Menu

Anyone able to check a recipe translated into Spanish?

dirty ethel rackham

DD is leaving tomorrow for her study abroad experience in Spain.  We are sending her with some gifts for the host family, one being my husband's famous chili recipe with some of the spices, and a homemade cornbread mix.  I used google translate on the recipes, but I need someone to check the translation.  My Spanish isn't good enough to see if there are any glaring errors.  

Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup whole wheat flour

½ tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

2 tbsp melted butter

2 tbsp honey, maple syrup, molasses or brown sugar

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place 10” cast iron skillet in oven while preheating.  Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.  In another bowl, combine liquid ingredients.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Lightly butter the cast iron skillet and pour batter into it.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes.

(If not using a cast iron skillet, use a lightly buttered 8” square baking pan but don’t heat it in the oven.  Bake for 20 minutes.)

Pan de Maíz

1 taza de harina de maíz (145 g)

1 taza de harina de trigo integral (130 g)

½ cucharadita de sal

1 cucharadita de polvo de hornear

½ cucharadita de bicarbonato de sodio

2 cucharadas de mantequilla derretida

2 cucharadas de miel, jarabe de arce, melaza o azúcar morena

2 huevos

1 taza de suero de leche o yogurt.

Precaliente el horno a 400 grados. Coloque una sartén de hierro fundido de 10 "en el horno mientras precalienta. Combina los ingredientes secos en un tazón mediano. En otro tazón, combine los ingredientes líquidos. Vierta los ingredientes húmedos en los ingredientes secos y mezcle hasta que estén combinados. Engrase ligeramente la sartén de hierro fundido y vierta la masa en ella. Hornee por unos 15-20 minutos.

(Si no usa una sartén de hierro fundido, use una bandeja para hornear cuadrada de 8 "ligeramente untada con mantequilla, pero no la caliente en el horno. Hornee por 20 minutos).

Greg’s Awesome Chili 

·       1 lb. ground beef (or ½ lb. gr. Beef and ½ lb. gr. turkey)

·       1 tsp. oil

·       1 onion – finely chopped

·       1 cup celery – chopped

·       1 green pepper – chopped

·       4 cloves garlic – pressed or finely chopped

·       1 can diced green chilies (mild) – 4 oz.

·       1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes

·       2 tsp. salt

·       1 tsp. sugar

·       2 tbsp. Penzey’s Chili 9000 chili powder (or any 1.5 tbsp. chili powder and ½ tsp. oregano and ½ tsp. cocoa powder.)

·       1 can red kidney beans – drained

·       Tabasco sauce to taste

Brown the ground beef and drain.  Saute onion, celery and green pepper in oil until softened.  Add garlic and stir for about a minute.  (If you like your chili smooth, not chunky, you can puree these veggies with the can of diced tomatoes in a blender.)   Add the beef back into the pot with the veggies.  Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the beans.  Simmer for about an hour or more.  Add drained kidney beans and continue on low until beans are heated through (about 15 minutes.)  Add Tabasco sauce to taste (we like about 4 drops.)  Serve with corn bread. 

El impresionante chile de Greg

• 1 lb. de carne molida (o ½ lb. gr. De carne de res y ½ lb. gr. De pavo)

• 1 cucharadita. petróleo

• 1 cebolla - finamente picada

• 1 taza de apio picado

• 1 pimiento verde picado

• 4 dientes de ajo - prensados o finamente picados

• 1 lata de chiles verdes picados (suaves) - 4 oz.

• 1 28 oz. puede tomates cortados en cubitos

• 2 cucharaditas. sal

• 1 cucharadita. azúcar

• 2 cucharadas. Penzey’s Chili 9000 chile en polvo (o cualquier 1.5 cucharadas de chile en polvo y ½ cucharadita de orégano y ½ cucharadita de cacao en polvo).

• 1 lata de frijoles rojos - escurridos

• Salsa Tabasco al gusto

Dorar la carne molida y escurrir. Saltee la cebolla, el apio y el pimiento verde en aceite hasta que se ablanden. Agregue el ajo y revuelva durante aproximadamente un minuto. (Si le gusta que su chile sea suave, no grueso, puede hacer puré estas verduras con la lata de tomates cortados en cubitos en una licuadora). Agregue la carne nuevamente a la olla con las verduras. Agregue el resto de los ingredientes, excepto los frijoles. Cocine a fuego lento durante aproximadamente una hora o más. Agregue los frijoles escurridos y continúe a fuego lento hasta que los frijoles se calienten (aproximadamente 15 minutos). Agregue la salsa Tabasco al gusto (nos gustan unas 4 gotas). Sirva con pan de maíz.

Okay, the first thing you'll have to do is change all the US measurement to metric.  There's no such thing as a 'cup' that's a standard measurement.  Everything is measured in grams, milliliters, and liters.  Best way's probably to get a metric scale for the cups -> grams, as one is volume and the other weight, so there's no easy way to convert directly.  For something like the lb of beef, just convert with a converter. (a lb is a bit less than half a kg).  The whole teaspoon and tablespoon conversions are likely also nonsensical.  I would convert to ml (which is easy as that's volume -> volume).

Cooking oil is aceite.  What you've got there is petroluem.

They will likely find it hard to find cornmeal and spicy peppers.  Same things with spicy chili powder or tabasco sauce.  Spanish people mostly can't stand spicy food.  Spanish food is a lot of seafood and smoked ham and olive oil.  If you want them to make this stuff, send along some of the Penzey's spice, some green chilis and cornmeal.

Don't forget to get rid of the gr. for ground in the translation.  Not sure if they could get ground turkey there?

I don't think the translation for baking powder is right?  But I didn't ever bake in Spain, so my vocab is short there.  Spanish people virtually never turn on their ovens.  At least not any I met.  Desserts are flan (stovetop) or they have fruit.  They may or may not have a cast-iron skillet - maybe give rough dimensions for a baking pan?

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Depends, I think - dry or wet and how much.

Usually dry is grams and wet is ml.  But for teaspoons/tablespoons - it's easy to find ml conversions for those, but I doubt they have an easy way to measure unless they also have spoon measures.  Which they probably do?  But not sure - they really do a lot less baking and may just use random spoons from the drawer or throw in a 'dash' or a 'pinch'.  I might just put the ml conversion next to the spoon measurement?

For all the sugar types in the cornbread recipe, I'd just say honey.  They are very unlikely to have access to maple syrup (if they can find it it's expensive and no one knows what the heck it's for), brown sugar my dd just told me she couldn't even find in baking central Germany, and I'm not sure molasses is common either.  I'm sure they can find honey - that would be ml.  Of course they have regular white sugar - that would be grams for larger quantities, but not sure about teaspoon size - I'd go with my recommendation about giving a ml/spoon equivalent.

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Anyone around to answer ... For dry ingredients like salt and sugar, would you use ml or grams in Spain?  

I’d generally use 1tsp : ~5grams   My relative’s in Spain use mass measures rather than volume for most things, but the wife is a professional chef which may be part of that

so much can go wrong with slightly different overseas ingredients, perhaps that I’d be inclined to tuck in a set of American measuring spoons and cup as part of the gift to the hosts, rather than trying to figure out the recipe conversion.  Or anything easy to send like the spices needed to be part of the gift. 

i’d expect Learning how cooking is done in Spain to be something your dc May learn in time abroad. not something you have to figure out now

• Like 1

Well, baby girl is at the airport and waiting to board her flight.  I ended up putting both cucharada/cucharadita and the metric volume measurement on the advice of my friend who lived in Spain.  I thought about the maple syrup, but it really isn't representative of the Midwest.  Plus, that would have put her suitcase overweight.  She had to take things out to get it under 50 lbs.  

• Like 2