Menu

When IEP accommodations are not provided

Story I’m glad they’re working hard on it! I guess I’m confused whether he gets extended time, scribe, or dictation tech for tests? Why repeat in study hall if could do extended time? My kids would be too tired to get more out. Just thinking.

Anyways glad it was a productive meeting!

He does have extended time in his IEP. But he doesn't use it. He is allowed to have his tests read aloud, but he prefers not to, and when he is in a room where the teacher is reading the questions aloud, he will ignore that and work ahead. He tends to rush through in order to get it over with, I think.

The new plan we are trying out is for him to do his quizzes and tests as usual. Then to have a second chance to go over it in his academic assist study hall. The academic assist teacher will go over the questions and answers with him to see if he wants to change anything, and she will change his answers on the paper, if he gives a different answer verbally than what he marked on the paper. So she would be scribing.

The idea is that he tends to do better on the second time through things. So he can try it his way the first time. And the second time through, he will have the chance to give his answers orally, have a scribe, etc.

He may not want to do this. But the academic assist teacher has been having success getting him to work on other things in study hall. His science teacher has noted that he is not productive when he needs to work in class, but the academic assist teacher says he works hard on things in study hall.  He does not have enough sustained attention and is not self-directed enough to work hard on things in a regular study hall. He would fritter away the time. The academic assist study hall has support built in, and the teachers (there are two) are interacting with the students and not just proctoring.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 3

It sounds like that teacher has time to spend with him.  

I was told by a teacher with my older son when he was in 7th grade, that he was rushing through tests.  

I asked him about it and he had no idea!  He was surprised by it and I think he felt like he was doing what he was supposed to do.

So I think it was good feedback for him.

But who knows what your son’s perception is.  

Definitely my son didn’t have an understanding that there was an expectation he check over his work.  The teacher commented on it and it was something where it was not coming across well to her, and he was not aware.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

Story, you are doing a great job!

Thanks! It does not always feel that way, so I appreciate it.

DS was able to end his first quarter with a C- instead of a D+ after correcting his science test. He's started out the second quarter well, because the first two in-class projects played to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

We also created a new incentive system at home to hopefully increase his willingness to let us review homework and help him study (he usually refuses help). He does better when he has multiple exposures to the material, so we are hoping that more review at home will help.

We are running into a technical issue with the new note-taking method and may need to tweak the plan a bit. I'm not sure DS will be able to share the documents with me digitally (that was part of the plan, so that I can help him, if needed), due to blocks on the school computers. So we still have to figure that out and may have to do it differently than first proposed.

His annual IEP meeting is during the first week of November. For multiple reasons, I do think his current class is the best placement for him, even if the academics are tough. One of those reasons is that DS is vehemently opposed to switching classes. When he is not on board with any plan, it creates problems. And, honestly, some of his reasons have merit, and we also have some concerns about switching classes. So we are hoping we can establish some new, better patterns and show in these next weeks that he has a willingness to do what is necessary to remain in the class.

I think the science teacher could be better, to tell the truth. But he seems to be stepping up more now. So if things can go a little better on both ends -- teacher and student -- there is potential for the class working out overall.

I'm choosing to focus now on making his next IEP better, instead of making any further fuss about the execution of his current one.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1