Menu

Saxon Algebra 2/Geometry/Advanced Math Grading

I need some help figuring out how to assign the grade for Geometry when it's part of Algebra 2 and Advanced Math.  There are three ways we can proceed for the next three years and I'm trying to figure out which makes sense for us.

Option 1 - 1 credit for each year and the grade is based on the year of work

Grade 10 - Jacobs Geometry - Course title:  Geometry

Grade 11 - Saxon Advanced Math - Course Title:  Pre-Calculus

Grade 12 - Calculus - Course Title:  Calculus

Option 2 - 1 credit for each year and the grade is based on the year of work

Grade 9 - Saxon Algebra 2 - Course Title:  Algebra 2 with Geometry

Grade 10 - Saxon Advanced Math - Course Title:  Pre-Calculus with Geometry

Grade 11 - Saxon Calculus - Course Title:  Calculus

Option 3 - 1 credit for each year and the Geometry grade is based  on ????????

Grade 9 - Saxon Algebra 2 - Course Title:  Algebra 2

Grade 10 - Saxon Advanced Math - Course Title:  Geometry with Advanced Algebra

Grade 11 - Saxon Calculus - Course Title:  Trigonometry with Pre-Calculus

Grade 12 - Saxon Calculus - Course Title:  Calculus

It's option 3 that is confusing me.  How do I assign a Geometry grade when part of the course is in grade 9 and part of the course is in grade 10?  If I just grade using the school year, it seems that the Geometry grade is missing the first semester of Geometry.  In order to include all the Geometry, do I need to figure out which lessons in Algebra 2 were Geometry and move those grades to the following year?

I am probable overthinking this.  However, we need to make a decision fairly quickly since the school year has already begun.  My daughter has been working in Jacobs but I'm not sure that's the best route anymore.

Edited by MsAlimar
Accidentally posted before I was done

So I did Grade 9: Algebra 2 with geometry

Grade 10: Advanced Math (pre-calculus with trigonometry)

Grade 11: here we did part of the Calculus book and part of a statistics book so I named it math topics in Calculus and statistics

Grdae 12 : Calculus

Hope this helps some. 

I forget exactly how I did it, but I counted Algebra 2 in 9th, and the first half of Advanced Math as Geometry in 10th.  The second half of Advanced Math I called PreCalc for 11th.  It's similar to how Art Reed explains on his website- basically I divided Advanced Math into 2 years worth of work.  She placed into the local college Calc class already, after the first half of Advanced Math.  They dont seem to care what books we used or what the course is called.  

DD 1:  Jacobs Geometry was in 9th. Listed as Geometry.  10th was Saxon Algebra 2 (and listed as Algebra 2).  any geometry was review and I didn't worry on titles.  11th was Saxon Advanced for book, and she did that in one year so it was Pre Calc.   12th was not using saxon, but did calc.   and this is caused no issues with college admission. she has bachelors in math (and ele engineering and comp sci).  In other words, option 1 on your list.

dd2.  jacobs was in 10th, Geometry.  Saxon alg 2 was in 11th.  (listed as Alg 2).  grade 12: Saxon advanced book and listed as Pre Calc. got done what we got done.  not a stem major. took clep exam for college credit after saxon advanced and got her math class out of the way for her major.  In other words, option 1.  and when/if they did some geometry in saxon after jacobs, I didn't worry about the review or putting it as part of titles.

enjoy the options

If you want to go with Saxon, make sure she gets an A and then it doesn't matter what happens when or what is called what.

Or you could call it Integraged Mathematics 1, 2, and 3.

ETA: You could also withhold her grade until the end and then give that grade to her for all three courses.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1