Menu

Geometry online

I know there is a thread with a list of online geometry classes, but I’d love to hear what people are currently using and enjoy. This is for a student who does pretty well in math but doesn’t like it. She will not be a math major for sure! It doesn’t need to be the most difficult out there but also don’t want to take the easy way out. 

Thanks! 

My ds is taking Geometry with DO (self-graded.) We like the asynchronous aspect, I like the cheaper self-grade, but we are overwhelmed a bit by the time it takes to watch all the videos and do the assigned problems, homeworks, tests and exams. I've been wondering how they handle this in the live classes, but I haven't asked. There is algebra review incorporated, which is nice. The text is the Jacobs geometry text.

I will say that DO's syllabus only has 32 weeks of work scheduled - as opposed to our 36 week school year. We learned last year in algebra I the hard way that we need to look closely at the syllabus and not just go by ds's "I think I'm doing ok" warm, fuzzy feeling. 

We have had a lot of opportunities to work on the executive functions of planning out a schedule and triaging when total work (not just math) gets overwhelming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SusanC said:

My ds is taking Geometry with DO (self-graded.) We like the asynchronous aspect, I like the cheaper self-grade, but we are overwhelmed a bit by the time it takes to watch all the videos and do the assigned problems, homeworks, tests and exams. I've been wondering how they handle this in the live classes, but I haven't asked. There is algebra review incorporated, which is nice. The text is the Jacobs geometry text.

I will say that DO's syllabus only has 32 weeks of work scheduled - as opposed to our 36 week school year. We learned last year in algebra I the hard way that we need to look closely at the syllabus and not just go by ds's "I think I'm doing ok" warm, fuzzy feeling. 

We have had a lot of opportunities to work on the executive functions of planning out a schedule and triaging when total work (not just math) gets overwhelming.

Do you have access to a live teacher/help if you need it? That’s pretty key for us to have someone for her to go to if she gets stumped. 

My dc is enjoying Unlock Math.  It has daily review, and at any point you can go back to redo a previous section for more practice with new problems.  Unlike many online math programs, this one is NOT all multiple choice, so I know my dc is really understanding, not guessing.  There's a bit of a learning curve in figuring out exactly how to input answers properly to earn credit,  but it's not unreasonable.  If problems come up, they are fairly quick to respond.  There's a 14-day free trial,  if you want to check it out, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.  

ETA:  My dc previously used DO for several years, and we thought he was great, but we realized dc needed an instructor who spoke faster to stay focused.  The instructor of Unlock Math is Canadian and speaks at a fast pace, just like dc prefers, and it seems to be working. It's all online except for the notebooks dc has used to work out the problems. 

Edited by klmama
corrected length of free trial
  • Thanks 1

a long time boardie (Jann in TX) has myhomeschoolmathclass online. It’s a live class, uses a text book, and has access to the video recordings to watch later if needed. She also will do a one-on-one session with the child if they need additional help understanding something (no extra charge). We haven’t used geometry yet (next year), but this is our second year and we’ve been very pleased with it. 

• Thanks 1

Regarding my suggestion about Unlock Math - you should know that students aren't working out full, two-column proofs on paper and submitting those.  There are too many possible variations for that to be computer-checked.  Instead, practice problems include partial-credit sections that have the student work through proving a step of a proof, receiving any correction needed, moving on to the next step, etc., and at the end the student sees the full proof displayed.  You could supplement with extra proofs, if you wanted to be sure your dd was able to work them out completely on her own.  I plan to do that, as well as have my dc work on constructions.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:57 PM, Nam2001 said:

Did you happen to look at Schole Academy geometry? 

I did... I am not a math person, but I remember thinking Schole geometry was more proof heavy than a traditional course and since dd is not a lover of math I was concerned about that. Also the 3 day a week schedule of Schole geometry was a deal breaker — their attendance policy is strict and I like more flexibility in our schedule. I try to keep live online classes to 2 days a week if possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

I did... I am not a math person, but I remember thinking Schole geometry was more proof heavy than a traditional course and since dd is not a lover of math I was concerned about that. Also the 3 day a week schedule of Schole geometry was a deal breaker — their attendance policy is strict and I like more flexibility in our schedule. I try to keep live online classes to 2 days a week if possible. 

Yes, the 3 days a week isn’t ideal for us either. 

• 2 weeks later...