Menu

The Post-Labor Day Teachers Lounge 9-3-2019

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning and welcome to the Lounge! You can blame the font color on my 15yo ds as he chose it!

Today's theme should be obvious but if not: it is the day after Labor Day - and I'm not prepared!  Are you?

Are you prepared for this week? Here: somewhat but not fully. I know some events I'm going to and some school work
my son needs to get done. But not nearly as prepared as I believed I wanted to be! Ah, well. Today is the only one we're 
promised, right? Focus on today and prep for a better tomorrow.

If you haven't already started school, are you starting this week? Here: we had a light start last month and are supposed to 
start full schedule this month. Today may be light, though, with full starting tomorrow!

What's your school year look like? Here: aiming for a set number of weeks but doing it via Terms now instead of semesters. 
We'll see how this goes! 

Talk to me! 🌽

Today is day one of school for us. The younger two are off to public school, and I've set the boys to reading while I dig out the girls' room.  While the girls do a reasonably good job of trying to pick up, I'm much fussier and today is a big sort out the dressers/dust the nooks and crannies/throw out rubbish kind of cleanup.  I've found an incredible amount of socks who will be reunited with their buddies in the lost sock basket once they've been through the wash.

The boys and I watched CNN10 to start off the day, and I've missed Carl Azuz. Of our homeschool memories, hearing his voice daily has been a happy one. We're starting slowly back into our routines--hope to catch a little laser tag early this afternoon before the girls make it home.  Younger ds is off to public school tomorrow, so this is a rare chance to do something with just the boys. 

• Like 1

Glad to see you, prairiewindmomma! 
I understand getting things done while the kiddos are otherwise occupied! During our light month of school in August,
I tried to get the living room in order for the full schooling schedule that starts this week - or is supposed to. I'm not quite
as far along as I'd hoped. But since I didn't really have a PLAN - well, you know how that goes. However, I did manage to get a school
corner set up. I should probably go clear off the flat spots now...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We started school yesterday.  It is our Labor Day tradition.

Likewise. I promote DS to his new grade and raise his allowance each Labor Day.

We're going a bit more efficiently than I expected, so far. More gets added to the schedule next week.  I'm enjoying teaching subjects that interconnect so nicely (Latin with biology, Latin with Spanish, history with Latin and Spanish, history with biology, logic with the history of science...). i love moving up from the thinking of Where are the Great Pyramids on this world map? to What are the consequences of the agricultural revolution?, you know?

Our school year is every weekday July 1 to June 30, except a few deliberate breaks. However, July and August are a separate "summer session" in which we do mostly light, fun enrichment stuff. This summer we mostly had either Thursday or Friday off. I think I'll keep this change in place next summer.

• Like 2

Our tradition after Labour Day is a fun Not-back-to-school gathering with other homeschool friends. There are only 3 boys left in our group - the 3 youngest for each of 3 families. All the older siblings are either in high school or university. It's REALLY nice to still have our course group of friends, even if it's small. 

• Like 1