at least a couple of NMSF every year. The counselor's office, which coordinates PSAT/SAT, ACT, and AP exams, has fortunately been easy for us to work with as homeschoolers - very accommodating and friendly. The school usually has at least a couple of NMSF named every year. However, for this latest round, there were zero NMSF kids from that school, while three(!) homeschoolers from our town were named NMSF. I hope that doesn't cause sour grapes among the decision-makers within the school district next year and result in homeschoolers being forced to find other test locations at private schools in the future.

I understand some states have it written into the law that homeschool kids must be allowed to test at their zoned public school (Texas, maybe?), but that is not the case here.

@RootAnn, my local newspaper didn't publish anything about NMSF last fall when those were announced in the media, so I submitted an article, photo of DS's letter as proof, etc. They never published it. So I submitted it again. Still nothing, no article, no response to my email. My guess is that since the public school didn't have any NMSF, the newspaper didn't want to talk about any HS'ers being NMSF. 🤔 The big city paper nearest us published a story though, which included the names of the three NMSF HS'ers from our small town.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

@TarynB @Kassia Yay!!

We were very fortunate that the next tiny town over's small school guidance counselor welcomed DD to take the PSAT in both 10th & 11th grade. They only had 2-3 kids take it each year and weren't sure anyone would take it this year. 

On a purely procedural note, I was happy to see the NMSC accepted the ACT as confirming scores this year. There didn't seem to be any issues with using those and that would have been helpful when DD went through the process. I hope the NMSC starts doing more portal updates / email vs. just snailmailing in the next couple of years...

• Like 4

On 2/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, RootAnn said:

It all starts, if at all, with the junior year October psat right? I mean, nothing besides registering for that exam needs done, yes? Many thanks 

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

It all starts, if at all, with the junior year October psat right? I mean, nothing besides registering for that exam needs done, yes? Many thanks 

Correct. Junior year PSAT is the score that matters. Each state has a different cutoff score so you need a better score in New Jersey or California than in North Dakota or Wyoming. There are questions at the beginning of the PSAT that should be filled out correctly (graduating in 4 yrs is one), but nothing complicated or extra. There are not a ton of schools that give big $$ to NMF kids and if your kid is looking to attend lottery schools, it doesn't add anything special to their chances of getting in. If they are willing to chase the $$, be flexible in geographic locations, and not be closed to the idea of bigger schools, NMF can provide a debt-free college degree.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, madteaparty said:

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Correct. Junior year PSAT is the score that matters. Each state has a different cutoff score so you need a better score in New Jersey or California than in North Dakota or Wyoming. There are questions at the beginning of the PSAT that should be filled out correctly (graduating in 4 yrs is one), but nothing complicated or extra. There are not a ton of schools that give big $$ to NMF kids and if your kid is looking to attend lottery schools, it doesn't add anything special to their chances of getting in. If they are willing to chase the $$, be flexible in geographic locations, and not be closed to the idea of bigger schools, NMF can provide a debt-free college degree.  

I agree with RootAnn, BUT I would add a couple of things. IF 1) you know that you are going to fall into the ugly middle where you both do not qualify for need-based aid and cannot afford your expected EFC AND 2) your student is a good tester, THEN you might want to consider targeting schools that DO give generous NM aid (although the pool of cash appears to be shrinking as more NM kids are employing this strategy.) Doing this will require an early-in-the-high-school years evaluation of both your student's abilities and your finances.  It will also probably require an early test to establish where your student is scoring (you can do this with a free practice test available online.)

Looking back, I am so grateful for the members of this forum. I was a first-generation college student who only applied to one school, and I only did that because a friend was going too. I only figured out what NM even was through these boards (imagine my chagrin when I learned that my NM semi-finalist notification in California waaaaay back in the 80's actually, you know, meant something.) I went ahead and had DD take the PSAT as an 8th grader to get a pre-high school baseline. Her scores put NM on my radar very early-on. Now, I am very glad. Personal circumstances are very uncertain, and a full-ride or nearly full-ride may well be what it required for DD to get an undergraduate degree without crushing debt. It's not going to be an option for everyone, but for those for whom it is, it is absolutely worth some additional investigation and effort.

ETA: It is probably also worth mentioning that there are NO commuter options where we live.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1