Menu

purging curriculum—what criteria do you use?

To get rid of:

Is the output requirement just an insipid test to see if the kids did "work" for a certain period of time? As in, are there busywork (according to me/my kids) writing assignments, worksheets, etc?

DO I have to significantly alter it to make it work for us?

Is there something else that does the job as effectively and is easier to implement?

Does it require lots of time on the computer? (I hate computer-heavy curriculum, for most things).

Mostly if I know we won't use it again, or if it's one I bought used just to read because if heard a lot about it, but wasn't really planning on using it. I come across a lot of very cheap, older materials. Sometimes they might be a little useful. Other times, it's just good to build my knowledge and glean a little bit from how they do things, but it's nothing I would have bought full price because I know it's not going to fit. 

But I keep a lot. I've got a ten year gap between my youngest and the next older sis. I kept mostly everything that I loved and am using with her. All of the kids' picture books and readers and educational toys just got moved into her room as the ten year old was outgrowing them. 

Honestly, the curriculum, if it can be called that, that I get rid of quickly, is the stuff that well-meaning family members buy me that has titles like "Common Core Reading Comprehension Practice". It is usually uninspiring 1-page reading comprehension worksheets with lots of extra work, printed on what seems like newspaper pulp. It might have some nuggets of awesomeness hidden amongst drivel, but I am not willing to find out. And I have nothing against Common Core in theory, but those types of workbooks are just terrible, IMNSHO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yes! This is how I feel about the crappy little "science" kits they sell everywhere that random relatives always seem to want to buy for gifts. They never work, and they're just junk. 

YES!!! We are sciency, so everyone assumes we love those kits. I hate them. 

Some criteria for me (which may not apply to any of you):

• price point--- is this something that I could easily and inexpensively repurchase if I needed or wanted to later? Cheap junk can go with no regrets!   I will hang on to something pricey, even if one of my kids didn't use it.  I have sold things later on to fund the stuff I actually did want or need.  We have VERY limited income, so I am less inclined to just get rid of things because I want something new and shiny.
  • availability-- is this an out of print or other hard to find item?  I don't want to go on another expensive hunt for the holy grail...
  • good fit for me, the teacher -- I have kept things that I know *I* can teach, adapt if needed, and work well with, even if I don't have a child currently using it.  If it is a tool that I use well, I'm more likely to use it again.
  • successfully used by more than one child -- I have six kids, from high school to preschool.  If it worked well for me as a teacher, and for more than one child, it's a keeper.
  • storage space -- I have no usable attic or garage space for storage of school things.  It is all tucked away in our living space somewhere. So if the box or shelf is full, it's time to make some hard choices.

• Like 1