Menu

Nature study: transporting pond animals

Sarah0000

And other messy things. What do you use? I've been wearing a fanny pack and using a very small container and a Ziploc bag for bugs but we're going to want to catch, transport, and release bigger and messier creatures like tadpoles, fish, and lizards which also require me to drive to. I'm ordering a 1.5 gallon aquarium/terrarium for at home but that would be inconvenient to carry around on our nature walks when I have a two year old to also contain.

Any pro tips? 

A small pail, or 5 gallon container for big things, old trick-or-treat pail works great too because it angles in at the top so it is difficult to jump out of scale the walls.  Also plastic kitty litter container with lid of necessary.

Edited by Syllieann

1 hour ago, Syllieann said:

A small pail, or 5 gallon container for big things, old trick-or-treat pail works great too because it angles in at the top so it is difficult to jump out of scale the walls.  Also plastic kitty litter container with lid of necessary.

But how do you contain that without spilling in the car and especially without a toddler getting into it while you're still walking around and need to chase him down?

Maybe I need to save pond trips for when DH can come or keep the toddler home.

9 minutes ago, Sarah0000 said:

But how do you contain that without spilling in the car and especially without a toddler getting into it while you're still walking around and need to chase him down?

Maybe I need to save pond trips for when DH can come or keep the toddler home.

Or you could simply observe at the pond and leave the wildlife to lead their wild lives.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, EKS said:

Or you could simply observe at the pond and leave the wildlife to lead their wild lives.

We're doing observational experiments like seeing if they prefer dark/cold, humid/dry, etc. It takes several hours or days of observing frequently. 

We have a little plastic terrarium like this from Walmart. It was less than $10 if I remember correctly. Ds6 collects lizards and bugs and frogs and tadpoles in it but we only allow him to observe them in there for a few hours at most.

We have a pond on our property so it's not hard for him to collect frogs and such himself, even near the pond. He grew up around the pond so he knows the safe areas of the pond to explore and he can swim (not that you'd want to in that nasty overflow pond lol). If your son isn't well versed in open water safety, I wouldn't want to teach him, collect specimen and watch a 2yo all at the same time. That would be exhausting if you don't have someone to come with you and be an extra set of hands or your 2yo is the type that would be content at least for a little while in a stroller or a baby carrier. 

I have to agree with the poster above though. We always remind the kids that animals are happiest living free and in the wild. While they are fun to observe, we need to do our best to observe them in their natural habitat and if we do catch them, we need to return them to their home ASAP. Can you not observe them in their natural habitat and determine what conditions you find them in to decide if they like warm/cold, humid or dry? It seems like that would be easier and more humane than catching and experimenting on them and possibly killing them from mishandling or accidental spills. You could take a picture and talk about where you found them and decide what they prefer based on where they choose to live.

You can order a wide variety of bugs and amphibians to observe as they grow. We've considered getting some aquatic frogs as pets so ds has frogs that he can observe without disturbing the one that are in the wild.

• Like 3

The kitty litter container has a tight fitting lid.  I have also done a small container inside a larger one.  Mostly though, I didn't do that when I had a toddler to chase.  I guess I have had older child carry things in a wagon so I could manage baby or toddler.  The folding wagons are super handy for lots of things or toddler can be worn.

Eta:  like others have said I have my kids release after a short time, generally.  But we have plenty of invasive species that citizens have been asked not to release if caught.  So they can keep those if they wish.

Edited by Syllieann

please note that catching tadpoles is not a good idea. there is a frog/tadpole disease that is spread by just this activity that is wiping out lots of amphibians. 

I agree with the other posters that say catching and doing experiments of wild creatures is unnecessarily cruel and will probably result in some deaths. Much better to do scientific observations of wild creatures  by looking and taking photos. much more environmentally friendly to  try and create habitats in the back yard to encourage wild things to naturally move in. things like bug hotels etc

• Like 3

I'm going to continue to let him collect bugs and worm type creatures to bring home and try to make special trips with just him to observe everything else. We could also evaluate the plants and water in addition since we won't be able to do overnight observation of creatures. I have no idea what kind of tests we could do on pond slime, plants, water quality? I'll have to research that aspect.

Maybe you could find an off-road stroller to use with your two-year-old. Or, use a regular stroller at a park that has well-maintained paths through some woods and wetlands. I think it would be a lot less stressful if you could set your toddler somewhere safe while helping your other child catch critters. The stroller could also help you carry tools and buckets and such.

Edited by pitterpatter

10 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

I have no idea what kind of tests we could do on pond slime, plants, water quality? I'll have to research that aspect.

One thing that is fun is to look at pond water under a microscope.  The slimier the better.