Menu

Wilson Hill Academy 2020-21 Schedule

My daughter is graduating with WHA in May 2020.  I'm always looking for teacher recommendations so here are some teachers my kids have really enjoyed and the classes they took.

Mrs. McGahey - LA2 & LA4  (Mrs. Wise is new, but I know who recommended her and they give her high marks too.)

Mrs. Songer - Latin 1

Mr. Colvin - Rhetoric 1 & AP Art History (High school kids love his dry sense of humor)

Mrs. Lucas - Spanish 1 & 2 (Very gifted online Spanish teacher!)

Mrs. Seefried - Math 6

Mr. Reini - Algebra 2 (He actually makes math fun.)

Dr. Bailey - Honors Chemistry

Mr. Dwelle - Honors Physics 2 (My daughter says he is really good at teaching the math of physics.)

Mr. Martin - The Great Conversation 5 (My son has TGC 2 with him next year.)

Mr. Lawrence - The Great Conversation 1

Mr. Handermann - My son will have Latin 2 with him next year. He was recommended by a friend

Mr. Bradley - Two friends have kids in his class and they really like him.

Edited by Lori from Florida
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Looks like Mr Etter & Mrs Smith aren't teaching next year. At least they are being transparent about it now vs switching teachers mid-summer... (and, now, officially, all the teachers my kids had at WHA are gone.)

Yes, it appears there has been a significant amount of teacher turnover. I have a credit with them for 50% of tuition for one class, or I would probably just move on. I’m not sure if I want to roll the dice on a new pre-calc teacher; seems like such a critical year for math instruction. I may just eat the credit and go to DO pre-calc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Anyone know why Bruce Etter isn't teaching at WHA next yr?

No idea, but he actually left after first semester this year. We received a long, detailed email about that and other things on the horizon back in December. It didn’t specify the reason for his departure, though.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 5:38 AM, fourisenough said:

No idea, but he actually left after first semester this year. We received a long, detailed email about that and other things on the horizon back in December. It didn’t specify the reason for his departure, though.

Isn't he one of the headmasters? Did he leave WHA totally, or just resign from the teaching role?

His wife is still listed as a teacher next year. I just assumed there were getting to be so many kids that he was needed in his other role at WHA. (I'm not entirely clear what that other role is, but I got the impression he's like Dean of Students. So, if you have a kid who is causing trouble or having trouble at home, they bring him in. Plus, the kids think he's The Most Fun Ever,  so I thought he also was in charge of student initiatives.)

But I've only ever been an outsider at WHA since my kids don't take a lot of their classes & I'm not a true believer in their diploma program, so take all that with a pinch of salt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Isn't he one of the headmasters? Did he leave WHA totally, or just resign from the teaching role?

Yeah, I really don’t know. I only skimmed the note as he was not one of our teachers. We’re weaning off WHA and have only ever taken math and Latin there. It’s isn’t a good fit for our secular family. Although we adore Mr. Reini!

• Like 2

A few of my kids take some classes through Wilson Hill and we've been very pleased with them. We've been very impressed but the quality of teachers they have.

My oldest son had GC3 with Mr. Etter this year and loved him. I think all students love him. We were pretty disappointed when he stepped down. His wife still teaches at WHA, but I think Mr. Etter no longer works for WHA in any capacity. Their family has gone through a lot of challenges this last year and I wonder if that contributed to his decision to leave. His replacement Mr. Miles is really good, though no one can really bring the energy that Etter has. But, my son is very happy with Mr. Miles. I think the fact that he lived in Greece and is well versed in modern and Ancient Greek builds rapport. (My son is in Greek 2 and studied Koine before that. He's doing modern Greek on his own.)

His Greek teacher from last year left to begin his PhD in Geology. He had so much fun with Mr. Bowden. Mr. Colvin is his teacher this year and is more than capable. He has a dry sense of humor, but my son really likes him. 

Mr Martin is a favorite. He had him last year for GC2 and this year for Logic. A soft spoken guy, but a Tolkien lover! Any class taken with him will be well worth it. 

Mr Meyer is the Honors Physics 1 teacher and my son finds him to be knowledgeable and engaging. I think he's new this year, but he's done very well adjusting to teaching online. He adds in more than what's in the book and has a weekly quiz (mini test) beyond the assigned homework. I think that it is very beneficial to the students to help master the material. 

Mrs. Tammy Jones is probably MY favorite teacher. She teaches several classes, but no high school classes. My younger son had her for Ancient History last year and my daughters are doing LA1 with her this year. I think she also teaches Latin and some lower science courses. She has a natural way of drawing kids into the material and passing her enthusiasm on to her students.

My younger son has had Mrs. McGahey (LA2) - fantastic and this year Mr. Lawrence for GC1 and Mrs. Winn for LA3. He loves his classes and I've been pleased with work he's doing.

Next year we won't be able to use WHA because we will be living in an internet-scarce area overseas. I was a little put off this summer about some of the teacher turn over. But, they've replaced great teachers with more great teachers. They have had a knack for finding people who not only are highly qualified, but love what they teach. I hope they can continue to do so.

• Like 2

My son took GC1 with Lawrence and Lawrence was a good teacher, for anyone considering. 

I am really sad to hear Bruce Etter is not teaching anymore. It's probably going to always be beyond our reach financially and possibly academically, but a friend of mine said I need to sign up for any class he teaches because he is SO good.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...