Menu

Wwyd for vertical nail split?

Pen

Sally Hansen nail hardener (https://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-Nails-Regular-Transparent/dp/B000NUW8V6) and a bandage. I tend to chip the smallest toe on both my feet. I don’t dare to use superglue. If my fingernails get chipped, I do trim them to prevent further knocking on the nail and propagating the crack before I bandage.

Edited by Arcadia
Add url
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

We use this nail repair kit.  It might be cheaper at your local Target or CVS or something. You paint the nail with their polish, dip into powder, and then file down to relative smoothness when the powder sets. Works rather well.

This is exactly what a nail tech does with powder and acetone. I’ve never had luck with SH nail hardener. It’s like regular polish for me. Always breaks in the end. I think it’s more of a preventative than a repair tool.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

If it's a temporary injury or split, I'd trim the nail as short as possible and try a nail hardener. If that doesn't work, then I'd go to a nail salon and see what they recommend.

I've got a fingernail that started splitting about 3 years ago and nothing I did at home helped. The nail salon first tried the nail repair concoction where you apply some sort of polish then dip the nail in powder then file down and apply normal nail polish. That didn't work and the nail would continue to split underneath. What we found works is applying an acrylic nail and letting the acrylic nail grow out and off. Then I care for the nail at home for 4-6 weeks with it as short as possible and painted with a nail hardener until the split begins again. Then I go back to the nail salon and have a new acrylic nail applied. It works for me because I only have to go to the nail salon 2-3 times a year. (I don't like manicures.) For whatever reason, my nail split begins under the nail before it reaches the surface.