Menu

LDS General Conference October 2019

maize

We're getting a temple in my town! The people here have been praying and working for it for years. It's incredibly exciting because we're 3.5 hours away from our nearest right now. It's likely the new one will be a mile away. I'm still feeling amped up. 

I loved all the sessions so far and especially loved the new theme. 

• Like 7

I think the changes to young women’s are going to be great.  It kind of bugs me that they announced the temples in the Women’s session.  After all, it would bug me if they announced something like that that affects everyone in the Priesthood session.  Unless maybe they thought the attendees would be more reverent during the announcements in the women’s session.  🙂

Just now, Michelle Conde said:

I think the changes to young women’s are going to be great.  It kind of bugs me that they announced the temples in the Women’s session.  After all, it would bug me if they announced something like that that affects everyone in the Priesthood session.  Unless maybe they thought the attendees would be more reverent during the announcements in the women’s session.  🙂

Temples have been announced before in Priesthood session. And other significant announcements have been made during Priesthood session in the past. That was one reason I was happy to see them announced during the Women's session.

Since everything is broadcast these days there is no reason men who don't want to miss something can't listen in to the women's session. I always watch Priesthood session, and my husband was in the room with us listening to President Nelson's talk when he announced the new temples. 

7 minutes ago, maize said:

Temples have been announced before in Priesthood session. And other significant announcements have been made during Priesthood session in the past. That was one reason I was happy to see them announced during the Women's session.

Since everything is broadcast these days there is no reason men who don't want to miss something can't listen in to the women's session. I always watch Priesthood session, and my husband was in the room with us listening to President Nelson's talk when he announced the new temples. 

Oh, I didn’t know that.  Seems like it would be simpler to just make general announcements in the general sessions, but whatever.  It’s not like it really matters.

• Like 1

There's been a significant trend under President Nelson's leadership to establish more parity between the ways males and females organize within the church. The women's Relief Society conference used to be not a part of General Conference at all; making it an official GC session and then more recently setting it up in semi-annual alternation with Priesthood session gives equal time and attention to men and women during Conference weekend. 

The recent adjustments to the youth program also help equalize programs and resources between males and females. 

(For anyone reading and not familiar with organization within the LDS church, General Conference is a worldwide church conference that happens twice each year, in April and October; there are four two hour general sessions, split between Saturday and Sunday, and a fifth Saturday evening session that currently alternates between a Women's Session focused on women and girls and a Priesthood Session focused on men and boys. My family watches the Conference stream online

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/?lang=eng

It makes for a lot of church in one weekend but is something I always look forward to.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched yesterday and will be watching today. DH is/was young men's president in our ward so the changes announced for the young men are exciting for us. 

Love the new young women's theme.

Loved President Nelson' s talk in the women's session.

• Like 1

If bishops actually make the functional shift of delegating ministering responsibilities to EQ and RS, that in and of itself would be a huge shift.

We have been in various wards where parts of this have been done (direct and involved contact with youth) and it was great. Looking at this with our current ward dynamics....😬

• Like 2

"Discipleships is not about doing things perfectly, it is about doing things intentionally."

And the bit a few sentences later about how God knows we are not perfect and loves us as much when we fail as when we succeed.

Actually, kinda want to cut this entire talk up into quotes and put them all over my house.

"When you feel your heart with the true love of Christ you leave no room for rancor, judgment, and shaming"

• Like 3