Menu

Online class rant- my professor is a micro-manager

I've taken a ton of online classes, but this is the first time I've had a prof who controls every little detail this way. Usually, the prof will put up the week's assignments and give you the full week to complete them. This prof puts up the week on Tuesday nights, eliminating my 2 best days to complete work, then she does things like opens a quiz for just 2 days in the week. She uses way too many words. Just pages and pages of explanation, with super specific ways she wants things submitted or formatted, and says things like, "you will get zero credit if it's not formatted exactly as I have specified."  Yet, she hasn't graded anything so I have no clue if I'm hitting the mark. 

My dh is already tired of listening to me complain about her.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 4:12 AM, wintermom said:

Complain to the head of the faculty. Or switch to a different course section, if that's possible. Sounds like an inexperienced prof, or perhaps it's their first time teaching an on-line course instead of in-person.

She's actually their only online teacher of this course. She only teaches online and I think she has 4 sections this semester. 

On 9/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, Peach said:

That would drive me nuts, especially not putting things up till Tuesday. LEt me guess, that Monday can't be used as the 'end of the week' beause stuff is due Sunday?

You are correct. Things are usually due on Saturday, so she completely takes away Sunday-Tuesday. It's maddening. 

I went into her office hours and mentioned that I find the page hard to navigate because of how much is up on it, and the way it's spread out in different sections. She proceeded to give me a lesson on how to navigate between all of the pages. 

I give up.

Off to write my essay that has to be precisely 750-800 words, not including quotations!

• 1 month later...

Ugh... I feel your pain.  That sounds very challenging.  I hope you've been able to get into a groove with her now that we're almost at the end.  

My online prof this semester also had an odd calendar - she started the "week" on Friday and we had to post on the chapter within the first 2 days of the "week" (Fri/Sat) then a chapter quiz on Thursday, then start a new week the next day fully prepped.   Fortunately, she hasn't been a micro-manager but it took several weeks for me to settle into this odd schedule.  

My son's EN 101 teacher also has precise page amounts and gives an F if they don't comply.   A 3-page essay must be 3 full pages.. not 2.5 or 2.75.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, PrincessMommy said:

Ugh... I feel your pain.  That sounds very challenging.  I hope you've been able to get into a groove with her now that we're almost at the end.  

My online prof this semester also had an odd calendar - she started the "week" on Friday and we had to post on the chapter within the first 2 days of the "week" (Fri/Sat) then a chapter quiz on Thursday, then start a new week the next day fully prepped.   Fortunately, she hasn't been a micro-manager but it took several weeks for me to settle into this odd schedule.  

My son's EN 101 teacher also has precise page amounts and gives an F if they don't comply.   A 3-page essay must be 3 full pages.. not 2.5 or 2.75.

Wow, those page requirements are dumb. 

It turns out that she really ended up liking my writing so I’m sailing through the course with a 98% and on my last essay. 

I’m ready to be done.