Menu

Heating in English hotels/guest houses question (trying to figure out what clothes to pack)

TravelingChris

My temperature regulation is shot and I have a hard time sleeping if it is too hot or too cold.  Hardly any hotels I have ever been in have been too hot.  The problem is usually too cold.  And when we lived in Belgium, we traveled a number of times to England but only stayed once and that was in a rented apartment.  There we had to put money into something to have the heat go on.  Is this something that is common in hotels and guesthouses?  Or are they normally well heated?  Or are they normally very cold?    In my house, I keep our temperature at around 22-23C.   I can probably tolerate 20.5C with a heavier night gown and maybe added warm pullover  but really below that I will need to bring long underwear, etc,  I am packing tomorrow for our trip.

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

If they’re a newer building you’ll be fine, but some are definitely on the damper and draftier side than what your used to.  Nothing some layers (a sweater and undershirt) and socks can’t fix.  But yeah, I’d like expect anything with radiators is probably in the 16-19 C range, in my experience 🙂

When I was in Scotland (not England, I know, but same general area) in October I found most buildings were VERY warm, but as Arctic Mama said, the older ones not so much. The only time I was cold (and I get cold very easily - Florida girl born and raised) was in the place we stayed that was a renovated castle - so pretty darned old. It was drafty and the bathroom was FRIGID no matter what we did. Or at least, frigid to a person from the subtropics. 

But restaurants, the more modern hotels, etc were quite warm and toasty - almost too much so for the long sleeves I'd brought to wear. I'd have been better in lighter clothing and a jacket. 

Agreeing with all. Most guesthouses are warm and have central heating which is included in the room price, probably 19 degrees; the money in the slot thing might come up in an Airbnb, but then it would be in the description. I would wear jeans or light corduroys; camisole; long sleeved top; lightweight fleece or cardi. Layers, just in case. For night time, I wear lightweight flannel in spring and autumn.

Edited by Laura Corin

I don’t think you will have a problem in a hotel in England as far as heat goes.......if you wanted a/c that is another story.  They should all have central heat with a thermostat in your room.  I don’t think you will be able to make the room really hot, maybe 70.  It will likely turn off when you are not in the room.......

I am not sure about a guesthouse (assuming you mean an individually owned holiday house situation) but would expect the heating situation to be spelled out in the description.  I normally take a long sleeved soft nightgown to sleep in.....or Dd takes a long sleeved t shirt and leggings.

I forgot to add to make sure the radiator is actually turned on even with central heating.  My husband is notorious for turning radiators off in rooms he doesn’t expect anyone to be in during that day or night......I think that is pretty typical British behavior and we have been in hotel rooms that aren’t heating at first because the radiator is off.