Menu

Air fryers?

MEmama

I use mine all the time, and actually decided to replace with a Ninja Foodi Grill/Fryer this Christmas because mine is rusting out.

I make roasted potatoes, chicken including "fried" chicken, and hamburgers in it. The layout of our rental is such that grilling outside is difficult, so that's my replacement. I also like that I don't have to heat up the oven.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, G5052 said:

I make roasted potatoes, chicken including "fried" chicken, and hamburgers in it. 

How do you make roasted potatoes? I've made french fries (both regular potato and sweet potato) in ours, but I had no idea you could do roasted potatoes. If I could do those, it would definitely be more useful! Could you roast other veggies in there? Broccoli? Green beans? 

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My toaster oven (my new beloved Breville) has an air fry mode and really like it for all things potatoes and frozen "fried" things. It's also nice because it's a multiuse appliance instead of just single use- I wouldn't have room for an air fryer on its own. 

That’s what I'm trying to avoid, too. I’ve used my mil’s for all sorts of things and have already put together an entire Pinterest board full of recipes, but I want to make sure it’s useful enough to dedicate precious kitchen space.

I’m always wary about buying small appliances; I regret purchasing a crock pot because I never, ever use it and can’t make it fit into my routine. I can see a lot of uses for the air fryer, but am curious how other people use them. I don’t want it collecting dust in a few months, KWIM? 

9 hours ago, Bambam said:

How do you make roasted potatoes? I've made french fries (both regular potato and sweet potato) in ours, but I had no idea you could do roasted potatoes. If I could do those, it would definitely be more useful! Could you roast other veggies in there? Broccoli? Green beans? 

Pinterest is full of roasted veggie ideas! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

One of my limiters with an air fryer was the amount of food it could fit too- I think they've started making them bigger, but it would have resulted in me having to do multiple batches and that was a no go. 

I can definitely see that if you have a large family or entertain.

We have only three of us (all too soon to be only two), so the small size actually seems like a bonus for our family. It would be more energy efficient than the oven and in the summer I wouldn’t have to heat up the house. 

59 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

We really like how sausages kielbasa, brats turn out in ours.  We also do veggies a lot. Plus the kids like to use I think the basket is just easier than lifting out a hot pan.

This morning I was reading that peppers&onions can be blackened like on a grill; we would eat those all the time. We’ve made veggie sausages in mil’s and they turned out great; the salmon we tried was the best I’ve ever made (DS rejoiced that it wasn’t dry. Lol. He’s not wrong!). 

We were joking that a college student could pretty much just have a microwave and an air fryer and be set! Lol

I say go for it. Based on your posts, it seems like you could use it for many things. I don’t have one, but I still say give it a go!😊

ime, if I can think of things I already make that could be made in the new appliance (maybe even better/faster), then it works out well. If I have to think of *new* things to make in my new appliance, then I didn’t really need it to begin with and it will live under my counter and be rarely used. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 11:29 AM, mmasc said:

I say go for it. Based on your posts, it seems like you could use it for many things. I don’t have one, but I still say give it a go!😊

ime, if I can think of things I already make that could be made in the new appliance (maybe even better/faster), then it works out well. If I have to think of *new* things to make in my new appliance, then I didn’t really need it to begin with and it will live under my counter and be rarely used. 

I think you’re right. I’m going to do it!

I have a perfect spot on my counter and think it will get a lot of use. I’m hoping it will help get me out of my latest cooking funk!

• Like 1