Menu

Latin for Children

This program sounds like fun from people's descriptions, but the first 2 sample chapters you can download look HORRIBLY TOUGH! All that grammar and declensions (I don't even know what this means much less how to spell it!) with new words put in really looks tough and hard to teach....a lot of words on the page full of stuff that I have no idea what it is. Also, I downloaded the sample DVD they have from the site and it was some kids chanting and the teacher trying to teach something with a not too clear nor exciting explaination. Am I missing something here?

Beth

I haven't looked at the online samples, but we love the program. The DVD's are of a dad teaching his daughters. Sometimes the chants go a little fast for me, but my boys seem to prefer it. I guess it's because it keeps them on their toes, which makes it more interesting. They have learned so well with this program! I doubt we'll ever switch. But if *I* were the only student in the house, the dvd's would not be my favorite part. To me, it feels like I'm watching a boring home movie. But the boys like it and they're learning, so I won't complain.

The grammar at the beginning makes it so much easier to grasp the whole thing as they progress. With the Martha Wilson Latin Primer, we did a year of that and walked away knowing very little latin. I'm sure I did a horrible job teaching it, but when finished, all we had were vocabulary words and chants. Again, this is likely my own fault. Halfway through the LFC, the boys were able to use sentences and interpret simple phrases. They knew how to USE those vocabulary words they'd been memorizing.

Big thumbs up here!

With my classes I have found that it is more intimidating for adults than children. The key is commitment to practice Latin daily, to memorize the words permanently and to learn good study habits. The funny thing about Latin is- it is really tough. Sometimes people want a quick, easy and fun program that they don't have to do anything with so their children will be speaking like Romans, but the reality is that this is a long, challenging task. I happen to find it very rewarding:) I prefer to start LfC A in 4th, B in 5th and then head into a program like Latin Alive or Latin in the Christian Trivium in 6th. That is working well with my children and my students. My oldest is in 8th and he began High School Latin in 7th because I was still learning to get this stride down.

I have 12 students in LfC A right now and all of them are enjoying it! I have 9 students in Song School and they love that program.

Maybe you'd prefer to take a look at Lively Latin instead. LfC may just be "too much, too soon" and not the right fit for you -- regardless of how much other people love it.

:iagree:

We are using Lively Latin. (I'm not familiar w/LfC). It is fun, it gets done easily, we're all learning, and no one is overwhelmed.

We love Latin for Children. We're currently on Primer B and find that it's relatively easy to understand. I don't have a background in latin and am finding it easy to teach. I do use the History reader and the Activity book. We're even trying out their Spanish for Children, which is new this year. I wish they had published an Activity book for that program as well because I think it really reinforces the learning. I will add that I do have an advanced 8yo and he seems to learn languages very easily. That may have something to do with why this program works so well for us. But I do plan on using it for my 5yo eventually.

HTH

Just fyi Jenn has the older version. In the new version the dad is teaching with a white board and the chanting is with the group of kids. The chants are slowed down a bit in the newer version.

Oops! Thank you for catching that! Is the newer version preferable? I guess I'll find out when we go on to the next level in January, but I'm curious.

Oops! Thank you for catching that! Is the newer version preferable? I guess I'll find out when we go on to the next level in January, but I'm curious.

I have the older DVDs which work quite fine with the newer workbooks. There are only a few minor differences. I bought a workbook to go through the program myself. He does chant rather fast on the old DVDs, but we just pause it and goes through together more slowly. I'm amazed at ds' retention.

I was intimidated looking at the samples, but I like how the program eases into the lesson. They do build upon each and by the time you reach a chapter you should be ready for it. There are also built in reviews which you could spend more than one week doing.

WE love the program and plan on using it through LFC B and C.