Menu

Tax question

Scarlett

I read that we can claim our child as a dependent until he is 19.....but does that mean for the year in which he turns 19? For instance he will be 19 in April of 2020....so when we file our taxes for 2020 (in 2021) can we claim him as a dependent for the last time?  

He is not a student.

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I read that we can claim our child as a dependent until he is 19.....but does that mean for the year in which he turns 19? For instance he will be 19 in April of 2020....so when we file our taxes for 2020 (in 2021) can we claim him as a dependent for the last time?  

He is not a student.

The IRS verifies pretty much everything as of December 31 for individual taxes. So in this case, he would be 19 on Dec 31, 2020, so no, you couldn't claim him in 2020. He would be aged out for the 2020 taxes. 

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/filing-requirements-status-dependents/dependents/dependents-2

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 2

I obviously know nothing of your particular situation, but as long as you provide over half of his support and he doesn't make too much money himself, you can claim him indefinitely. We still claim our 25 year old who lives with us and does not work. Also our 21 year old who only works part time and lives with us. My aunt claims her 39 year old who lives with her and doesn't work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VaKim said:

I obviously know nothing of your particular situation, but as long as you provide over half of his support and he doesn't make too much money himself, you can claim him indefinitely. We still claim our 25 year old who lives with us and does not work. Also our 21 year old who only works part time and lives with us. My aunt claims her 39 year old who lives with her and doesn't work. 

I might be wrong, but I think you can even claim someone if they don't live with you.   I'm pretty sure we did that for a couple of our dd's when they were first getting started on their own in rather complicated situations, and we financially supported them.

15 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I might be wrong, but I think you can even claim someone if they don't live with you.   I'm pretty sure we did that for a couple of our dd's when they were first getting started on their own in rather complicated situations, and we financially supported them.

Yes, you are right.